Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Risorgimento 1859 - The Franco-Austrian War

Default Re: Risorgimento 1859 - The Franco-Austrian War

Κυδος!!! Great Great Great!!! Why the Austrian Flag is black and white?

Apologies, you see it like this because I'm using a graphic utility called GEM to enhance the visuals with custom SSAO\HBO and much more saturation.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

UPDATE LIVE! Campaign release v1.0

Download link HERE
    Major changes:
    - Cavalry is no longer the king of the battlefield. Several restrictions applied to the number of units available, big morale reduction (-2 to all cavalry), to counterbalance this, the penetration coefficient and charge bonus have been increased; when the attack succeeds, cavalrymen hit hard.
    - Several changes to unit stats and numbers available
    - The campaign is fully playable as Savoy, France or Austria-Hungary. Starting conditions have been generated taking into account historical figures and challenge for the player, so you wont find a 100% accurate depiction of each regiment at least for now.
    - Austrian flag fixed
    - Integrated Sir_Battleterrain pack with new and improved terrain features and battlefield sizes
    - Many fixes to normal maps and models not displaying correctly in some cases.

Known issues (campaign):
    - When you select a new general and spawn him into the campaign from the recruitment menu, the General's Staff 3D model will still use the default vanilla assets. I have still not figured out why this happens.
    - The campaign map flags are still vanilla as every type of .DDS compression proved useless, I have not being able to determine the correct format, if anyone has info on this matter I'd appreciate it.
    - Some buildings may not work as intended, namely some military buildings in remote regions (Valle D'Aosta, Mantua) will not spawn troops despite all changes done correctly. I think this is hardcoded somewhere very well hidden behind layers of hexadecimal numbers which I wont touch because I need to preserve my mental sanity. It is nothing major though, you'll be able to recruit as many units as you need.

Put the campaign folder under data\campaigns, always make sure to backup the existing files and overwrite them afterwards when you'll be asked to do so.
    Since this is a campaign map modification which uses the so called God Startpos method invented by husserltw, I strongly recommend to save often as any campaign mod is bound to crash.

I thank
    Midnight-Blue766 for having willingly provided some aid in the basic composition of the campaign map.
    If you find any more bugs, please do let me know.
    Last edited by Sirlion; March 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM.
    My Mods and Projects

- Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures

Hi sirloin I want to congratulate you on the release of the mod. Its amazing how quickly you released this when most other mods take years, and even years after those years just to release a custom battle version!! I was wondering if you had any future plans to mod other eras during the Victorian age?

Well, first I thank you for your words. By a fortunate series of circumstances, I am, right now, in a position that grants me the three most valuable things needed for modding and creation in general, time, assets and motivation. I'm working with the Victoria Total War team at the moment, you can check it out in my signature.

Most mods take years becajse they have a great scope and need manpower to be maintained and created. I try to do as much as I can by myself so I dont have to wait for other people's work. Many have really busy lives and therefore they do not have the time, or are too tired at the end of the week, to commit as much on a project. It may seem "selfish" but really, I think it is just another method to speed up things and improve one's skills. The results so far prove me right.
    My Mods and Projects

I understand well thanks for clearing that up, and I will check out Victoria Total War, I just didn't know that mod was still active!

Congrats Sirlion with your release. Excellent job!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post

Known issues (campaign):
    - When you select a new general and spawn him into the campaign from the recruitment menu, the General's Staff 3D model will still use the default vanilla assets. I have still not figured out why this happens.
    I haven't downloaded this but did you make a unique variant model for EACH general? I know that doing the ACW generals, I have to create a variant model for each one or they end up in the old Empire default British uniforms. Just a thought. Congrats on your release and mod.
    ACW 2.6 - American Civil War Released:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ar-June-2-2019

Thank you. Yes the relevant generals have their own models, however the campaign adds random generals after a couple of turns with the classic NTW message "new general appointed" and the AI will spawn them into the campaign no matter what you do.
    My Mods and Projects

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great pics!

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

I've been steadily improving my workflow for a while. With the last models I wasnt entirely happy though, in particular, I've never really learned how to make the epaulette right. Well, now I've made it. The first unit to benefit from this small but consistent change for the better is a unit of French Dragoons

Front

Back

Better sources also did a great job at reminding me that I still need to be more consistent with the details. I finally got them right.

Next up is French Guard Artillery and then most likely Guard Zouaves.
    My Mods and Projects

Très Chic !

Wow great work Sirlion, you always impress me with your many talents, by any chance will you be making the armies that fought during the Hispano-Moroccan War 1859-1860, by chance? https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hispano-...59%E2%80%9360)
    It's an era that little is spoken or commented during these times.
    There are some great battle depictions of one of my favorite Catalan painter Maria Fortuny
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Mari%C3%A0_Fortuny

Also not forgetting the Carlist Wars
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Carlist_Wars

And the Cuban Wars.
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ten_Years%27_War

And the Philippine Wars
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/1872_Cavite_mutiny
    Cheers.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Battle_of_T%C3%A9touan
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Battle_of_Castillejos
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/First_Melillan_campaign

Last edited by Steveholmes; March 15, 2017 at 11:57 AM.

I know you love Spain, but unfortunately I know next to nothing about its history after the middle ages apart from the Spanish Ulcer and late 30s.
    If I had to choose something to work with after the 1860s (that is not the Franco-Prussian war or the Austro-Prussian war of course) I'd probably go with the Russo-Japanese war, which I will no doubt do in the future.
    My Mods and Projects

Yes Indeed I do love Spain, because it's History is a bunch of twisted mishaps of romanticized glories and tortuous suffering that lead to nothing.
    As the the Russo-Japanese war is another conflict, that I'm also very interested.
    All in time, if curiousity ever hits you to find out more, and time allows you, feel free to investigate those historical moments.
    Please continue to post your works on the site.
    Last edited by Steveholmes; March 15, 2017 at 01:54 PM.

French Guard Artillery

Complete remake of the Zouaves using the original janissary model as a base. More accurate and positively better to look at

Remake of the Generals Bodyguard using better sources (the last was from 20 years ahead!) they now fit the period.

My Mods and Projects

Sirlion, this mod is very promising. BTW this is my favorite period, along with pike and shot period of more than 150 years (1500-1650). I like these wars: Crimean 1853-1856, Italian war of 1859. (part of Risorgimento), and especially these 3 wars - Austro-Prussian 1866., American Civil War and Franco German war of 1870-1871.

With this mod you opened a possibility to make a series of these mid 19th century wars. What do you say and what are your favorite wars of aforementioned?

Well, I have a mild interest in the Crimean War and probably Austro-Prussian war, generally any war where the Austrians lost is of interest to me.
    Otherwise as I stated two posts earlier I'd do the Russo-Japanese war of 1901-1905. That's it. I'm a Napoloenic guy first and foremost, this is just a transitory diversion before I get back to 1805.
    My Mods and Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    Well, I have a mild interest in the Crimean War and probably Austro-Prussian war, generally any war where the Austrians lost is of interest to me.
    Otherwise as I stated two posts earlier I'd do the Russo-Japanese war of 1901-1905. That's it. I'm a Napoloenic guy first and foremost, this is just a transitory diversion before I get back to 1805.
    And these wars that I like were also transitory towards modern warfare of Russo-Japanese war and 1st WW.

Please check also 1st (1912.) and 2nd Balkan war (1913.), they are like WW1 in small.

And in all games with Austria I play for Austria - my forefathers were Croatian Serbs - Austrian grenzers.

Russo-Japanese War will require great effort. Napoleon's engine (or primarily artificial intelligence) is not suitable for war with machine guns, repeatable rifles with a range of more than a kilometer and trenches. (I played WW1 mod and AI behaved very bad in these conditions)