Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: [Farewell]True Legions for True Romans / Obsolete

Default Re: [Submod]True Legions for True Romans / Marian Update preview and release

Romans in Gaul

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: [Submod]True Legions for True Romans / Marian Update preview and release

Quote Originally Posted by diego007 View Post
    Hi LL,

Awesome on the shields. Love the true marian shields.

However, I'm not sure if this is actually nitpicking but I notice 2 things:
    > 1 model of the shield has the side edge to be somewhat "pointy". Not sure if this was intended to create variations.
    > After so long of admiring your shields I've finally found out the thing that doesnt feel right with your shields, despite how good it looks. They are too "clean". All the shields look so perfect, no dirt, no scratch, no damage. Lost a bit of immersion to me. What do you think?

Comments aside, the quality is as good as always
    "After so long of admiring your shields I've finally found out the thing that doesnt feel right with your shields,"

sorry if i've hurt your feelings,

I think you mention this,

Clean

Scarred & Stained

Besides, i like accurate nitpicking and i was already working on scarred/dirtier shields but one step at a time. If you've limited time for modding you gotta make a schedule to not to be overencumbered by the workload. However, i don't like vanilla style damaged shields and etc. they were like ruined. So, to keep a balance and give a good look for the shields somewhere in between.

Thank you for the feedback,

@Happy Gilmor,
    Thanks mate, hope you like the work so far Great screens!

@Eldgrimnir,
    I've not decided what to do next my friend,

I prefer this way i mean as submod because i love make changes, do extra things, polish some, remaster that and this.
    Last edited by Little Legionaire; February 05, 2017 at 01:31 PM.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks for the answers, KAM and Legionaire

Outstanding job. Already got it! keep it up guys )

Battlescar Update,

All Legion shields including cavalry, officers and other ranks and files reviewed and remastered to give them more seasoned soldier look. Their shields are now more stained, scarred and dirtier

Here are the sample shots from varied units,

Screens,

It was background process but i thought after the Diego' feedback finishing this would be better for today not tomorrow

Now, they carry the mark of many battles

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Little Legionaire View Post
    Battlescar Update,

All Legion shields including cavalry, officers and other ranks and files reviewed and remastered to give them more seasoned soldier look. Their shields are now more stained, scarred and dirtier

Here are the sample shots from varied units,

Screens,

It was background process but i thought after the Diego' feedback finishing this would be better for today not tomorrow

Now, they carry the mark of many battles

Cheers,
    Beautiful!

Default Re: [Submod]True Legions for True Romans / Marian Legions and Battlescar Update

Oh god, now they are truly perfect. I don't think I did , but if at any point while reading my feedback you feel upset then I apologize and I just want you to know I meant no disrespect . I fully understand how long it takes to accomplish such mod and was only hoping my suggestion would be in your to-do list somewhere down the looonnggg line .

Edit: Oh and my feeling was never hurt haha, couldn't be happier that we actually have proper Roman Shields. Tbh the vanilla shields were insanely immersion breaking to me.
    Last edited by diego007; February 06, 2017 at 09:03 AM.

Default Re: [Submod]True Legions for True Romans / Marian Legions and Battlescar Update

Quote Originally Posted by diego007 View Post
    Oh god, now they are truly perfect. I don't think I did , but if at any point while reading my feedback you feel upset then I apologize and I just want you to know I meant no disrespect . I fully understand how long it takes to accomplish such mod and was only hoping my suggestion would be in your to-do list somewhere down the looonnggg line .
    No, ofc not my friend! No offence taken and in fact i should apologize you if i'm sounded offended,

What i was thinking releasing the whole package first and then making a final review to give them a better look as they were used by seasoned soldiers. But as i said it was a vast project to handle and i had to schedule the workload.

Besides, your suggestion was in my top priority list because model and texture quality matters at most when they're properly blended into their natural habitat.

Today i'll make a second review and check and test the changes more extensively until i'm and ofc you the fellow TW players satisfied!

I truly appreciate your feedback Diego, and please feel free yourselves to share your thoughts with me dear friends.

This is all about making the mod better for all.

Cheers all and enjoy the game

Regards,
    Last edited by Little Legionaire; February 06, 2017 at 09:11 AM.

Screens from a Romans vs Lucanians battle;

The two lines charge after exchanging pila volleys

Battle!

The Lucanians begin to rout and are caught between 2 armies

Last edited by Falco; February 06, 2017 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    Screens from a Romans vs Lucanians battle;

The two lines charge after exchanging pila volleys

Battle!

The Lucanians begin to rout and are caught between 2 armies

Great shots mate!

And i officialy announce that our next is phase is gonna be Auxilia Cohorts,

I'll rework sword units of Auxilia Cohorts such as Cohors Batavii and etc. with the Solitudo' new Augustan Scutums,

Something like this,

Imagine this soldier model with rounded Augustan Scutums,

So, stay tuned dear friends,

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Auxilia with Legionarii shields?
    Were there select units who used them?

I would have imagined that especially the Batavians, with their ability to swim across rivers in full equipment, would have the usual Auxilia shields.
    I´d actually say it´s doubtful they even wore chainmail if this was possible, maybe they had leather armour as D´Amato (2009) asserts was worn in the roman army.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Auxilia with Legionarii shields?
    Don't get crazy! he said "Imagine this soldier model with rounded Augustan Scutums," so no legionarii shield xD

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Don't get crazy! he said "Imagine this soldier model with rounded Augustan Scutums," so no legionarii shield xD
    Thanks bro! You are a true lifesaver! In many cases apart from this subject

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    I'm assuming he means color scheme? Not the actual square shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    I'm assuming he means color scheme? Not the actual square shield?
    No, let me clarify the situation

I'm gonna change auxilia units with swords. You know there are two variants one with the spears another with swords. Anyway, i'll give Augustan scutums to sword auxilias. And leave spear auxilias as they were.

And we'll have a closer look to the picture i posted above.

I think such an update will give those units more authentic look.

alex_shields's Avatar Miles

No, let me clarify the situation

I'm gonna change auxilia units with swords. You know there are two variants one with the spears another with swords. Anyway, i'll give Augustan scutums to sword auxilias. And leave spear auxilias as they were.

And we'll have a closer look to the picture i posted above.

I think such an update will give those units more authentic look.
    Hello,

It's been some time since I've posted to these forums, but I'm VERY excited about this mod. Marian Legionaries were something I've been waiting for since September 3rd, 2013 when the game was first released and this mod is by far the best and most accurate place to find them. Thank You Little Legionaire! Your attention to detail is stunning! +rep

As for the auxilia with legionary scuta, if Little Legionaire actually wants to use the curved Augustan shield, he may actually be more right than we give him credit for. Remember, a Augustan shield was a lighter-weight version of the oval shield; retaining the curved sides but with the top and bottom cut off. It's considered an evolutionary step between the curved oval, Republican/Marian legionary shield, and the later Rectangular Scutum of the empire's legionaries seen in the illustration above - which depicts a Batavian auxiliary.

What's interesting is that, while period engravings like Trajan's column, reenactment groups, and 'pop culture' show auxilia only with flat-oval shields, archaeological digs portray a different reality (and are the basis of the picture of the Batavian Auxiliary shown above). Findings of segmented "legionary" armor and curved shield bosses from "legionary" shields at auxilia barracks a seem to suggest that perhaps the auxilia were authorized to wear the gear typically associated with the citizen-legionaries. This just doesn't fit the mind's eye of the uniformed and organized legions that we imagine - and so people tend to dismiss the reality. Afterall, it makes sense that the auxilia would carry flat shields associated with barbarians since 1) they were barbarians, and 2) they brought to the army their specific skills and ethnic-weapons.
    And yet, they were equipped with armor, helmets and shields by the Roman empire.

Keep up the great work Little Legionaire.
    Last edited by alex_shields; February 07, 2017 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_shields View Post
    Hello,

It's been some time since I've posted to these forums, but I'm VERY excited about this mod. Marian Legionaries were something I've been waiting for since September 3rd, 2013 when the game was first released and this mod is by far the best and most accurate place to find them. Thank You Little Legionaire! Your attention to detail is stunning! +rep
    Very kind of you my friend, details are essential to make a difference and me and Solitudo hold our work until we're truly satisfied but in the end you find yourself keep improving the work even if it's been released. It's kind of a you know table top soldier. You paint, you put a lot of details like your favorite toy of your childhood.

And i can't give an exact time but one of my modder friend works on Republican Montefortino. Two variants, one with eye brow decoration at front and the other plain and goes to regular Marians such as this:

Quote Originally Posted by alex_shields View Post
    As for the auxilia with legionary scuta, if Little Legionaire actually wants to use the curved Augustan shield, he may actually be more right than we give him credit for. Remember, a Augustan shield was a lighter-weight version of the oval shield; retaining the curved sides but with the top and bottom cut off. It's considered an evolutionary step between the curved oval, Republican/Marian legionary shield, and the later Rectangular Scutum of the empire's legionaries seen in the illustration above - which depicts a Batavian auxiliary.

What's interesting is that, while period engravings like Trajan's column, reenactment groups, and 'pop culture' show auxilia only with flat-oval shields, archaeological digs portray a different reality (and are the basis of the picture of the Batavian Auxiliary shown above). Findings of segmented "legionary" armor and curved shield bosses from "legionary" shields at auxilia barracks a seem to suggest that perhaps the auxilia were authorized to wear the gear typically associated with the citizen-legionaries. This just doesn't fit the mind's eye of the uniformed and organized legions that we imagine - and so people tend to dismiss the reality. Afterall, it makes sense that the auxilia would carry flat shields associated with barbarians since 1) they were barbarians, and 2) they brought to the army their specific skills and ethnic-weapons.
    And yet, they were equipped with armor, helmets and shields by the Roman empire.

Keep up the great work Little Legionaire.
    Exactly my thoughts,

It is normal and even logical to think that Romans armed and equipped their Auxiliary forces with proper state given gear. That's why i considered to give Auxilia sword infantry to give Augustan Scutums. And we're modding "Rome" TW and to give a better and accurate look for the units there are so many resources to consider, take notes and sometimes you gotta put some artistic freedom to fill the gaps while drawing a strict line between realism and fantasy. I mean giving Corinthian helmets to Early Romans are pure fantasy but giving Augustan Scutums to Roman Auxiliary Cohors is not.

And again, thank you for your kind words and enjoy the mod my friend,

Stay tuned for the new content
    Last edited by Little Legionaire; February 07, 2017 at 07:36 AM.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Just a suggestion, if you ever move to imperial units, maybe you could fix the almost flat non-historical shields? In real life the imperial scuta were semi-cylindrical, not flat like in the game. Maybe you don't have to fix that though, since I believe that the DeI team are planning on fixing it.

Very kind of you my friend, details are essential to make a difference and me and Solitudo hold our work until we're truly satisfied but in the end you find yourself keep improving the work even if it's been released. It's kind of a you know table top soldier. You paint, you put a lot of details like your favorite toy of your childhood.

And i can't give an exact time but one of my modder friend works on Republican Montefortino. Two variants, one with eye brow decoration at front and the other plain and goes to regular Marians such as this:

Exactly my thoughts,

It is normal and even logical to think that Romans armed and equipped their Auxiliary forces with proper state given gear. That's why i considered to give Auxilia sword infantry to give Augustan Scutums. And we're modding "Rome" TW and to give a better and accurate look for the units there are so many resources to consider, take notes and sometimes you gotta put some artistic freedom to fill the gaps while drawing a strict line between realism and fantasy. I mean giving Corinthian helmets to Early Romans are pure fantasy but giving Augustan Scutums to Roman Auxiliary Cohors is not.

And again, thank you for your kind words and enjoy the mod my friend,

Stay tuned for the new content
    Woooooooooooow new helmets too? Another thing for me to look forward to.

Also concerning what alex_shields said about the Marian shields being amazing. I can't thank LL and Solitudo enough for making these.
    Last edited by Falco; February 07, 2017 at 09:28 AM.

Great shots mate!

And i officialy announce that our next is phase is gonna be Auxilia Cohorts,

I'll rework sword units of Auxilia Cohorts such as Cohors Batavii and etc. with the Solitudo' new Augustan Scutums,

Something like this,

Imagine this soldier model with rounded Augustan Scutums,

So, stay tuned dear friends,
    I am eagerly looking forward to seeing your overhaul of the auxilia troops my friend!

As too the shield discussion that has popped up, perhaps going for a compromise and mixing the oval shields and the augustan shields would be a good choice. That doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility to me that such a thing would have happened, and it would show a little less uniformity with the auxilia troops as compared to the legions.