Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: [DOWNLOAD] Settlement and Battlemap BETA Maps Released

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Settlement and Battlemap Preview - Update

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe View Post
    ****** epic.

Although I can't see the Coliseum, is that for another version?

Would love to see the Imperial/Small version of Rome, so is this the Medium one?

So far, this looks like a much better alternative. I'm liking this and keep making more! Wouldn't mind wanting to see a few more screenies of Rome as well.
    Colluseum was built much later on, in the Imperial period. In fact mass gladiator fights and such wouldn't feature at all until at least 50 years later. If you think about how much territory Rome actually controls in 202 you'll notice they don't have many foreign countries to collect slaves for the fights from.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Colluseum was built much later on, in the Imperial period. In fact mass gladiator fights and such wouldn't feature at all until at least 50 years later. If you think about how much territory Rome actually controls in 202 you'll notice they don't have many foreign countries to collect slaves for the fights from.
    Damn it. I will wait until Imperial Rome arrives.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

you wont have to wait that long - once all generics are in, Rome is going to be the first one I flush out to its max capacity, in creating the other versions. This is a "Marian" era version and fits the general timeframe of our mod at the moment. already have historical plans laid out for the other two versions.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

Alright then. Not much I can say but keep doing this amazing work. I have a lot of imperial Rome pics anyway on Doomons thread so use them to the best of your ability.

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    Yes for Rome it will be this single tier for now - this one I would call medium tier - I would like to build a slightly smaller one, and an imperial rome. But yes one version or so for now for first release and then ill be pumping out new cities as we go.
    Not a problem Thanks for response.

I must admit; my eyes initially searched for the Colosseum for familiarity but as was mentioned above; it was built later. A quick look at WIKI indicates 72AD for commencement of construction by emperor Vespasian and completed during the reign of Titus in 80AD. I actually thought it was built much much later. Either way a higher tier with Colosseum at a later point would fit in for the Imperial period as Petellius mentioned. Circus Maximus was much older though and I think I can see it there in your first image

Last edited by Rejenorst; February 18, 2017 at 07:38 PM.

Circus Maximus is definitely there

There the Roman model for the Senate for RII that was depicted in the trailers. Would love to see it somewhere in a future update.

I understand the barriers CA has errected and how much of a ball-ache it is to mod, but will it be possible to have custom iberian architecture? I don't want their settlements to look generic barbarian. Subtle differences would be nice between celtic, germanic and iberian the further south you go. Celtic using round buildings, germans using longer conventional buildings, gaulish ones having menhirs everywhere, iberians having architecture using less wood, more stone, baked mud, brick, thatch and even tiles, with sturdier looking walls as opposed to just wood. the struggle in iberia between rome and carthage is a major part of the early game.

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Eventually we'll get to that but the inital step is to just remove and replace the attila maps. Even generic barbarian is better than late roman theme.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Really any maps that people make we'll be happy to accept. If you want to see a certain style of architecture in a map, create the map and send it to us! You'll get a place on the credits and you'll get your map in the mod.

We're ravished hungry for good content. There's really no limit to the maps you guys send in that we can use; there's hundreds of settlements on Attila's map, each of which can have multiple size levels (small, medium, large etc) and each of which can have another unique map for each culture to show when occupied by an invading faction.

That's a combinatorial explosion of thousands of maps. We're not running out of space and opportunities for new unique maps anytime soon, so please send some in .
    Last edited by Causeless; February 22, 2017 at 04:38 AM.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Im partial to Iberians having their own culture as well. My goal is to have a UI specific to them for our second release. However, due to the focus to have everything else ready for initial release, this will have to be down the road. However you can always assist in speeding up the process, by providing research material in this thread or contacts to help out with maps.

Thanks and good idea!

I believe many of the afircan/egyptian buildings can be retextured and used for iberian settlements, and carved into the side of mountainous map regions, maintaining a similar structure to generic barbarian settlements. They'd likely not have trees or perhaps a few palms in their settlements too. I feel like a lot of barbarian buildings (granary etc) could also fit in with a retex. As for the walls, perhaps attila roman walls with a retex would work. Also with more rugged and varied terrain and natural defenses to exploit. I've been trying to use Ted for a while but it keeps crashing on me. It'd be nice to have varied and interesting maps both aesthetically and gameplay wise for major settlements, similar to the mods for shogun 2 i've played, and although I have lots of ideas and inspiration the ted crashing and graphical glitches is killing my creative inertia.
    Last edited by JPrice94; February 23, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPrice94 View Post
    I believe many of the afircan/egyptian buildings can be retextured and used for iberian settlements, and carved into the side of mountainous map regions, maintaining a similar structure to generic barbarian settlements. They'd likely not have trees or perhaps a few palms in their settlements too. I feel like a lot of barbarian buildings (granary etc) could also fit in with a retex. As for the walls, perhaps attila roman walls with a retex would work. Also with more rugged and varied terrain and natural defenses to exploit. I've been trying to use Ted for a while but it keeps crashing on me. It'd be nice to have varied and interesting maps both aesthetically and gameplay wise for major settlements, similar to the mods for shogun 2 i've played, and although I have lots of ideas and inspiration the ted crashing and graphical glitches is killing my creative inertia.
    We can also make use of Attila building models that we aren't using, retexture them as Iberian. So options are there. Progress is coming along. 6 cities have been created, and would like to have another 6 or so before it could ready for a least initial release. I am looking forward to getting into customized major settlements: Plans I'm thinking off the top of my head at the moment would be Carthago Nova, Rhodes, Antioch, palymra, alesia, ankyra. I will hold off on customized Iberian until the time comes those textures can be created.

I also think the escalation feature should be exploited, it would be trivial to add siege works to escalation maps, the more turns a settlement is besieged, the more the city looks like it's besieged on the battlemap, and the easier it will be to take in a battle. Siegeworks would be errected, including palisade walls, mantles, trenches and whatnot to counter sallies and protect your men from missiles. I also think that some settlements should be almost completely unassailable until escalation has reached a certain point. Take for example the siege of the jewish fortress of massada when the romans pretty much filled in a canyon with debris in order to make a path to the fortress. Players would then be forced to besiege particularly stubborn fortresses for many turns. Don't know if its possible to make it impossible to auto-resolve without dying badly.

For inspiration look at the siege of constantinople (large) in no escalation, 1 and 2 escalation.

Well in the custom maps we're adding lots of stuff for escalations like dead bodies and failed siege attempt evidence, all that stuff.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Quote Originally Posted by Willhelm123 View Post
    Well in the custom maps we're adding lots of stuff for escalations like dead bodies and failed siege attempt evidence, all that stuff.
    Most of that isn't implemented and the majority of custom maps likely will not have that decoration at release.

Hopefully a couple of maps will release with some custom escalation. It may be added to more maps post-release.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Zomg you guys got psychic spies stealing my ideas? I'd also suggest adding burnt siege rams and siege towers as evidence of failed sieges. It'd imagine its possible to get the rigidmodels into Terry.

haha you sound just like Petellius.
    AE Dev, mainly units

haha you sound just like Petellius.
    Yup, I'm way ahead of you. Already making mock up designs for mines, barricade walls, failed gate assaults ect.

For example for full escalation I'm planning on having a trail of burning bodies following behind a burning ram. On the other side of the gate will be a barricade and a pile of bodies around it.

I'd really like to see this escalation feature really show why your army takes attrition while besieging on the campaign.

And of course like you guys said some, if not most, should be unassailable without some escalation.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

wow! it's really excite to see those features!

it will be on first release??