Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [DOWNLOAD] Settlement and Battlemap BETA Maps Released

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Settlement and Battlemap Preview - Update

Also to comment on above - I never appreciated the detail in Rome 2's settlement maps until recently. wow the detail how much more real to the time period it feels.
    Last edited by UMCenturion; December 30, 2016 at 08:25 AM.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    Also to comment on above - I never appreaciated the detail in Rome 2's settlement maps until recently. wow the detail how much more real to the time period it feels.
    The buildings and settlements in general is one of the few things I always thought CA did very well with Rome 2 and its good to see them back in a mechanically better game!
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Icon6 Re: [PREVIEW] Settlement and Battlemap Preview - Update

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    Haha I love the enthusiasm - Thank you sir. Sometimes I feel like I want to be just a fan, I get that excited too. (just don't show it). Believe me, the team is working hard, and I cannot wait to take a break from modding and play! everyone's support continues to be the driving factor. Thank you all.
    Yeah
    I probably showed a bit too much, but I was excited when I saw this and I didn't think it would happen. I am very well aware that you guys making it so want to play it. But good work takes thousands of free labour when you have RL stuff in your life 24/7. So modders of the total war series have always achieved the impossible, just like you, ABH, Petellius, Casueless, Sheridan, Hardballer, Litharion and others did. Not forgetting the WWI mod makers, the NTW III mod makers, Darthmod, Unaime 5 for his Shogun 2 korea mod, Persian modders, Aztec, and NM for his NM RII mod. And not forgetting Doomon 15 as well, and Sir Pee A lot, and others. You all are legends to total war. Never forget that.

Also a youtube preview of this would be great!

Anyway, enough with that, just keep posting more screenies in your spare time and keep up the good work , I'd love to see what the Eastern cities look like and other city settlements as well.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; December 30, 2016 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient World View Post
    Also a youtube preview of this would be great!
    Keep a secret - something coming very shortly.

Awesome! Waiting to see it soon as well, gl!

Thanx for the scoop UMCenturion. Gameplay would be great!!

Christ, those look gorgeous. Out of interest, are all settlements in Ancient Empires going to have walls? I know you can get walls on minor settlements in Attila if you max upgrade tem so it's "doable," and since we only see walled settlements there was just curious if the team had opted to have all settlements walled with provincial capitals simply being bigger and badder versions of their smaller-walled settlements. This is especially something I'd be interested in since Attila actually has a working siege AI, as opposed to Rome 2 *shudders*

In any case, looks absolutely terrific, the work that must go into these is unfathomable. Really can't wait to see Antiquity brought to life through Attila!

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima View Post
    Christ, those look gorgeous. Out of interest, are all settlements in Ancient Empires going to have walls? I know you can get walls on minor settlements in Attila if you max upgrade tem so it's "doable," and since we only see walled settlements there was just curious if the team had opted to have all settlements walled with provincial capitals simply being bigger and badder versions of their smaller-walled settlements. This is especially something I'd be interested in since Attila actually has a working siege AI, as opposed to Rome 2 *shudders*

In any case, looks absolutely terrific, the work that must go into these is unfathomable. Really can't wait to see Antiquity brought to life through Attila!
    Perfectly possible to do, we'd need time to look through it and weed out the bugged settlements that wouldnt work and crash the game though.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

That'd be amazing. I think one of the most immersion-breaking things in RTW is the lack of walls on historically walled settlements.

How the hell did CA think "Magna Graecia? Brundisium should be the capital!"?!?!?!

Here is a little fun addition to the battlefields - replaced Attila variant for the civilians - all cultures will have representative citizens.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

those famers are hot I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Perfectly possible to do, we'd need time to look through it and weed out the bugged settlements that wouldnt work and crash the game though.

I'll take that as a no to my original question then Just thought I'd ask having seen the pics (although it of course makes sense to showcase the walled settlements as the big appeal). Personally I've gotten to the point where wall-less battles doesn't irk me any more and I'm fine with them, I was just curious as to whether it was something the team had already begun implementing. I imagine someone may end up making a submod for it further down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassandros View Post
    That'd be amazing. I think one of the most immersion-breaking things in RTW is the lack of walls on historically walled settlements.

How the hell did CA think "Magna Graecia? Brundisium should be the capital!"?!?!?!
    With Rome 2 wall-less settlements were a necessity - fighting defensive siege battles proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I truly believe that the only/major reason they had minor settlements not have walls was because they knew just how bad the AI was when it came to attacking the player behind walls. Granted, it does also add some variety to battles/shows the importance of provincial capitals, but I think the main reason was related to the AI.

With Attila that's not nearly as big a problem as it once was, since the AI is leaps and bounds ahead of R2 in Attila. Still, I quite enjoy the wall-less battles since they do add some variety and, with the inclusion of barricades and most (Roman) settlements having something of a fortified center, it doesn't just feel like a clash in the streets anymore.

As for Brundisium, I'd put that down to the game being very Roman-orientated...otherwise you're absolutely right, that whole thing was a mess. That's what was great about the Imperator Augustus campaign/mods that used that map on the grand campaign; it made things make sense!

More!

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Great work gentlemen!

Its a +1 from me for walled settlements though. Either as seperate building chain or from level 2 settlements and up. Improving quality and type would be awsome too.

I'm so pleased you've managed to do this, well done! Is it possible that you could give us a preview of the barbarian and eastern settlements as well, that would be great!

On a separate note, will the next update to AE be the campaign, or will it be a smaller update with the new building models and any other features you may added since the original release?

For now we're adding in naval battles and bug fixes. We'll need to have a testing phase before campaign release

this looks amazing, great work guys

Quote Originally Posted by klunny10 View Post
    Great work gentlemen!

Its a +1 from me for walled settlements though. Either as seperate building chain or from level 2 settlements and up. Improving quality and type would be awsome too.
    we are working on the variety now. Hopefully well have some great breakthroughs this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    For now we're adding in naval battles and bug fixes. We'll need to have a testing phase before campaign release
    Great, I'm glad to hear that naval battles will be fixed. Hopefully you can add in the remaining missing unit icons as well,such as pontic pikemen. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by wrath of germania View Post
    Great, I'm glad to hear that naval battles will be fixed. Hopefully you can add in the remaining missing unit icons as well,such as pontic pikemen. Keep it up!
    If not in this fix we'll go over everything before release.