Page 13 of 188 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863113 ... LastLast

Thread: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

Seriously stretched thin? According to who? And no one is advocating a war but that doesn't rule out safe zones.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Seriously stretched thin? According to who? And no one is advocating a war but that doesn't rule out safe zones.
    They would never get permission from Russian and/or China. And they would need the backing of the UN security council to realistically do it. Even if they tried to impose one anyway, I don't think they would dare to shoot down Russian planes, and they wouldn't want to be made to look weak if Putin decided to play chicken.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    They would never get permission from Russian and/or China. And they would need the backing of the UN security council to realistically do it. Even if they tried to impose one anyway, I don't think they would dare to shoot down Russian planes, and they wouldn't want to be made to look weak if Putin decided to play chicken.
    Well I think the whole point is that Trump isn't going to ask anyone for permission.

And I don't think the US would shoot down Russian planes either. You don't need to. Just Syrian ones assuming he would be willing to do it.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Kurdistan is already a safe zone.

The only two that I could have thought of would have been Aleppo, which would have been very contentious, and one reason Assad and his friends went all out to recover it before the next Administration took over, regardless who was sitting in the Oval Office, and one over refugee zones along borders, which I believe the Turks were advocating for.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Well I think the whole point is that Trump isn't going to ask anyone for permission.

And I don't think the US would shoot down Russian planes either. You don't need to. Just Syrian ones assuming he would be willing to do it.
    And what stops Syria from just asking the Russians to bomb the targets they can't?
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    And what stops Syria from just asking the Russians to bomb the targets they can't?
    As it is right now the Syrian and Russian forces are enough to cover the country and deal with any problems. When you take one away you limit their ability to respond to threats. Russia doesn't have enough planes to cover all of Syria by itself.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

As it is right now the Syrian and Russian forces are enough to cover the country and deal with any problems. When you take one away you limit their ability to respond to threats. Russia doesn't have enough planes to cover all of Syria by itself.
    They wouldn't need to, as I understand it safe zones wouldn't be the entirety of Syria, only small enclaves, it also wouldn't stop Russia simply sending more planes.

My Political Profile.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

It seems that there is now an irreparable split in the Idlib province between the two largest rebel groups.

Al-Nusra has been attacking most of the other opposition forces, driving them into the ranks of Ahrar Al-Sham who appear to have equal or greater strength than Al-Nusra.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...133928474.html

What this means in effect is that most, if not all, of the smaller more 'moderate' rebel groups have (or soon will be) subsumed or destroyed by either Al-Nusra or Ahrar al-Sham. Both of whom have worked together in the past, have strong links (past and present) to Al-Quada, follow salafist ideology and want a Sharia law Islamic state.

Ahrar al-Sham appear does not seem to be as bad as Al-Nusra or ISIS in terms of their goals and ideology, but they are still a far cry from what the west would class as 'moderate' or democratic opposition.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

It seems that there is now an irreparable split in the Idlib province between the two largest rebel groups.
    The "scenario" and the "theater" is over, others have resolved this conflict for the anglo-american world. And i must say, while i really have no heart for putin Russia and her rusty dangerous mess, Olga grows on me faster than Amber.

Satan has spoken lol.
    Last edited by Iskar; January 27, 2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: disruptive line removed

Civitate

The SDF are apparently being armed with armored transports and troop carriers from the US. Trump is increasing support for the Kurds.
    Last edited by Vanoi; January 31, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

The SDF are apparently being armed with armored transports and troop carriers from the US. Trump isincreasing support for the Kurds.
    He made it clear he wants to knock out ISIS. I think the US has been preparing for the big push on the city for a while now.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

This doesn't seem to be making the mainstream news but it's pretty important;

The rebel enclave in the Wadi Bari area has surrendered and is now in government hands. The area is partially responsible for water supplies to Damascus and it's capture will improve the overall security situation in the city.

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13951111000372

The majority of the rebels have either accepted amnesty deals or have taken the bus to Idlib.

I can't remember where exactly I saw it, but the rebels in the area apparently numbered around two thousand, with opposing government forces in the area being up to twice as large. This will allow for most of the government troops in the area to be redeployed to other rebel enclaves.

This seems to be proof that the regimes strategy is working. They put a lot of pressure on the smaller enclaves to the point that they accept terms and surrender. The troops freed up then move on to the next enclave and so on and so forth until most if not all of the isolated rebel strongholds have surrendered. If the tactic keeps up eventually the majority of the rebel forces will be squished into one big blob in Idlib.

Civitate

Almasdar news is claiming a source within Syria says the Syrian Army advancing toward Al-Bab would be willing to attack the rebels fighting there and the Turkish Army.

Don't think Syrians should attempt that. Wouldn't end very well.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Almasdar news is claiming a source within Syria says the Syrian Army advancing toward Al-Bab would be willing to attack the rebels fighting there and the Turkish Army.

Don't think Syrians should attempt that. Wouldn't end very well.
    Judging by the performance of the Turkish in Al-Bab i don't think we need to be afraid of them at all.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Della Rovere View Post
    Judging by the performance of the Turkish in Al-Bab i don't think we need to be afraid of them at all.
    The SAA haven't faired much better against the IS. Lost Palmyra twice now. SAA has to contend with a force that's just as well-rounded as they are.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Anyone can give me an answer as to why we don't see a proliferation of night vision equipment in this conflict, as we have seen with ATGM's? I have no clue whatever as to what such equipment might cost or on its availability. But I haven't really seen such NV gear being used , except in rare cases , and that was either SAA or Hezbollah.

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

The SAA haven't faired much better against the IS. Lost Palmyra twice now. SAA has to contend with a force that's just as well-rounded as they are.
    That's clearly true. The SAA although having crushed the rebels in Aleppo can't so easily advance on ISIS. The crazies have proven fairly resilient.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte View Post
    Anyone can give me an answer as to why we don't see a proliferation of night vision equipment in this conflict, as we have seen with ATGM's? I have no clue whatever as to what such equipment might cost or on its availability. But I haven't really seen such NV gear being used , except in rare cases , and that was either SAA or Hezbollah.
    That's a really good question actually.

Should be a surplus pouring out of the defunct Warsaw Pact or Yugoslavia.

Night vision not anti-tank.

Maybe the Syrian insurrectionists should start a Kickstarter.

The Soviets tried using dogs, but you could attach a large enough charge to an RC ATV and have it drive under the tank.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Della Rovere View Post
    It is too early to fight against Euphrates Shield when there are pockets left in Damascus area and constant threat from IS in Homs. Right now SAA is in trouble as they are about to lose an airbase to IS