Thread: problem with steam

Civis

Default problem with steam

Hello

my old cd of rome total war has broken and so i had to buy the steam version of rome total war ( gold edition)

now i wanted to install roma surrectum again , but everything goes fine until i start a campaign and there i get a crash error

can anyone help me please ?

Default Re: problem with steam

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Hello

my old cd of rome total war has broken and so i had to buy the steam version of rome total war ( gold edition)

now i wanted to install roma surrectum again , but everything goes fine until i start a campaign and there i get a crash error

can anyone help me please ?
    1. Move away installation folder to documents
    2.Rename the folder
    3.Install RS 2.5 in folder
    4.Install RS 3.0 in folder
    5.Install RS.3.1 in folder (overwrite files)
    6.Done!

Presetup!
    .Dont use antialiasing set AA_OFF
    .Set buildings and settings to high otherwise it will crash
    .Set the launcher to relative .exe u are using, for example Alex.exe, well then use steam Alx.exe

The best part with RS.3.1 that is you doesnt even have to login to Steam, which itself is a HUGE bonus,
    endless gratitudes for dvk for fixing this neat trick.

Did I do something wrong cause this didn't work for me

- I installed Rome Gold (from steam)
    - I copied Rome total war gold folder to F:/Games
    - installed RS 2.5 etc as per above
    - followed presetup

If i try to start a game, screen turns black (drums rolling) ... then *phew* back to desktop.

Also yes, Windows 10 user
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    Did I do something wrong cause this didn't work for me

- I installed Rome Gold (from steam)
    - I copied Rome total war gold folder to F:/Games
    - installed RS 2.5 etc as per above
    - followed presetup

If i try to start a game, screen turns black (drums rolling) ... then *phew* back to desktop.

Also yes, Windows 10 user
    I perhaps (or many) that you have a lesser age than normal, but hey thats okay!

1.Move away the installation to Documents
    2.Install it to Documents folder
    3.Start with Steam.exe in launcher
    4.Still problem?
    -Set antialiasing off in settings.txt (launcher)AA_OFF (or it will crash)
    set settings to high (not ultra or it will crash)

There is some problem in your installation-path, and launcher-settings. (see above)...

Quote Originally Posted by romavictoria View Post
    I perhaps (or many) that you have a lesser age than normal, but hey thats okay!

1.Move away the installation to Documents
    2.Install it to Documents folder
    3.Start with Steam.exe in launcher
    4.Still problem?
    -Set antialiasing off in settings.txt (launcher)AA_OFF (or it will crash)
    set settings to high (not ultra or it will crash)

There is some problem in your installation-path, and launcher-settings. (see above)...
    Offcourse it works with Steam and Windows 10, heres how you do it!. (all versions, including steam, anthology,gold, and updated 1.5 versions!)

1.1 Preinstallation routines (move your Rome/Gold/Anthology) to documents folder and rename it! (to disable the secure-rom check)
    1.Grab all the contents of your Alexander-folder (not the folder, just the content!!!!!!).Skip this part if you have Rome Gold version, (non-steam)
    2.Release it into the Rome Gold-folder (overwrite everything, click ok it will work!).
    3.Install RS 2.5
    3.Install RS 3.0
    4.Install RS 3.1

When installation is ok, move the installation, to C:/Documents folder that are located in your computer,
    rename the folder, to whatever you want i have renamed just clear and shortly Roma.
    Then the fun begins, set the settings to your taste, deactivate antialiasing, and also set the graphic according to your
    desktop setting.
    HAVE FUN AND DONT FORGET TO INVADE CARTHAGO-NOVA WITH SCIPIO=THE YOUNGER! AT 208 BC (544-545 AUC)

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro
    In the nether regions of the Puritan hinterlands

Quote Originally Posted by romavictoria View Post
    Offcourse it works with Steam and Windows 10, heres how you do it!. (all versions, including steam, anthology,gold, and updated 1.5 versions!)

1.1 Preinstallation routines (move your Rome/Gold/Anthology) to documents folder and rename it! (to disable the secure-rom check)
    1.Grab all the contents of your Alexander-folder (not the folder, just the content!!!!!!).Skip this part if you have Rome Gold version, (non-steam)
    2.Release it into the Rome Gold-folder (overwrite everything, click ok it will work!).
    3.Install RS 2.5
    3.Install RS 3.0
    4.Install RS 3.1

When installation is ok, move the installation, to C:/Documents folder that are located in your computer,
    rename the folder, to whatever you want i have renamed just clear and shortly Roma.
    Then the fun begins, set the settings to your taste, deactivate antialiasing, and also set the graphic according to your
    desktop setting.
    HAVE FUN AND DONT FORGET TO INVADE CARTHAGO-NOVA WITH SCIPIO=THE YOUNGER! AT 208 BC (544-545 AUC)
    Well now, THAT is a bit different than what the other directions seem to be saying and a bit non-intutive. Let me clarify what I've got from my "Steam version" of the game (actually it was a Gamersgate version, but I "updated" those products to be Steam serial keys and now the GG versions won't download . . .)

I have TWO Rome Total War directories:
    C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold
    and
    C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Alexander

The former contains two .exe images: RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-BI.exe
    The latter contains only RomeTW-ALX.exe

I had assumed there was no interdependency b/w those two directories, but maybe I was wrong?

What you seem to be directing the user to do is:

1. Create a new directory somewhere free from User Account Control (UAC) restrictions that exist for the X(86) directories. For example I created:
    C:\Games\Roma Surrectum

2. Copy the contents of C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold and paste copies of those contents into: C:\Games\Roma Surrectum

3. Copy the contents of C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Alexander and paste those copies into C:\Games\Roma Surrectum (Overwriting if it prompts)

4. Then install Roma Surrectum 2.5 (at which point the modded game should work and I always like to try at the intermediary step first)

5. Finally install RS 3.0 and the 3.1 patch

Am I understanding you correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
    Well now, THAT is a bit different than what the other directions seem to be saying and a bit non-intutive. Let me clarify what I've got from my "Steam version" of the game (actually it was a Gamersgate version, but I "updated" those products to be Steam serial keys and now the GG versions won't download . . .)

I have TWO Rome Total War directories:
    C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold
    and
    C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Alexander

The former contains two .exe images: RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-BI.exe
    The latter contains only RomeTW-ALX.exe

I had assumed there was no interdependency b/w those two directories, but maybe I was wrong?

What you seem to be directing the user to do is:

1. Create a new directory somewhere free from User Account Control (UAC) restrictions that exist for the X(86) directories. For example I created:
    C:\Games\Roma Surrectum

2. Copy the contents of C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold and paste copies of those contents into: C:\Games\Roma Surrectum

3. Copy the contents of C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Alexander and paste those copies into C:\Games\Roma Surrectum (Overwriting if it prompts)

4. Then install Roma Surrectum 2.5 (at which point the modded game should work and I always like to try at the intermediary step first)

5. Finally install RS 3.0 and the 3.1 patch

Am I understanding you correctly?
    -Just remove the text "When installation is ok, move the installation, to C:/Documents folder that are located in your computer,
    rename the folder, to whatever you want i have renamed just clear and shortly Roma."

Then it will work garantieed, no more hassle with STEAM, you could use STEAM if you want, but my experience
    it that is slows down your FPS slightly.

But otherwise its 2 of the same installation, just remove the upper-part, insert 2 rows above.
    The trick is to install it in C:/Documents, thats it actually.

Excellent mod by the way, the best game/mod combo ever...

Actually its very simple! first you create a folder in C:/insert name here...

1.Copy the content of Rome Alexander
    2.Drop the content (see above) inte Rome Gold
    3.Install RS 2.5+RS.3.0+RS.3.1 into Rome Gold Folder C:/insert name here...
    4.Done...