Thread: Tips for TATW and mods

Default Tips for TATW and mods

Moved from the main TATW forum.

Lets compile a list of helpful tips for new and old players. M2TW, TATW, and the accompanying mods are surprisingly deep in hidden or not obvious info....I'll start:

TIP: Getting Generals the Kind Ruler Trait, this trait is a -1 squalor trait

Any -1 or -2 squalor trait is extremely important in settlement building as they are a bonus .5% or 1.0% population growth. TATW adds a squalor (population growth) penalty for each 1500 people in a settlement. If you build strictly military buildings in a large town of 6000, then you will have a growth penalty of -2% at lowest taxes. Here is how you get a -1 squalor trait on your generals.

1. Make sure your general is in a settlement
    2. Make sure your treasury is 0 or - at end turn.
    3. Make sure the taxes of your settlement are on low.
    4. End Turn
    5. There is a 10% chance that your general will get the first trait in the Kind ruler trait line, Reasonable Ruler . Reasonable Ruler gives you a respect bonus of +1
    6. This 10% chance will need to pop 3 times on a general for them to get the Kind Ruler Trait. But you will get a +2 respect and a -1 squalor, and both lead to increases in population growth.
    7. Once you have Kind Ruler trait, you can get the Benevolent Ruler Trait using the same method, this adds -2 squalor and +3 to respect for your general. That is at least a 1.0% growth bonus for a settlement with a population > 3000.

PS: This may seem like a lot of micro but EACH turn I spend my treasury down to something like 100-150 coins, then I gift the rest to an ally or a neighbor who is neutral. This helps my relations and reputation while making sure all my settlement generals have a chance at these traits. At turn 45, I have 6 generals with Kind Ruler, and 3 with Benevolent Ruler playing as gondor. Do not go under 100 in treasury though because your diplomat cannot gift such little money.

Who is next?
    Last edited by Veteraan; December 22, 2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Thread belongs in Maps, guides and other resources

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Tips for TATW and mods

Not a bad idea. It has the potential to become a very useful thread.

Of course I don't know how you are planning to keep this organized. I think it can only be successful if you keep an eye on it and list all tips that are suitable in the OP, preferably using a few different categories.

Well, that is going by the premise that there are many responses of course.

Alternatively, you could also use a sort of index system whereby you shortly list the subject of a posted tip and provide a link to the post itself in the OP. Also per category, if there are enough tips to make it worth the effort.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Ok I will write something about strat army movement, because all too often I forget to do it myself.

When on the strat map one can see various strategic points. Some of them are:

1. Bridges,
    2. Forests,
    3. Other choke points besides bridges,
    4. Mountain slopes.

Now, when one wants to go from point A to point B, he usually just orders the army on the strat map to move from A to B even if it might take multiple turns.

What I found out is that it is better for the army to end its turn in one of the above strategic points, especially when playing as an Elven Faction. The reasons are many and more or less obvious:
    • Bridge battle -great archers-,
    • Ambush battle -great forest bonus- or even battle evasion altogether -small reinforcement army-,
    • Multiple fronts prevention,
    • Downhill battle.

One of my greatest moments was when I placed a small army next to a forest and one big army in the forest. The AI was provoked to attack since it could only see the small army. You can see how strat map placement really matters...

It's a bit obvious, but as I said I forget it more often than not. Now, it has to be said to be said that it doesn't apply all the time. Sometimes it's better to stay on the fields (e.g. cavalry army) and other times it's of no use as when you take the One Ring to Mordor, a situation requiring huge armies. No use to e.g. hide there because noone will ever attack you.

This was my small tip. It's not very TATW specific, but it's a very valid strategy for the Elves. And for the Enedwaith faction in DaC.
    Last edited by Socrates1984; December 25, 2016 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Bolded the tip's point

9 people comment on TATW main thread a day, and our OC moderators have to put this in the resources thread where no one will see it or read it. Along with all the other dead threads that could be useful. Yet I can go to the front main page and see a thread called "stagnet war" that hasn't been commented on in 50 days. Stagnet war is more visible than tips and resources? It isn't a wonder that even our biggest modders don't really know how to play the game. Argghhh.

Quote Originally Posted by orclover5 View Post
    9 people comment on TATW main thread a day, and our OC moderators have to put this in the resources thread where no one will see it or read it. Along with all the other dead threads that could be useful. Yet I can go to the front main page and see a thread called "stagnet war" that hasn't been commented on in 50 days. Stagnet war is more visible than tips and resources?
    So you posted this intentionally in the wrong forum? Stagnet war may be not commented on in 50 days, but at least it was posted in the right forum. It is slowly dropping out of sight, as most threads do and is now on page 2. Chances are that your tips and resources thread would have done the same, but regardless of that, it still belongs in the maps, guides and other resources forum. The advantage of being placed there is that posts do not disappear from the first page very quickly.

I also would like to know what exactly your "OC" stands for, as I would not want to report your post to a site moderator based on a misunderstanding.

It isn't a wonder that even our biggest modders don't really know how to play the game. Argghhh.
    I really am curious about what facts this statement is based on.
    Edit: And what is has to do with the fact that your thread has been moved to its proper place.
    Last edited by Veteraan; December 30, 2016 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    So you posted this intentionally in the wrong forum? Stagnet war may be not commented on in 50 days, but at least it was posted in the right forum. It is slowly dropping out of sight, as most threads do and is now on page 2. Chances are that your tips and resources thread would have done the same, but regardless of that, it still belongs in the maps, guides and other resources forum. The advantage of being placed there is that posts do not disappear from the first page very quickly.

I also would like to know what exactly your "OC" stands for, as I would not want to report your post to a site moderator based on a misunderstanding.

I really am curious about what facts this statement is based on.
    Edit: And what is has to do with the fact that your thread has been moved to its proper place.

Look all of the TATW moderators are kind enough and very consistent in their duties. The best way I can explain my frustration and conflict is to use a town analogy. TATW forums is a town of 50 citizens. But the original rules for the town, which all citizens must abide by, were made for thousands of citizens, all inhabiting the forum daily, at one time. That is not the case in the forum...I had the same argument when a moderator tried to cut down on discussion in the screenshots thread. The forum(town) is dying, the moderators job is to enforce rules, without worry about the rules impacting use and population. We have 6 subforums, with very little activity. The front page, which most people will see contains what are supposed to be daily threads but end up being misc and not having a place, so therefore they are put in front of the 50 people who visit at any time, meanwhile the useful stuff is hidden behind subforum. That means our new player(forum) base sees useless threads, and misses the hidden tips, resources, screenshots threads that could entice them to participate more in the game and forum. M2TW, TATW are very complicated games, with lots of layers...the more our player base learns about the base game, TATW, and submods, the more likely they are to enjoy the game. I watch nearly all of AG's youtube videos, and he has pointed out, time and time again, how he doesn't appreciate or enjoy the minor details(micro) of playing M2tw, TAtw, and DAC...he doesn't like to keep generals alive or build up good traits. What that means for our player base is that they too will lack the ability to enjoy the entire scope of the game, which is very deep and gratifying. As a consequence our submods have made the game easier, and not harder, deeper, and more complicated. Paradoxically, making a game easier, makes it less popular in the long run, as people face roll the game, and then quit after 100 turns. DAC for example only considers 10% of the factions as difficult. Of course, AG can make whatever submod he wants(the unit depth and balance(difficulty aside) is outstanding), AG can play however he wants, and you should continue to moderate according to rules. I am passionate about a game that is five years old, and want to interact with a community that has few people. Total War forum rules doesn't encourage a person of my kind, and makes it nearly impossible to start a daily thread that involves the knowing minds to help educate all who play the game. I apologize for my angry tone, it was not necessarily directed at a moderator but instead the archaic rules, and poor forum structure, which you have to enforce.

Good, that is sorted then. I will not take it personally, but rather as an "attack" on the forum structure and archaic rules as you perceive them.

I partially agree with what you wrote, mainly in the fact that there are much less visitors to this forum and even less members that post here than there once were. I think it is very optimistic to expect a tips thread to be daily updated, even when it had remained on the main page. Many (once) popular threads have dropped out of sight. I really think such a thread is better off in the forum I placed it in. Opinions on this of course may and will differ.

Should anybody wish to discuss this subject any further (the subject being the current status of the TATW forum, regarding; the number of active posters, the structure of the forums, and the way it is moderated) than please take notice that this is not the place to do so. After all, this is a tips thread. Ironically, I believe the right place for such a thread would be..... the main TATW forum.

Citizen

Back on topic then!

Dwarven army composition when defending.

Ok, it's not a matter exactly deserving any kind of advice, since you can simply put them there and they will probably get the job done. But a few tricks never hurt anyone. So...

...Always play battles in settlements.
    This works best with the previous advice of always placing the army where it can't be seen/on slopes/bridges. It works even further when utilising moving towers (spies).

...Always have Halberdiers and/or Vault Wardens with you.
    I have found they are among the best of the best to hold choke points. One of them gets the job done, two are devastating.

... One unit with stakes.
    It depends on the mod/submod which unit has them. Makes your life a lot easier, because it relieves your Halberds/Pikes greatly.

... Catapult.
    Because it gives you some preemptiveness and the attacker doesn't have all the freedom of movement and initiative he is normally allowed. Especially DaC's Dwarven Catapults have an especially devastating grape shot, even now that it has been toned down a bit.

... One Merc Cavalry.
    Keep as reserve to hunt down the broken enemy. Don't use it during the main battle because they generally offer few things. They help a lot in the long run because Dwarves have no other means to chase down fleeing troops, thus missing the opportunity to either wear down the opponent's armies or ask for payment.

The composition of the rest of the army is of course important, but not like the above tricks.

This message was sent by my mobile phone.
    Last edited by Socrates1984; January 03, 2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Originally sent by my mobile, now edited.

TIP: Getting Good Taxman Trait on general. +30% increase in taxes

This trait is much easier than the kind ruler trait, and should be found on all of your settlement generals.
    1.When you have a building with one turn left until completion, you should turn up your taxes to very high.
    2. Make sure your happiness in the town is yellow or green face. This may mean you need to add a garrison from a nearby area.
    3. End Turn
    4. This trait has 3 levels, 10%, 20%, 30 %. You will need to pop it 3 times to get the highest level. Of course in a major large city, with taxes turned up this will greatly increase your income. And for a faction like Gondor or Mordor, having 15 generals with a 30% increase to taxes, and taxes turned up, means a complete game changer in terms of economy.
    5. Another (+) of this, if you are recruiting troops in the same settlement you have a chance to get a 10% decrease to recruitment costs.

Quote Originally Posted by orclover View Post
    1.When you have a building with one turn left until completion, you should turn up your taxes to very high.
    This trait can accquired with "high taxes" aswell as "very high taxes", it also does not require a building to be completed, it just takes longer to trigger

My number 1 tip for mods for TATW
    keep an unmodified copy of TATW in a different folder/drive, this saves having to reinstall it for different mods, I use this for many other games aswell

Campaign movement points is very important for my generals
    The Energetic and LogisticalSkill traits are easy enough to accquire by keeping the desired general out of settlements and using up his units(its best to keep him alone or with another unit that has same movement points) movement points every turn.

Horsemaster is a very useful ancillary as its gives 15% movement points
    To get it, fight battles with only cavalry or if general is an infantry unit have him with 3 times(2 times works aswell iirc) as much cavalry as infantry

marks of war/scarred trait line is very useful for good generals
    Its easy to accquire by fighting auto resolved battles, it helps to have only a few units in your army, its very hard to accquire by fighting manual battles

Healthy trait line
    Is accquired by completing buildings in settlements that improve public health, iirc high or very high taxes at the time of completion might also be a requirement

Minimal UI
    I'm always amazed when I see people not using this as it makes battles much easiar to manage as 25% of your screen is not blocked by the normal ugly UI, all the parts of the UI can be toggled on/off using the "F5-F6 etc" keys

Guard Mode
    This used to be the "hold position" command which conveys its purpose more clearly, I only ever use this on archers, units with spearwall, shield wall or units holding a chokepoint.
    Basically it means hold position, the units will only move a small amount so it stops them advancing through gates in siege battles or over river crossings while fighting. It reduces the attack rate of units so only use it for mentioned units or if holding a chokepoint.
    Using it for archers stops them moving when a target is out of range, it allows you to keep formation much easiar.
    If fire at will is on they will select the nearest target to them, if fire at will is off you have to select a new target for them
    If archers are going to to engage in melee turn guard mode off as they will do better in melee without it, same goes for pretty much any unit as it provides a bonus to defense and a penalty to attack

Moving in formation
    "Alt + right click", "alt + double right click" for moving while holding formation and "hold alt + drag right click" for adjusting facing
    When it comes to a sally battle you need to setup the formation you desire outside castle walls and then group them into 1 group for the above formation moving to work.
    Last edited by insolent1; January 04, 2017 at 10:15 AM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by insolent1 View Post
    My number 1 tip for mods for TATW
    keep an unmodified copy of TATW in a different folder/drive, this saves having to reinstall it for different mods, I use this for many other games aswell
    I totally second that.
    Minimal UI
    I'm always amazed when I see people not using this as it makes battles much easiar to manage as 25% of your screen is not blocked by the normal ugly UI, all the parts of the UI can be toggled on/off using the "F5-F6 etc" keys
    I would agree, but I find one very crucial button missing from the minimal UI: The one that highlights what units belong to whom (your's, enemies', reinforcements etc).

Guard Mode
    This used to be the "hold position" command which conveys its purpose more clearly, I only ever use this on archers, units with spearwall, shield wall or units holding a chokepoint.
    Basically it means hold position, the units will only move a small amount so it stops them advancing through gates in siege battles or over river crossings while fighting. It reduces the attack rate of units so only use it for mentioned units or if holding a chokepoint.
    Using it for archers stops them moving when a target is out of range, it allows you to keep formation much easiar.
    If fire at will is on they will select the nearest target to them, if fire at will is off you have to select a new target for them
    If archers are going to to engage in melee turn guard mode off as they will do better in melee without it, same goes for pretty much any unit as it provides a bonus to defense and a penalty to attack
    I believe the two lines I have in red have been disproved, especially the second about the defense bonus, which I am pretty sure is not true. If you can provide any links or info about both them though, please do so, because the discussion about it goes on and on. And because I am very much interested in these and other mechanics.
    One really good tactic with Guard Mode is related to javelins. Because in Guard Mode the units doesn't lose its coherence, you can easily place a (for example) spear unit in front and a javelin unit behind it. Now, when an enemy unit clashes with the spear unit, your spear unit will not get so mixed up with the enemy. So, you javelins will be more accurate and will strike less of your men. That is, if for some reason you cannot maneuver your javelins behind the enemy unit.
    Moving in formation
    "Alt + right click", "alt + double right click" for moving while holding formation and "hold alt + drag right click" for adjusting facing
    When it comes to a sally battle you need to setup the formation you desire outside castle walls and then group them into 1 group for the above formation moving to work.
    Oh my! I didn't know that! I will check it ASAP. Despite playing the game for some 9-10 years now, I am still learning new things. A fact that compliments the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates1984 View Post
    I would agree, but I find one very crucial button missing from the minimal UI: The one that highlights what units belong to whom (your's, enemies', reinforcements etc).

I believe the two lines I have in red have been disproved
    You can use the mini map to identify friend/foe and mouse over does it aswell with the minimal UI
    My mistake about guard mode I must have got it mixed up with shield wall or something

Citizen

My mistake about guard mode I must have got it mixed up with shield wall or something
    In fact Shield Wall doesn't add to the unit's defense; it adds to its mass, thus making it better at receiving charges. Of course it augments their coherence too, so that when an enemy unit charges them, they will get so messed up. So, Shield Wall and guard mode is the best combination to hold choke points.

KEEP THE POPULATION GROWING. Never let it hold steady, never let it drop if you can help it(Plague is random). More pop=more taxes and more trade income.

Be careful with queuing up buildings, even though of course you want lots of things everywhere all at once. Tasks get paid for in expanding rings starting from the capital. So you may find that some things get ignored in favour of other things that were closer to the capital. Then of course, there's things like saving up to get one big thing sorted out.

Build the Grain Exchange where you can. The 'Bad Trader' line is foul, and easily 'earned' if you have any city wall, but no Grain Exchange. You can't afford the loss in money.

Whether you build the armour buildings will depend on your faction and how easy or hard it is to get your armour point. There's no situation in this mod like there is with Halberd/Pike Militia in standard where a unit can take all the upgrades and thus get +4 to 6 armour on their base score. Most will only get a single point at a certain level of smith.
    Last edited by Bloodly; December 30, 2017 at 05:50 AM.

Here's some of my suggestions:

Traits for Governors and generals:

Taxman line (already covered) - I agree - one of the best economy improvers: to reiterate: put taxes on High or Very High one turn before a building is completed.

Logistician line: It is not gained by building watchtowers (which I thought for years). The 5% chance is when your general ends his move with no movement points outside a settlement. My error was that he would be probably building towers. Correlation is not causation! The move and morale bonus: 10% +1 morale; 15% +2; 20% +3.

This might be a bit "Gamey": you have a 10% chance of getting a Merc Captain (transferable) to your retinue. This gives a 10% discount on recruiting and a 10% bonus on looting. Bandits are cheap. You can hire them from 100 gp and then disband them immediately and hire again next turn. Even if you have to invest 1000gp, it still will soon repay itself for your fighting generals.

As the economics of the game are stacked against you, I find it is important to enhance it as much as possible.