Thread: Quit after 10-star byzantium general manually and alone killed 300 units on my square

Default Quit after 10-star byzantium general manually and alone killed 300 units on my square

There were cases even in original kingdoms when the enemy general was able to kill like 30-40 peasant archers and make few hundreds running. And I hate original game for that as its physically impossible.
    But what I saw here was even worse. During siege 20 bodyguards went through gates alone, when other infantry tried to get into walls and alone went to central square. And they started to fight alone vs like 500 soldiers - spearmen, skirmishers, archers etc. Finally general remained alone and he just continued to hack every my unit in one hit. Next 5-7 minutes I was trying to kill him with like 300 units and failed down so enemy infantry come. Even after that I was unsuccessful to kill this terminator in next 5 mins or so. So finally he killed everyone. This is what fanatic modes all about. No balance. that.

Default Re: Quit after 10-star byzantium general manually and alone killed 300 units on my square

Killing generals with heavy armor such as the roman / arabic or late european bodyguards in close combat is pointless. Even elite infantry with two handed weapons (+bonus against cavalry) will suffer heavy casualties and may be even rout before the general is dead. There a few more or less effective ways to get him down:

1. Javelines are your best friend. They will bring down any horsemen with ease, just make sure you have at least 1 unit of them in your army (better more) and keep their ammo for the enemy bodyguards.

2. Crossbowmen. Engage the enemy bodyguards with spearmen or any other available unit that does not run immediately and let your crossbows shoot at them. You might kill a lot of your own men but that is the price you have to pay.

3. Heavy Cavalry charges. Again, engage the enemy bodyguards with spearmen, get your heavy cav. behind them and then charge in their backs. Repeat that until the general is dead (usually after 1-3 times).

4. Archers, see no. 2. The least effective ones but still better than relying on melee only.

Default Re: Quit after 10-star byzantium general manually and alone killed 300 units on my square

i think there's a hitpoints boost for AI generals family members heir and leader depending on dificulty

i remember this from when i looked in traits to reduce battlesurgery because the AI was recovering insane amouts of soldiers everytime i lost a battle

The most "fun" unit to end up fighting over and over and over. It's so much less painful to spam assassins at them or try to catch them solo in settlements and just press autoresolve with a whole stack... Or stakes.

Javelins, jav cav, longbows (with their awesome stakes), or any old archer that deploys stakes, spearmen, artillery (though they tend to have the aim of drunkards). Assassins are good, but unless you quick-save, quick-load, you might end up spending lots of dosh recruiting them. Alternatively, avoid battles in the field, and concentrate on capturing their settlements. Any war against the Byzantines is going to cost the lives of a lot of men, unless you are able to hit them hard early and keep the pressure on.

Yep. Completely ridiculous. I had forgotten how much these generals made me rage. The worst is when you fight the leader of a faction with his 30+ bodyguards, you kill him and next turn you fight the new "leader" with another 30+ bodyguards.

How is this in anyway realistic? I've seen them charge and take on armored professional spearmen and take barely any casualties. A single good spear strike should be able to bring down the horse.

Can't anything be done about this? I know the mod isn't being updated but there must be a way to make generals human again...

I dont think that Byzantine gens are unbalanced, considering the overall weak roster of Byzantine Empire. All high tier troops have very high recruitment costs and require lots of expensive upgraded buildings. So considering that your main line will be the lame contaratoi for a good number of turns, I find thT n overpowered gen bodyguard isnt unbalanced.

What you need to do is get better at the game and not whine about terminators.
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

I almost never lose any city sieges to enemy generals because I had Lithuanian Archers (as Poland). I make them deploy stakes right in front of the gate, and if that's not possible, right in front of the city centre. The enemy general and all other cavalry units will just charge through and (90% of them) get killed instantly, usually including the general. Easy wins

Staking the city centre is a good, cheesy strat that almost always works.
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon