Thread: Search for a Bride

Default Search for a Bride

Towards the end of the summer of 1474, the Earl of Devon summons several of his retainers to Tiverton Castle to undertake a task for him. Upon their arrival at Tiverton, the six men are ushered into the great hall, where the earl and his uncles await them. "Gentlemen, thank you for answering my summons with such haste." John and Henry look at each other for a moment, slightly surprised that they would not have to translate what Hugh was saying for the retainers, having expected their nephew to speak in French instead of English. "I wish for you to ride to Cardinham in Cornwall, Totnes, Berry Pomeroy, Great Torrington in Devon. Your task is to find out if either the Dinhams, de Pomeroy, de Totnes, or the feudal baron of Torrington have a member of their house whom I could marry." "Are you sure you want to marry the daughter of a baron? We could probably find you a Burgundian wife or perhaps even a French one considering you are great-nephew of Rene of Anjou due to your mother being the daughter of the late Count of Maine.." the Viscount Courtenay responds. Henry shakes his head. "Brother, I am certain news of his majesty's declaration has reached France..and even if we did secure a marriage for Hugh with a French nobleman, I'm sure that will not be looked favorably by the peers of the realm." "Yet how many houses in the realm have relatives that Hugh could marry? Most of the ones I've heard have young children who would be a better match for Charles." "Oncles." Hugh speaks in French to get his uncles' attention. "Seeking a bride from l'Royamue is not an option for not only what uncle Henry has said, but I doubt the French view our house favorably after Wallingford. As for Burgundy, perhaps if our search amongst the baronies fails we shall consider sending several agents to Burgundy." Noticing his uncles were about to speak, Hugh raises his hand to silence them so he may continue. "As for a marriage within England, is my sister still not betrothed to a son of the Duke of Exeter, and I am sure we can find a bride for Charles from a noble house of England. So it is of little concern if I marry a member of one of houses holding a feudal barony, perhaps we shall even acquire a third one for the house of Courtenay from it."

Hugh then turns to his assembled retainers. "For your mission, you will be provided with a purse of five thousand crowns." He then gestures for his servants to bring forth the chests bearing the crowns. "If any of the barons require my presence or further aid is required, send word to Tiverton."

ooc -
    Rolls required (I think.)
    -4 rolls to see if the Barons of Cardinham, Great Torrington, Berry Pomeroy, or Totnes have an eligible daughter/relative between the ages of 15 and 20
    -If any do, a second roll is required to see if they would accept a marriage between the member of their house and the Earl of Devon.
    -Secondary objective for the Earl is to try and acquire one of the baronies through the marriage.
    Last edited by Xion; December 21, 2016 at 01:20 PM.