Thread: Unit/ Uniform Upgrade

jg209's Avatar Foederatus

Default Unit/ Uniform Upgrade

Is there any way to upgrade the unit in the campaign map in order to upgrade its uniform? Currently the only way to get the newer uniform is to recruit another unit and destroy your existing one, but obviously one does not want to do that because the units have experience. The result is a campaign that has units of all different uniform designs i.e. 1805, 1807 etc design. So is there a way of upgrading the uniforms but keep the unit with its experience? Thanks,

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Unit/ Uniform Upgrade

I wish CA would have given us a way to do it automatically. But it is unfortunately not possible this is something they introduced only in Rome 2

Hmm. What about a manual upgrade button like in Empire: TW? That would work wouldn't it?

Patrician Artifex

No. There is no such button in NTW, and no way to connect it to something behind that I know of.

If CA made something for a game, but doesn't give access to it in another, we cannot put in back.

We don't have access to the source code of the game.

Yeah... damn! Too bad they don't just hire you

Patrician Artifex

They don't have to hire me... I could work for free as long as they give me the tools I'd need to change the map or adapt a little the way they handle the DB

Do you think this is possible?

Patrician Artifex

I very much doubt it. They don't seem to care much about older titles.

But surely they recognise the business opportunity of keeping their releases alive, and the hard work that the modders put into making their titles playable, so to speak. It could be worth a try - MoE really does need that upgrade button for the units...

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by jg209 View Post
    But surely they recognise the business opportunity of keeping their releases alive, and the hard work that the modders put into making their titles playable, so to speak. It could be worth a try - MoE really does need that upgrade button for the units...
    No i don`t think they recognize it. And if CA recognizes it, SEGA won´t.
    But in real life many veteran units kept their older uniforms as status symbol, "we were dressing into battle like you dress into parade long before you were born kid". Many Grenadier units also refused to give up their short swords, not so much becouse they were useful in battle, altough they would certainly be useful in close quarters, but mostly they just saw it as handy tool to cut bread and other such jobs.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Patrician Artifex

IMO, a company like CA should at some point "transfer" their older game to a group of selected fans, if they don't maintain it anymore, so they can produce minor correction, small evolutions, new contents...
    They could even make an agreement so that the produced content is not released by this team, but released as a paying DLC.

More incomes for CA at a limited cost.

But this requires some vision...

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    IMO, a company like CA should at some point "transfer" their older game to a group of selected fans, if they don't maintain it anymore, so they can produce minor correction, small evolutions, new contents...
    They could even make an agreement so that the produced content is not released by this team, but released as a paying DLC.

More incomes for CA at a limited cost.

But this requires some vision...
    ...and vision is not really something CA is known for.

Yeah well maybe we should give them a new pair of glasses.

Though granted, Warhammer Total War is in my books objectively best Total War since Medieval 2. Best modern era Total War no doubt. It has good perfomance, good graphics, good enough balance, very good UI improvements. DLC price is questionable, but they are good enough too. There is nothing really wrong with the game for me. Sieges are disappointing and utilize 0 awesome stuff of Warhammer world, sieges in Third Age total war are so much more epic, but sieges do work well enough. Pretty hard to make multiple year sieges into 1 hour battle. It is great base to build the next game. Monster units and everything works really well, just need to bring epic sieges of Third Age mod into Warhammer TW.

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

Quote Originally Posted by jg209 View Post
    Yeah well maybe we should give them a new pair of glasses.
    Steph has I believe been able to make later units slightly more powerful,than their previous versions, meaning eventually the unit will expire, as re-enforcements will not longer spawn for unsupported units, so he has made a good effort with the tools he does have. But frankly, he should make his own damn game, it;d be better. XD
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

Patrician Artifex

True for some faction (Britain for example), but French late units are less interesting (slightly lower morale). Others, like Prussians, have better morale but lower accuracy.

I couldn't make my own game, I can't program the engine alone.

In defence of CA:
    1) A lot of the software tools they used to create the game are from 3rd party providers who maintain ownership of that software.
    CA bought an internal licence to use the software rather than buying it outright.

2) Counterfeit
    By CA putting out the inner workings of the game it allows
    While in Western countries such a product would be banned from distribution in many non-Western countries like China they ignore intellectual property rights. In these countries edited versions could be sold by (effectively) thieves and CA would get no income.

3) Competitors 'borrowing' information:
    Opening up the bare bones of how CA games are made allows competitors or would be competitors a massive assist in how to build a game like Total War.
    In the past these were simple text files but now it's a whole host of different scripts.
    1/2 the work making a game like Total War is getting the behind the scenes 'architecture' of how everything is setup.

CA though have poorly communicated these points since Empire Total War and have only been clearer in the last few years.
    They promise a higher amount of mod support or say they have released tools which allow you to do XYZ when they completely omit to say, "oh yes, you need software X, Y and Z which cumalitevely costs £100,000's a year for a individual licences."

They should of been clearer earlier on.

Ernst von Jacob's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I wish CA would have given us a way to do it automatically. But it is unfortunately not possible this is something they introduced only in Rome 2
    In LME they somehow managed it to do different campaings and they are save game compatible. U start 1805 with old uniforms and if u want new uniforms u start the 1812 campaign and load the 1805 save game.

Patrician Artifex

it would be possible by replacing a mod pack with uniforms with another modpack with other uniforms, and asking the players to change it at some point. But that's manual work, not something automatic.

And you would have few control on it (ie apply to all the units at once, hard to change only a few units for exemple, unless you have a very complex submod system)
    Last edited by Steph; July 28, 2020 at 08:18 AM.