Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: New Attila Content in 2017

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Default Re: New Attila Content in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    I feel your pain, man. Same here.
    Agreed. I remember the days when I was playing Napoleon and Fall of the Samurai all the time, extremely optimistic about the future and direction of Total War games.

To this day, I still wonder what happened to CA between the releases of FotS and Rome II.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

There won't be any new content added to the existing historical games. Anybody who is waiting for this is a simpleton.

If anything is added, it'll be unpolished content that's been sitting on their files since the games first came out, like that Spartan skin they added to Rome 1, or the leftover skins they added to Empire.
    I can't believe you people, blathering on about something that absolutely won't happen. Do you folks believe in Santa Claus as well?

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    I feel your pain, man. Same here.

Dude,

I love fantasy, but only when it feels realistic. It needs realism to ground the ridiculous aspects.
    But that game just felt like a cartoon. The battle animations for me were so disappointing, and I really wanted to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Agreed. I remember the days when I was playing Napoleon and Fall of the Samurai all the time, extremely optimistic about the future and direction of Total War games.

To this day, I still wonder what happened to CA between the releases of FotS and Rome II.
    I Love Attila. But Rome 2... Its funny, every time I am like " I would love to play in antiquity, play as the carthaginians. I turn on Rome 2, start the game and realise how ing broken it is. And I can't play as the Carthaginians, or the Seleucids.
    Last edited by Frunk; March 14, 2017 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Quotes merged.

Decanus

...in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles.
    It seems to me the game need performance patch the most (because Attila seems to be the least performant games in all theirs), then mod tools abilities.
    And not much DLC.

I think this would make a lot of people be super happy with this.

While a lot of "fans" would really disagree with me, I think the game have not much bugs "ingame". There's some compatibility problems though, and a lot of performance issues.
    That's why I think the game passed CA's QA with no(t much) problems and that's also why we had not much official patchs.

I'd like to know if CA would some performance patch for the game or not. I'm not asking them lot of work : maybe some dude in the Warhammer team did a trick to the game engine to free lots of computer power. I just want the dude from the Warhammer team to tell to the dude from the Attila team what magic they used, and the Attila team to evaluate if one week or two working on those issues is ok or not.

And tell. I don't understand their secrecy.

I was a new customer in M:TW2 days, and I remember them being a lot more vocal about their games, and focused a lot more on technical issues than today, where they are focused on content issues (because money, sure, it's a very valid way of running their compagny).

But the focus on technical issue made M:TW2 a classic game (they may not want to do M:TW3 for this very reason. I think they are wrong but whatever).
    Then, to my point of view, the games they did after are somehow some "consumption" games. They are trying new and ambitious things each game, yes, but, to me, fail at keeping and refining their things.

Attila, to me, was a major step in the right direction. Because they try to change the game.

Sure, there is still those agents issues (aka "if you can, kill onsight", where disposing of an agent should in my opinion but a result of a strategic choice, not only a choice based only on your means at disposal, because these choices are "dumb").
    Sure, the CAI is quite clumsy and is a cheater.
    Sure, Hunpocalypse (without a "yes / some / no" option feature, without a "only me / everyone" option feature).
    Sure, the unit roster is victim of a lot of copy-paste when special units in other games was funny (where is the Frank's francisca, aka the german tomahawk ?).
    Sure, big issues a lots of better players than me said.

But I feel the game is right. It's right in its structure, it's right because I think there is almost everything old customers like me liked in TW.

I don't understand their secrecy and lack of communication about Attila, a 25 month old product that would need a gold version (I just verified in Wikipedia, life cycle of CA's product is maintenance for 1 year, then nothing, then gold edition at year 2).
    I would love to be a little mouse to see what they are doing in CA's headquarters.

Attila is a wonderfull game and I think that is annoucing great games in the future but... Attila could be a classic !

ATTILA WANT GOLD !
    Last edited by L'Ost; March 14, 2017 at 06:17 AM.
    Hygienism is feudalism.
    OBEY

Don't think by yourself, apply dogma instead.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

OK Ladies,here are the News for Rome 2 and Attila... Comment NOW!!!

WhatAnArtist's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by skillfultree View Post
    Would CA even do a rise of Islam DLC? It might be way too controversial.
    Nah, as long as they let us play as the Romans so we can Deus Vult them back to their desert it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    But Rome 2... Its funny, every time I am like " I would love to play in antiquity, play as the carthaginians. I turn on Rome 2, start the game and realise how ing broken it is. And I can't play as the Carthaginians, or the Seleucids.
    Your wish may be granted if Ancient Empires is ever released, taking the great time period of Rome II but using the great mechanics of Attila.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; March 23, 2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: double post merged

Thanks for posting the video FrozenmenSS, I check the main forums so little these days that I would have never noticed the post had you not posted it here.

Regarding the Black Ops Task Team, I think that it's great that Jack is part of it, that means that they are serious about producing something historical. The narrator in the video kinda let his imagination run wild though dreaming of a Renaissance scenario as DLC for Rome 2 or Attila. What really makes me sad is that there are a lot of people who tend to think along those lines. I would be more than happy to see content that reinforces the story of the classical age (for Rome 2) or the dark ages (for Attila). AoC was the perfect outlier as it presented the rebirth of the West following the destruction and chaos of Late Antiquity. No need to water down the game's story with a scenario (William the Conqueror, VIKINGS!, Crusades) that takes play in a timeframe beyond that. Save that for Medieval 3 and the new engine.

What Attila needs is either Rise of Islam or Aurelian.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Thanks for posting the video FrozenmenSS, I check the main forums so little these days that I would have never noticed the post had you not posted it here.

Regarding the Black Ops Task Team, I think that it's great that Jack is part of it, that means that they are serious about producing something historical. The narrator in the video kinda let his imagination run wild though dreaming of a Renaissance scenario as DLC for Rome 2 or Attila. What really makes me sad is that there are a lot of people who tend to think along those lines. I would be more than happy to see content that reinforces the story of the classical age (for Rome 2) or the dark ages (for Attila). AoC was the perfect outlier as it presented the rebirth of the West following the destruction and chaos of Late Antiquity. No need to water down the game's story with a scenario (William the Conqueror, VIKINGS!, Crusades) that takes play in a timeframe beyond that. Save that for Medieval 3 and the new engine.

What Attila needs is either Rise of Islam or Aurelian.
    Well there is a reasom Oakley HF is one of the best TW youtubers for the last 4-5 years and for me he is one of my top 5 favorite TW youtubers.

Back to the topic. From what I see in the CA's Statement there may be not only 1 new standalone DLC per Attila or Rome 2,but I dont see new stuff for Shogun 2(maybe the Japanese invasions of Korea 1592–98 but highly unlikely) or Older TW games.

So my top predictions for the new Content of Rome 2/Attila:

Attila: Rise of Islam DLC Campaign with 634ad starting date (Rise of the Arabs,Heraclius) call it as you like.
    Rome 2: Alexander DLC Campaign just like in Rome 1 Total war back in the days.
    Imporing stuff from Warhammer like PC optimisation for both Games and the success of the Warhammer Modding Tools and finnaly fix the Attila's Modding tools.

Maybe a Faction Pack with 3 nomadic factions that can settle down in Attila Grand Campaign and FLC Armenia for Attila TW.

Now with the Speculations:
    Now in Theory Total War: Attila can be used for modding or creating DLC stand Alone DLC-s from 500BC to the Napoleonic Era on the Stuff that are already inside the game already.Just Look at the Artilery units and the Gunpowder units that are in the Medieval Kingdoms 1212ad. With the Modding tools of Warhammer (used by CA or the Modders we see fantastic sieges)And If CA give us Modding tools to Create new Custom Campaign Maps(just like in Medieval 2,instead of just changing cosmetic stuff ) Attila got the Potentional to be the Best Historical Total War Game to date.

The gap between historical titles is potentially so huge (up to four years) that it makes more and more sense that they'll release more DLC to keep their traditional market loyal. To be honest I wouldn't be satisfied if they just released modding tools, no matter how useful. I think they still have a lot of work to do to finish both R2 and Attila, especially the latter, to clean up hard-coded bugs and poorly implemented features. The human-centered AI in Attila is just bad, for example. Or the relentless political assassination events in R2 as another example.

Speculation: For R2, a DLC of the rise of Rome from the Tarquins to Pyrrhus, featuring a huge map of Italy. Or perhaps Marcus Aurelius and his favourite General, who happens to bear a striking resemblance to a famous Aussie/Kiwi actor...

Attila: Heraclius could be done if certain factions can be depicted sympathetically or in a heroic light. However, CA are a British company, so an Alfred the Great campaign remains a distinct possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    The gap between historical titles is potentially so huge (up to four years) that it makes more and more sense that they'll release more DLC to keep their traditional market loyal. To be honest I wouldn't be satisfied if they just released modding tools, no matter how useful. I think they still have a lot of work to do to finish both R2 and Attila, especially the latter, to clean up hard-coded bugs and poorly implemented features. The human-centered AI in Attila is just bad, for example. Or the relentless political assassination events in R2 as another example.
    I quite agree. Attila still has some aspects that could use cleaning up. Performance and AI being the most blatant examples.

Speculation: For R2, a DLC of the rise of Rome from the Tarquins to Pyrrhus, featuring a huge map of Italy.
    That's a pretty neat idea. I would really like to see some new theaters explored such as the Dacian Wars (how has this never made a Total War game? Romans in their imperial prime vs. Getae and Roxolani). I believe that one aspect that hurt Rome II was that its DLC was a bit too stereotypical/pop-culture oriented without attempting to go outside of the box. Hannibal at the Gates, for example, wasn't much different from the first 20 years of the Grand Campaign in the Western Mediterranean. There was really nothing "new" to explore there.

Attila: Heraclius could be done if certain factions can be depicted sympathetically or in a heroic light.
    I would actually depict the Romans and Sassanids as relatively weak in this campaign. Historically, the Romans and Sassanids were so worn out that the Arabs ran circles around them. CA has already told the story of what occurred in the Roman West during the Dark Ages (TLR and AoC), a campaign telling the story of what happened to the Roman East makes perfect sense.

However, CA are a British company, so an Alfred the Great campaign remains a distinct possibility.
    Not sure if this would be such a great idea. It honestly comes off as a DLC for a previously made DLC (Age of Charlemagne)

I might eat my words, but I don't think for a minute that you are ever going to see a "Rise of Islam" DLC for any Total War game. None who have suggested it are thinking like a commercial game company has to. Given the political and religious tensions between various Islamic based factions and the rest of the world today, it is just too controversial. You have to quit only thinking in your insular history geek world, but in the real world where real businesses have to deal with public perception and opinion.

For similar reasons, one will never see an invasion of Korea DLC for Shogun II. CA is a division of Sammy Sega, which is a a Japanese based company. Even after hundreds of years, Japan and Korea have never been on great terms--especially North Korea, but then they don't get along with anybody except maybe China and that hasn't been going so well lately.

If CA comes up with something, I'm betting it will be to appeal to a broad audience and likely something that is currently topical and popular.

Cheers

P.S. By topical, I don't mean manical terrorist attacks every other week either
    Last edited by Forward Observer; March 18, 2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

I'm sure Rome 2 and Attila will get some content each.

But those three words : "stand alone expansion" I think that will tide us all over for the next three or four years.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Please rep Mr. Theramines for bringing this to my attention.

Things have been pretty quiet here over the past year with CA's efforts having moved on to Warhammer and the plethora of other stuff that they produce. However, there now seems to be a faint glimmer of hope for potential historical content for the more recent historical games (Rome 2/Attila) while they are still in the planning stages for the next historical title.

First of all - this is awesome! It is great that CA may potentially revisit this game with new content. Most importantly, this might be the last chance we have to truly flesh out Attila and tie up any loose ends that the game may have according to the fan-base. Therefore, let's begin discussions regarding what would you guys like to see in the game.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, Armenia is the proverbial elephant in the room, the last major faction that is missing from ATW.

How about cleaning up the issue with "Sarmatians" in the game by creating a unique Sarmatian religion? I have noticed that faction leaders sometimes have the trait "Likes/Dislikes Sarmatians" yet I do not know where this is truly manifested in the game, as the Alani technically have Germanic culture/Arian religion despite their new "Sarmatian" unit roster. That would be a really neat addition. While CA is at it, it may be a good idea to clean up the non-playable Iazyges/Roxolani factions by giving them a copy/paste Alani roster as opposed to the current Hunnic one. I would even go as far as suggest renaming the Roxolani as the "Arcaragantes." It would make more historical sense.

What about the idea of a whole new DLC? I imagine that it is more unlikely to happen, but it could be a really good money-maker and would most def bring the historical community back to Total War games while CA is still in full-blown Warhammer mode. I would personally love to see a campaign settled in the "East" perhaps even the much discussed "Heraclius/Rise of Islam scenario."

Thoughts/opinions?
    I would stretch the map further east including Kashkar and the other great cities of the Tarim Basin. Hell I would even include the Chinese and the Indians!

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    I might eat my words, but I don't think for a minute that you are ever going to see a "Rise of Islam" DLC for any Total War game. None who have suggested it are thinking like a commercial game company has to. Given the political and religious tensions between various Islamic based factions and the rest of the world today, it is just too controversial. You have to quit only thinking in your insular history geek world, but in the real world where real businesses have to deal with public perception and opinion.

For similar reasons, one will never see an invasion of Korea DLC for Shogun II. CA is a division of Sammy Sega, which is a a Japanese based company. Even after hundreds of years, Japan and Korea have never been on great terms--especially North Korea, but then they don't get along with anybody except maybe China and that hasn't been going so well lately.

If CA comes up with something, I'm betting it will be to appeal to a broad audience and likely something that is currently topical and popular.

Cheers

P.S. By topical, I don't mean manical terrorist attacks every other week either
    I think it might happen but they might call it "The Arab Invasion" as that is what it also was in the 7th century.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    I really did not enjoy Warhammer.
    Not me either as I'm not warhammer fan. Mostly I have played Attila and older games. Hopefully next historical TW will come soon.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    Being part of the creation of the Herakleios: War of Three Faiths mod for Attila it clearly shows there is an interest of an Rise of Islam campaign DLC
    I was hoping further in the future with Avars, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ragusa, Venice, Amalfi, Genoa, Pisa, Magyars, Varangians, Pechenegs, Cumans, Khazars, Alans, Abbasids, Saffarids, Samanids, Buyids, Hamdanids, the Komnens, Early Great Seljuks, Great Moravia, HRE, Tuscany, Papal States, Lombards, Norman Sicily, Abbysinians, Kimek Khanate, Ghurid Sultanate, Matilda of Tuscany, Alexios I Komnenos so on.

Somewhere between the 9th and 11th century AD. HRE and Italy being the Western border.

A similar Charlemagne campaign but focused in the east, the time of Alexios I Komnenos.

Edit: Bohemia, Bagratid Armenia continued by the Armenian Cilicia, Georgia, Makuria, Alodia, Kievan Rus and so on.

Maybe even stretching to the time of John Komnenos and Manuel Komnenos including the reconquest of Anatolia, the Balkans, invading Egypt with the Crusaders, capturing Sicily from the Normans and subduing Hungary, Outremer, especially Antioch from the Crusaders.

That would mean including also the Ayyubids, Zengids, Antioch, Tripoli, Edessa, Cyprus, Jerusalem, Cylician Armenia, Mosul and so on as emergent.

Volga Bulgars, Muromians, Khanty-Mansi, Mari, Mordvins Ugric people of Ural and most important of all, navigable rivers: Danube Dniester Dnieper Don Volga.

So that Varangians cand do their work, become the hegemons of Kievans, invade Anatolia and so on with their river longboats.

Oh yeah and maybe some Estonian Vikins as well: Finnic Estonians, Baltic Curonians of the Suzeran Duchy of Courland, Finno-Baltic Karelians, Oesalians of Sareemaa Island.

Visby of Gotland, Swedens, Normans, Danes, Saxons, Jutes, Angles.

Piast Dynasty of Poland, Prussians, the battle-hardened Latgalians and Livonians, the warlike Yotvingians, the early Brothers of the Sword and their Balts allies etc.

Stretching far into the Altai, Tarim Basin, Uyghur lands, India, including the north of Vladimir-Suzdal and Novgorod.

Also the Principality of Turov and Pinsk, Halych or Galicia-Volyhnia, Kiev, Varangians etc.

A map like that perhaps, maybe further stretched in the south including Egypt, Arabia, India, parts of China:

It would be a much better regional focus than including the west but most likely it will be the Norman conquests, Hastings and 1066.

Forgot about the mighty Pannonian and later Dalmatian Croats, probably Slavs led by the Sarmatian elite together with the Sorbs.

Not sure if Don was navigable too but was important for Ryazan.

Also as a additional faction maybe the Kara-Kanids and the emergent Kara-Kitai, the begining of the future Mamluk Turkic nobility replacing the old Arabian and Iranian ones together with the Cuman-Kypchaks during the succesors of the Samanids, the Ghaznavids of Balkh.

I would really love to see the Tarim Basin being added with the Karakanids of Islamic Kashgar fighting the Buddhist Kingdom of Khotan. Maybe adding the old Hindu factions of southern India as well.

The Rajput of Pakistan and Northern India as well and their tribal organisations as adversaries of the invading Turkic Mamluk dynasties.
    Last edited by Visarion; March 23, 2017 at 01:39 AM.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I am so dissapointed that we are not getting a historical title for years.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    I was hoping further in the future with Avars, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ragusa, Venice, Amalfi, Genoa, Pisa, Magyars, Varangians, Pechenegs, Cumans, Khazars, Alans, Abbasids, Saffarids, Samanids, Buyids, Hamdanids, the Komnens, Early Great Seljuks, Great Moravia, HRE, Tuscany, Papal States, Lombards, Norman Sicily, Abbysinians, Kimek Khanate, Ghurid Sultanate, Matilda of Tuscany, Alexios I Komnenos so on.

Somewhere between the 9th and 11th century AD. HRE and Italy being the Western border.

A similar Charlemagne campaign but focused in the east, the time of Alexios I Komnenos.

Edit: Bohemia, Bagratid Armenia continued by the Armenian Cilicia, Georgia, Makuria, Alodia, Kievan Rus and so on.

Maybe even stretching to the time of John Komnenos and Manuel Komnenos including the reconquest of Anatolia, the Balkans, invading Egypt with the Crusaders, capturing Sicily from the Normans and subduing Hungary, Outremer, especially Antioch from the Crusaders.

That would mean including also the Ayyubids, Zengids, Antioch, Tripoli, Edessa, Cyprus, Jerusalem, Cylician Armenia, Mosul and so on as emergent.

Volga Bulgars, Muromians, Khanty-Mansi, Mari, Mordvins Ugric people of Ural and most important of all, navigable rivers: Danube Dniester Dnieper Don Volga.

So that Varangians cand do their work, become the hegemons of Kievans, invade Anatolia and so on with their river longboats.

Oh yeah and maybe some Estonian Vikins as well: Finnic Estonians, Baltic Curonians of the Suzeran Duchy of Courland, Finno-Baltic Karelians, Oesalians of Sareemaa Island.

Visby of Gotland, Swedens, Normans, Danes, Saxons, Jutes, Angles.

Piast Dynasty of Poland, Prussians, the battle-hardened Latgalians and Livonians, the warlike Yotvingians, the early Brothers of the Sword and their Balts allies etc.

Stretching far into the Altai, Tarim Basin, Uyghur lands, India, including the north of Vladimir-Suzdal and Novgorod.

Also the Principality of Turov and Pinsk, Halych or Galicia-Volyhnia, Kiev, Varangians etc.

A map like that perhaps, maybe further stretched in the south including Egypt, Arabia, India, parts of China:

It would be a much better regional focus than including the west but most likely it will be the Norman conquests, Hastings and 1066.

Forgot about the mighty Pannonian and later Dalmatian Croats, probably Slavs led by the Sarmatian elite together with the Sorbs.

Not sure if Don was navigable too but was important for Ryazan.

Also as a additional faction maybe the Kara-Kanids and the emergent Kara-Kitai, the begining of the future Mamluk Turkic nobility replacing the old Arabian and Iranian ones together with the Cuman-Kypchaks during the succesors of the Samanids, the Ghaznavids of Balkh.

I would really love to see the Tarim Basin being added with the Karakanids of Islamic Kashgar fighting the Buddhist Kingdom of Khotan. Maybe adding the old Hindu factions of southern India as well.

The Rajput of Pakistan and Northern India as well and their tribal organisations as adversaries of the invading Turkic Mamluk dynasties.
    Because the team is from England and so on and England "must" be in every release we can have Richard the Lionheart as emergent in the Crusades alongside France, Austria and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Because the team is from England and so on and England "must" be in every release we can have Richard the Lionheart as emergent in the Crusades alongside France, Austria and so on.
    Don't forget that the game is called Total War: Attila and it is the story of Late Antiquity/Dark Ages. The Charlemagne DLC is probably as "late" as this game should be taken. Any other 'medieval' scenarios on the proverbial wish-list should be looked at as pure fantasy.

Artifex

Yeah but what I proposed is not quite medieval... mediavalish...