Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: New Attila Content in 2017

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Default Re: New Attila Content in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    Fair enough. I don't tend to have that many games I want to buy in a year, so I tend to invest a lot more in time and money in the ones I do want to play. So paying about £100 for Rome 2 + DLC, when that's given me 1200+ hours and counting of enjoyment is fine for me.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Have you played the latest versions of DEI?

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    Have you played the latest versions of DEI?
    The big overhauls like DEI (and mods in general for that matter) have just never really appealed to me. I've looked into it a few times, but it seems like it changes more I already like about unmodded Rome 2 than actually replacing stuff I don't like, or adding new things. I know many swear by it, but I just feel like it's not for me.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

...even worse, it appears that this Thrones of Britannia thing will be based on the Attila engine but with some tweaks (probably making it 64 bit) in order to improve performance.

They probably won't touch Attila itself
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    I am not sure if this is the case, but CA might have been inspired by an episode during a Gothic raid into the Balkans in AD 267. An excerpt from Dexippos' Scythica was recently discovered in which he describes how a militia from Athens used pikes to defend Greece from the barbarian horde.
    It's rather more likely that the Roman Pikemen are based on the Phalangarii of Caracalla (reigned 198-217). He was a big admirer of Alexander the Great, and equipped about 16,000 men of Legio II Parthica in imitation of a Macedonian phalanx. Of course, he did so while preparing to invade Parthia (again, following the legacy of Alexander). It is however unclear if the Phalangarii actually fought as a Macedonian phalanx, one gravestone certainly depicts a soldier of Legio II wearing Lorica Segmentata and wearing a spatha, so essentially standard equipment of the era.

Either way, it's clear that Caracalla's formation was a one-off experiment (and the term phalangarii could even have been just a nickname), so from a historical standpoint, pikemen were definitely not used in the Roman army in the late 3rd century. However, as we know, CA tends to take a fairly loose attitude to these things, much like Attila's wealth of Germanic Pikemen and Gothic Falxmen. Btw, I skimmed through the unit roster for Empire Divided, and it looks like the Germanic Falxmen will be making an appearance once again .

More on topic, I have to agree that I'm not very interested in a Viking-themed DLC (aka Saga). Vikings have been simply overdone in modern media, much like Sparta. I could have been ok with a "Dark Age Britain"-style DLC pitting the Romano-Britons against the Anglo-Saxons (if it was well done and well researched), but I simply can't get excited for this. I mean, didn't we already have this in Charlemagne?

Edit:
    And yeah, it would be much better to just release a DLC for Attila, and patch the game at the same time. Attila still suffers from fairly poor optimisation, regular crashes during hotseat campaigns, etc. So a final patch to bring the game into a truly finished state would definitely be welcome.
    Last edited by Charerg; November 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I like the idea of SAGA a lot, but Thrones of Brittania is underwhelming. It seems CA/SEGA wants to turn a quick buck from imitating popular TV shows. Hope it's not too goofy RPG or Warhammer-esque.

I really hope to see some new campaign mechanics in this game things like real population in cities and army food supply. Other than that setting really is a bit underwhelming/repetitive but if done right with some new mechanics this could turn to be a really good expansion.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

keona's Avatar Tiro

...even worse, it appears that this Thrones of Britannia thing will be based on the Attila engine but with some tweaks (probably making it 64 bit) in order to improve performance.

This is amazing. Game on Attila engine (64bit engine) and tweaks sounds really great. We don't know if they will upgrade Attila engine or not (most likely not).

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I like the idea of SAGA a lot, but Thrones of Brittania is underwhelming. It seems CA/SEGA wants to turn a quick buck from imitating popular TV shows. Hope it's not too goofy RPG or Warhammer-esque.
    I'm very excited. (I really like both shows Vikings and the Last Kingdom-actually read books which were surprisingly good because I always thought that English history was pretty shallow) Jack said that he is finally got to make the game he wanted. I believe he will make first Saga game very interesting. I actually hope that Saga will have more RPG elements and story events and more detailed maps/cities.

Overall very happy with the trailer. Can't wait for gameplay what Saga brings. However I see some people might feel about Vikings, but this game will not be about Viking only (there would be a lot of religion and new kingdom creation).

Hope they will have awesome music because both Last Kingdom and Vikings have amazing soundtracks.
    Last edited by keona; November 14, 2017 at 01:20 PM.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

What CA/Sega needs to do it's to "refresh their resources" and hire new staff. They can't be using the reputation of Rome 1 and Medieval 2 and that of Total War series for that matter to lure us with cheap tricks into buying their games. Continuous cases like this it's what turns people into piracy and although I might seem harsh, I do feel bad for developers or whoever is negatively affected by copyrights because my own business has similar issues.

Next fantasy release, Total War: Guardians of the Galaxy.

Man that’s boring as , I was hoping for something that isn’t so Anglocentric. Also we already have age of charlemagne and proto vikings in attila....there was no need for an overkill.
    Last edited by Frunk; November 15, 2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Censor bypassing.

The blatant connection to a couple of TV series is as cringey as can be, but I'm genuinely excited about the historical setting.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

They could at least add Norman Invasion to the tale, .. all in all, it's just a matter of few decades and William the Bastard is one of my preferred characters!

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

It looks a little bit cheap. I can not help but associate "Saga" with (not so) free to play games on Android such as Candy Crush Saga.

There won't be new patch or dlc for Attila indeed. Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    More on topic, I have to agree that I'm not very interested in a Viking-themed DLC (aka Saga). Vikings have been simply overdone in modern media, much like Sparta. I could have been ok with a "Dark Age Britain"-style DLC pitting the Romano-Britons against the Anglo-Saxons (if it was well done and well researched), but I simply can't get excited for this. I mean, didn't we already have this in Charlemagne?
    We had a Viking pre order DLC for Attila then Vikings in Age of Charlemagne.

I wish they choose an earlier date. I have always found the Romano-British period more interesting with the Anglo-Saxon slow infiltration and the political revival of local communities. There is something mysterious and mystical that the second migration period in Britain lacks. Out of all the games I played IB 2 : CONQVESTVS BRITANNIAE (mod for M2 Kingdoms) and Brytenwalda (mod for M&B Warband) stand out for their atmosphere.

Imo the Romano-British period also provides greater gameplay options such as the case of Foederati in a post-roman environment and all kind of chieftains.

Anyway I hope this future title will be able to translate the attractive atmosphere of Britain they way many games, mods and shows did in the past.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Edit :

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    They could at least add Norman Invasion to the tale, .. all in all, it's just a matter of few decades and William the Bastard is one of my preferred characters!
    Interesting suggestion. Previously CA said Saga titles are meant to focus on a smaller region and a short period yet they manifestly change their mind :

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]What is the date range of the game?
    [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]It starts in 878 AD, and like other Total War games it’s over once you win! There is no set end-date, though the content in the game covers up to around 1066.[/COLOR]
    Or maybe it is just like Attila : the game 200 turns represent around 50 years but CA throws what it could research for 6 centuries.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; November 14, 2017 at 02:33 PM.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Lucem Mundum View Post
    Man that’s boring as , I was hoping for something that isn’t so Anglocentric. Also we already have age of charlemagne and proto vikings in attila....there was no need for an overkill.
    I'm actually fond of English/British history. I am annoyed that with the entire world of Late Antiquity/Dark Ages at their disposal this is essentially the third "Vikings" themed DLC that CA has produced since the release of Attila. At the same time, the Romans, Bulgars, and Arabs were large empires fighting massive wars with one another, the Slavs and Avari were completely wrecking the Roman Danube frontier, and Kievan Rus was becoming a regional superpower.

Neither of those scenarios would never make an interesting DLC choice according to CA, because everything has to be about horned helmet, bearded barbarians swinging axes.
    Last edited by Frunk; November 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Continuity.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

keona's Avatar Tiro

I'm actually fond of English/British history. I am annoyed that with the entire world of Late Antiquity/Dark Ages at their disposal this is essentially the third "Vikings" themed DLC that CA has produced since the release of Attila. At the same time, the Romans, Bulgars, and Arabs were large empires fighting massive wars with one another, the Slavs and Avari were completely wrecking the Roman Danube frontier, and Kievan Rus was becoming a regional superpower.

Neither of those scenarios would never make an interesting DLC choice according to CA, because everything has to be about horned helmet, bearded barbarians swinging axes.
    I would love to play Saga where "the Slavs and Avari were completely wrecking the Roman Danube frontier, and Kievan Rus was becoming a regional superpower". But let's be honest CA will not be doing a lot of research on the subject and setting will be very niche contrary to England and Vikings. They doing what is best for them. I would rather have we developed Saga full of content than another Slav DLC for Attila that was so disappointed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post

Imo the Romano-British period also provides greater gameplay options such as the case of Foederati in a post-roman environment and all kind of chieftains.
    I've would love to play that timeframe (wrote about it many times). Way more interesting then what we have now and setting would sell really well. However, I think CA is trying to launch Saga along with the new season of Last Kingdom (free advertising for Saga game). I don't think saga is positioned as Viking game. I think they want to make it a war for independence (British version).

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

What makes British history interesting during the Dark Ages it's that in few centuries Britain, which was a Gallo-Roman provincia, with a Gallo-Roman language (now completly lost, and this is one of the greatest tragedy of human history) and a Gallo-Roman ethnicity, became firstly an Anglo-Saxon kingdom, that is a real German nation, then after few years, with the Viking invasions, a Scandinavian country, then, a French puppet kingdom under the rule of a French Feudal Lord!!! IMO, the interesting part of the tale it's that to each one of these transformations, it corresponded a real alternative for the nation, I mean that today Britain could be romance country like France, with a romance language like French and a Gallo Roman cultural tradition, or a fully German nation with a German language and a Germanic history, or a Scandinavian country fully part of the political history of those lands.

Britain was like a Transformer in the Dark Ages!

MitchXIII's Avatar Foederatus

This forum can be so depressing at times. We did not see any gameplay or did not hear anything in regards to the campaign features yet the doom preachers are already in full swing.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MitchXIII View Post
    This forum can be so depressing at times. We did not see any gameplay or did not hear anything in regards to the campaign features yet the doom preachers are already in full swing.
    Naaah, it is great time to be TW fan. Empire Divided, now Thrones of Britannia..I just need Tomb Kings DLC for Warhammer 2 and my Christmas will be complete. CA is lately quite good with doing FLC stuff accompanying DLC stuff as we can see with Rome 2 free patch. So I´m expecting little tweaks in Attila as well. FotS also allows use of cross units in multiplayer and other stuff so I bet to see quite same things here. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    What CA/Sega needs to do it's to "refresh their resources" and hire new staff. They can't be using the reputation of Rome 1 and Medieval 2 and that of Total War series for that matter to lure us with cheap tricks into buying their games. Continuous cases like this it's what turns people into piracy and although I might seem harsh, I do feel bad for developers or whoever is negatively affected by copyrights because my own business has similar issues.

Next fantasy release, Total War: Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Ummmm Warhammer says hello? All the magic, monster, heroes etc stuff? Sounds like new thing in TW...
    Last edited by Daruwind; November 14, 2017 at 05:14 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

MitchXIII's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Naaah, it is great time to be TW fan. Empire Divided, now Thrones of Britannia..I just need Tomb Kings DLC for Warhammer 2 and my Christmas will be complete. CA is lately quite good with doing FLC stuff accompanying DLC stuff as we can see with Rome 2 free patch. So I´m expecting little tweaks in Attila as well. FotS also allows use of cross units in multiplayer and other stuff so I bet to see quite same things here. :-)
    Personally I agree with you, there is so much Total War content available that it's crazy. Between Warhammer 2's Vortex and ME campaigns, Rome 2's new campaign and now Attila, I will probably need a new SSD if I want to play everything

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

And by the way. Thrones of Britannia is being developed by Jask Lusten, who is behind Fall of the Samurai and Age of Charlemagne, which are both very very very well received Total Wars DLCs.....
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by keona View Post
    I actually hope that Saga will have more RPG elements and story events and more detailed maps/cities.
    Sounds good. I am not against an RPG element or a story, as long as it isn't contrived, so it should be grounded in history. Anyway a bad example of RPG are things like the "events" in TWR2 which got very tedious very quickly even if they were mentioned in Lives of the Caesars (I don't know this).
    Last edited by Huberto; November 14, 2017 at 08:49 PM.