Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: New Attila Content in 2017

Default Re: New Attila Content in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Please rep Mr. Theramines for bringing this to my attention.

Things have been pretty quiet here over the past year with CA's efforts having moved on to Warhammer and the plethora of other stuff that they produce. However, there now seems to be a faint glimmer of hope for potential historical content for the more recent historical games (Rome 2/Attila) while they are still in the planning stages for the next historical title.

First of all - this is awesome! It is great that CA may potentially revisit this game with new content. Most importantly, this might be the last chance we have to truly flesh out Attila and tie up any loose ends that the game may have according to the fan-base. Therefore, let's begin discussions regarding what would you guys like to see in the game.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, Armenia is the proverbial elephant in the room, the last major faction that is missing from ATW.

How about cleaning up the issue with "Sarmatians" in the game by creating a unique Sarmatian religion? I have noticed that faction leaders sometimes have the trait "Likes/Dislikes Sarmatians" yet I do not know where this is truly manifested in the game, as the Alani technically have Germanic culture/Arian religion despite their new "Sarmatian" unit roster. That would be a really neat addition. While CA is at it, it may be a good idea to clean up the non-playable Iazyges/Roxolani factions by giving them a copy/paste Alani roster as opposed to the current Hunnic one. I would even go as far as suggest renaming the Roxolani as the "Arcaragantes." It would make more historical sense.

What about the idea of a whole new DLC? I imagine that it is more unlikely to happen, but it could be a really good money-maker and would most def bring the historical community back to Total War games while CA is still in full-blown Warhammer mode. I would personally love to see a campaign settled in the "East" perhaps even the much discussed "Heraclius/Rise of Islam scenario."

Thoughts/opinions?

If that is true and they are going to make new content for the Attila Total War then probably it would be most favorable if they will make Caucasian DLC including Kartli, Armenia, Lazica etc.
    Warhammer fantasy is not the thing they thought to catch attention. Before starting the new historical Total War title they need to keep historical-game-fans busy to experience themselves
    with more fresh campaigns.

I remember your point about Slav DLC, you wrote that victory condition that was based on the religious, cultural, or social achievements but not only about the conquests are future of historical Total War games, and I fully agree with you. Even though, you know my opinion that Slavic factions such as Venedians or Sclavenians and even Anteans were not so important in 4th and 5th centuries as other
    unplayable factions. Innovations such as new victory conditions for the each factions based on cultural and social achievements must be some kind of prerequisite for the future historical Total War titles.
    They also could serve as kind of warm up for the next historical title, which as I think will be Medieval III Total War. But, still until they announce Medieval III Total War one more year will pass. Hence It is better to devote all their effort to improve Attila Total War, which is the most "realistic" historical title in Total War games.
    I would suggest Caucasian DLC with new victory conditions based on survival and cultural achievements. That would make sense, it is easy to do DLC/FLC (3+1 factions that are similar with much alike culture and units), but with much different victory conditions that will make them to look unique.

Consequently, the information that you gave us from the forum is very promising, especially, for those of us who are waiting for Caucasian factions in order to fill the gap that Attila Total War has in this region. The most anticipated for me is to play with Kartli. I also wish that 395 invasion of Huns in the East (from 395 to 398) will be properly depicted in Attila Total War. It is historical game and the most important faction Huns are targeting the Ukrainian and Russian steppes instead to invade in Caucasia, Armenia, Cappadocia, Syria and Mesopotamia which they really did in 395. This was the first major appearance of the Huns in the global political arena against Eastern Roman Empire, Sassanids and their vassals/allies. So, the new Caucasian DLC with proper depiction of the Hunnic invasion in 395
    will blow new soul to the Attila Total War. At least this will make the game to look more historical from the beginning and it will work for survival victory condition for Caucasian factions. Why I speak about
    survival, because as we know from source and secondary literature Armenia was conquered by Sassanids in 428; Arran was conquered in 463, but was liberated in 482 and conquered again in 510; Kartli lost its Independence in 550s; Lazica was always under treat from Byzantines, Persians and Northern tribes but survived. Why so much, because all those kingdoms constantly under the treat of Byzantine Empire, Sassanian Persia, Huns, Alans (dozens of battles are depicted between Kingdom of Kartli and Alans in the 5th century, especially, during the rule of Vakhtang I Gorgasali) etc. Hence all this could be somehow included in the game.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

I really hope that if that's the case, it would be a mini-campaign and not another culture pack. They could add Armenia as FLC, plus units are already kinda there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    I really hope that if that's the case, it would be a mini-campaign and not another culture pack. They could add Armenia as FLC, plus units are already kinda there.
    They have only 2 or 3 Armenian units. I think whole Caucasia needs to be updated, all five Caucasian factions have only Persian units (except 2-3 units, which are Armenian) and buildings, even names and faces are Persian (or Mesopotamian, some of them have Akkadian and Sumerian names, which is very annoying) and the whole three huge provinces with 9 regions are totally nonhistoical. Let them have mini-campaigns as well as culture pack, both would be welcoming. This things must be like prerequisite for the future historical title. And these could be achieved through DLC and FLC just they need to make them more diverse. If separate team will work for it (for historical titles in general) that would be realizable.

And if one wants to start Attila Total War vanilla campaign with historical accurate geopolitical map he/she should require proper disposition of factions in Attila TW map. Huns should invade the East from the start of the campaign as this happened in 395, at least half of their hordes has to target the East from the beginning of the game. That must be like minor Hunnic invasion prior to major invasions in the late campaign from 430-440s.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

SEGA are either going to capitilise on Rome 2 because there's more people playing it (daily peak of 9,275) or concentrate on Atila to get more people playing that (daily peak of 5,774).

Crisis of the third century for Rome 2 yes please.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

I doubt we'll see another campaign pack at this point. Call me a pessimist, but I think the best we can hope for is a new patch with an Armenia FLC. It would be fairly unexpected at this point if CA were to release a new DLC so late in the game's lifespan.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

my guess:

For Rome 2 - Alexander the Great DLC

For Attila - Samaritan factions(with real historical nations who were inportant,not factions who came into Europe 300 years later or died out 300 years before the start of the campaign) themed DLC with FLC Armenia
    or Rise of Islam DLC

Or its just a PR move From CA
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; December 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by JERUSALEM View Post
    I think whole Caucasia needs to be updated
    I agree. I wonder why is there so much hatred for Cultural Packs. CA has done an amazing job with them in Attila. They now actually provide CULTURE (as opposed to simple faction unlocks like in Rome 2). The Caucasus is the last region on the grand campaign map that hasn't been fleshed out. Persian Georgians/Armenians is just as bad as Germanic Slavs or Nordic Celts. From what Mr. Jerusalem has been telling me about Caucasian Cultures over the past couple of years, I think that people would be pleasantly surprised by such a DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by JERUSALEM View Post
    (or Mesopotamian, some of them have Akkadian and Sumerian names, which is very annoying)
    Does "Sargon" ever appear?

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    For Attila - Samaritan factions(with real historical nations who were inportant,not factions who came into Europe 300 years later or died out 300 years before the start of the campaign) themed DLC
    I don't think that the other Sarmatian factions should be made playable (all Sarmatians were referring to themselves as "Alani" by AD 400) but they do need to be cleaned up in the game. I would love to see a Sarmatian religion added.

...or Rise of Islam DLC
    This would be simply amazing.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post

I don't think that the other Sarmatian factions should be made playable (all Sarmatians were referring to themselves as "Alani" by AD 400) but they do need to be cleaned up in the game. I would love to see a Sarmatian religion added.

By Samaritan I mean Bulgars,Avars,Khazars(kidarites - red huns),not Roxolani Magyars or other factions.
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; December 26, 2016 at 02:28 AM.

I just wish they would fix the bugged onager selection screen in campaigns. Maybe they can offer it as a DLC for 1.99$ for a fix? I don't want another faction, modders do that better anyway.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Marcus Aurelius or Constantine for Attila please.

I'd rather they fix or improve a few of the bigger game play issues than introduce any new factions. This would include doing something to some of the sillier family tree crap they dropped in to appease the more vocal champions of that waste of resources.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Regvlvs's Avatar Foederatus

I agree... I like Attilla in many ways (Not near as much as S2TW though). It is generally fun, while Rome II stinks like a bedpan in it's overall conception. I agree with the addition of AoC to Attilla, because what I want to see is a new campaign of a "Medieval III" sort that crosses into the Renaissance and Thirty Years War period accurately... We should get the most out of the Attila programming and then transition into a game where the historically lethal pike/shot and cannon warfare actually can be made to work. Hell, that should be their only programing focus for starts: getting mixed-weapons formations to work.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Hmm would love to see gunpowda in the Attila engine, would make great fantasy mods.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Hmm would love to see gunpowda in the Attila engine, would make great fantasy mods.
    The Total War III "Warscape" Engine was clearly designed for gunpowder warfare. This is why Rome 2 and Attila have been rather....awkward to say the least.

However, Attila is a game based on Late Antiquity/Dark Ages and I see Age of Charlemagne to have been an exception rather than the rule. It was clearly designed to give people a taste of a very early "medieval" scenario in the comfortable confines of Western Europe to satisfy the "I want Medieval 3" crowd as CA takes their merry time on whatever they have planned next as a major release. With that in mind, (despite it being a favorite historical scenario of Mr. Lusted) I cannot imagine a Renaissance/Gunpowder DLC being released for Attila Total War.

I am of the opinion that anything from Aurelian (circa AD 250) to Charlemagne (circa AD 800) is fair game regarding any potential new content for this game.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

......Rise of Islam DLC
    Yes, yes, yes!

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

They should fix and polish the 2 games properly ...oh and AA for rome 2 would be great.

Would be nice to have an Alexander campaign for Rome 2 or a Viking campaign for Attila.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dog View Post
    Yes, yes, yes!
    yes it will be very lovely

WhatAnArtist's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Would be nice to have an Alexander campaign for Rome 2 or a Viking campaign for Attila.
    They pretty much already have that in the Age of Charlemagne DLC.

By Samaritan I mean Bulgars,Avars,Khazars(kidarites - red huns),not Roxolani Magyars or other factions.
    I used to disagree with this, but now since they've added the Slavs I don't see why they shouldn't add the Bulgars, and other factions that didn't play a major role during Attila's timeframe.