Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: New Attila Content in 2017

Default Re: New Attila Content in 2017

Judging by the rate that CA is releasing information concerning the game we're probably looking at a release this spring
    I hope so.

Despite some of the pessimism floating around, I can't help but get a little excited.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Despite some of the pessimism floating around, I can't help but get a little excited.
    I have so much of my own pessismism and I still agree with this statement so much. All aboard the hype train.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Well, Thrones of Britannia is little more than a glorified DLC for Attila and probably doesn't really need its own forum. Judging by the rate that CA is releasing information concerning the game we're probably looking at a release this spring. I would not be surprised if excitement/interest in the game dies down significantly upon release, especially considering that early screenshots and footage appear somewhat underwhelming.

However, it is no longer 2017 and this thread was created to speculate new historical Total War content. The speculation was that the new content would be for Attila itself but ended up being released for Rome 2. Empire Divided is a very good campaign, perhaps the best that was released for Rome 2. However, after a few weeks of playing ED, I started a WRE campaign in Attila over the weekend and was reminded of simply how much better of a game Attila is compared to Rome 2. It feels more immersive and exciting. The campaign map feels as if it is a living breathing world that can be interacted with.

I do sincerely hope that CA will revisit this game with new content/fixes/optimization. Perhaps we should start a new thread concerning this?
    +1

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

HEmpire Divided is a very good campaign, perhaps the best that was released for Rome 2. However, after a few weeks of playing ED, I started a WRE campaign in Attila over the weekend and was reminded of simply how much better of a game Attila is compared to Rome 2. It feels more immersive and exciting. The campaign map feels as if it is a living breathing world that can be interacted with.
    Yes, indeed. I'm actually scratching my head why the CA didn't use the ATW as the base for the ED. The only answer is that they want to prop the late sales of the Rome2 title...

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Holy Moly!! Looks like we need another new forum.

TW: Three Kingdoms comming! New Era game - Fall 2018

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com/

Some hi-res screenshots from https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home

Last edited by Daruwind; January 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Yes, indeed. I'm actually scratching my head why the CA didn't use the ATW as the base for the ED. The only answer is that they want to prop the late sales of the Rome2 title...
    Not the only answer. Yes, sales figures likely played a role, because it's much easier to persuade those holding the purse strings to fund a DLC for a game that sold well (Rome 2,) as opposed to one that sold relatively badly (Attila.) But player numbers also tell a story, with Rome 2 being consistently the most played Historical and second most played Total War game for the past few years, often outnumbering Attila players two to one. (Yes, yes, some of those are because of the mods, but it still doesn't change the raw figures.) For a lot of players Rome 2 also runs better, and offers more enjoyable gameplay, as some of the very features that Attila fans enjoy puts some other players off. Finally, Empire Divided allowed CA to go back and overhaul the political system in Rome 2, something I get the impression they really wanted to do for a while.

So overall, I think the case for making Empire Divided for Rome 2 was a lot stronger than making it for Attila. I'm sure others feel differently, which I respect.

I for one am glad they made it for Rome 2, as I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    snip

That is really epic... just look at the graphic, it much better than any other CA game. The Era is probably after the fall of the Han dynasty in 220 AD.
    Last edited by Frunk; January 13, 2018 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Quote snipped for easier viewing.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Posted by GraceCA on Reddit:

The year is 190CE. China is in turmoil. The Han Dynasty crumbles before the child-emperor. He is but a figurehead; a mere puppet for the tyrant warlord Dong Zhuo. It is a brutal and oppressive regime, and as Dong Zhuo’s power grows, the empire slips further into the cauldron of anarchy. But hope yet blossoms.
    Three heroes, sworn to brotherhood in the face of tyranny, rally support for the trials ahead. Scenting opportunity, warlords from China’s great families follow suit, forming a fragile coalition in a bid to challenge Dong Zhuo’s remorseless rule. Will they triumph against the tyrant, or will personal ambition shatter their already crumbling alliance and drive them to supremacy?
    The crucible fizzes. Allegiances shift. The fires of conflict stoke opportunity. Only one thing is certain: the very future of China will be shaped by its champions. Total War: Three Kingdoms is the next major historical strategy game in the award-winning Total War series.
    All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

At first glance it looks like Three Kingdoms has been heavily influenced by Warhammer and the reddit crowd, with its emphasis on RPG, heroes/agents and single combat, which is fine as that apparently pays CA's employees' wages. I hope a lot of people gain enjoyment from it and "trickle down" to try out the older historical titles and mods here.

Hopefully, the Sagas have a more grounded style to provide contrasting TW gameplay. It would be nice if such a contrast exists and that CA is able to do each justice.

From my point of view, I now look forward to the Sagas to provide historical content more than before.
    Last edited by Theramines; January 10, 2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: tautology removed and taken away so that it isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    At first glance it looks like Three Kingdoms has been heavily influenced by Warhammer and the reddit crowd, with its emphasis on RPG, heroes/agents and single combat, which is fine as that apparently pays CA's employees' wages. I hope a lot of people gain enjoyment from it and "trickle down" to try out the older historical titles and mods here.

Hopefully, the Sagas have a more grounded style to provide contrasting TW gameplay. From my point of view it would be nice if such a contrast exists and that CA is able to do each justice.

From my point of view, I now look forward to the Sagas to provide historical content more than before.
    From historical perspective Single Combats or Champion Warfare were very important and integral part of the Warfare in Antiquity, or in the Middle Ages. Numerous sources indicate about their importance. In some battles single combats between army generals have played the decisive role, we have many examples indicated in valuable historical sources or in the mythology or poetry that reflects reality and inclination of the old folks. Hence, it has some historical bases and that is really pity that CA decided to include single combats only now in 2018 as it was important part in the Warfare for the time-frame of Rome II and TW Attila as well.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Genava's Avatar Senator

I'm still waiting for a modding-friendly game. I started to boycott the franchise since Empire and I will not fall for a fancy one like this.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

keona's Avatar Tiro

Well, Thrones of Britannia is little more than a glorified DLC for Attila and probably doesn't really need its own forum. Judging by the rate that CA is releasing information concerning the game we're probably looking at a release this spring. I would not be surprised if excitement/interest in the game dies down significantly upon release, especially considering that early screenshots and footage appear somewhat underwhelming.

However, it is no longer 2017 and this thread was created to speculate new historical Total War content. The speculation was that the new content would be for Attila itself but ended up being released for Rome 2. Empire Divided is a very good campaign, perhaps the best that was released for Rome 2. However, after a few weeks of playing ED, I started a WRE campaign in Attila over the weekend and was reminded of simply how much better of a game Attila is compared to Rome 2. It feels more immersive and exciting. The campaign map feels as if it is a living breathing world that can be interacted with.

I do sincerely hope that CA will revisit this game with new content/fixes/optimization. Perhaps we should start a new thread concerning this?
    Completely agree with you. Attila is so much superior to Rome II. Rome II with Attila mechanics and the 64-bit engine would have been amazing.

From historical perspective Single Combats or Champion Warfare were very important and integral part of the Warfare in Antiquity, or in the Middle Ages. Numerous sources indicate about their importance. In some battles single combats between army generals have played the decisive role, we have many examples indicated in valuable historical sources or in the mythology or poetry that reflects reality and inclination of the old folks. Hence, it has some historical bases and that is really pity that CA decided to include single combats only now in 2018 as it was important part in the Warfare for the time-frame of Rome II and TW Attila as well.
    You may be right. For what it's worth, I lean more towards the idea that tales of single combat were more a case of writers and poets playing to their audiences, or more specifically, their wealthy patrons. There are exceptions, of course. Arrian's Alexander springs to mind, though to my mind it's kind of amusing that Alexander's attempt to replicate epic Homeric single combat at Gaugamela fell apart when Darius turned and fled.

However, I know almost nothing of the setting for Three Kingdoms, so I'll credit you with greater insight into its warfare and combat than me, and I hope you really enjoy the setting and game.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Lets keep anything related to Three Kingdoms in its own thread or the General TW discussion.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

The downside of the Three Kingdoms announcement is that Saga Britannia seems even more futile than before. It is a little difficult to keep expectations high for it when a different upcoming title is being marketed as the "best TW ever".

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-...e-kingdoms-faq

I don't think it's futile. I suspect the purpose of the Sagas is to supply product to the old salts, while big new titles like 3Ks build on the momentum of the Warhammer trilogy. So, I have a feeling it will have more depth and a more traditional type of game (consider its setting), whereas 3Ks will be more streamlined in campaign management, but have greater emphasis on 'atmosphere', dilemma events and RPG.

The more I've thought about it in this way, the more I can look forward to both titles (as long as the combat in 3Ks isn't too outrageous).

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Sorry it was badly worded. I should have say "anecdotic" instead of "futile".

My feeling is the opposite concerning Saga v.s. "Normal" TW titles. To me Saga titles look like quick and simplified product while others titles will stay the same. Obviously it is but feelings as we lack informations on both titles.

Fortunately Thrones of Britannia will be released very soon.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

So is "Thrones of Britannia" going to be a kind of DLC for Attila? (I mean: using the engine of ATW and building upon the mechanisms developed up to AoC)?
    If yes, what's going to be the next part of the "saga"?

I have three ideas for the timespan that seems to be relevant - early Middle Ages.
    Taifas and Kingdoms - 11th century Spain, starting 1031: the Ummayad Caliphate splintered into taifas and there're Christian kingdoms in the north. The goal is to unite Spain / Al-Andalus, obviously. I think this would find a fan base in the Spanish TW community.
    The Sons of Yaroslav - 11th century Rus, starting 1054: the Kingdom of Rus is divided between his sons, while external powers (Kypchaks, Byzantium, Hungary, Poland) strive to expand into the Rus territories. The goal is to renew the kingdom of Vladymyr. I think the fan base in Russia and Ukraine is quite big.
    The Realms of Islam - 10th century ex-Caliphat lands, starting like 900: from Ummayad Al-Andalus, through Idrisids in Maghreb, Aghlabids (with Fatymid insurgency) in Ifrikyah, Ulunids in Egypt, Hammanids in Syria, Sagids in Caucaus (with Georgian and Armenians rebelling), Abbasids still in Iraq and west Arabia, Karamatid in east Arabia, Buyyds in Persia, I've forgotten who in Tabaristan, Samanids in Khorasan and Marawannahr (and perhaps even more to the east) - plenty of good factions to play with! And the usual Byzantines, Nubians, Armenians, Georgians and other folks on the sides. The problem is - it'd be a great campaign. Actually, worthy a separate game.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

So is "Thrones of Britannia" going to be a kind of DLC for Attila? (I mean: using the engine of ATW and building upon the mechanisms developed up to AoC)?

I have three ideas for the timespan that seems to be relevant - early Middle Ages.
    Taifas and Kingdoms - 11th century Spain, starting 1031: the Ummayad Caliphate splintered into taifas and there're Christian kingdoms in the north. The goal is to unite Spain / Al-Andalus, obviously. I think this would find a fan base in the Spanish TW community.
    The Sons of Yaroslav - 11th century Rus, starting 1054: the Kingdom of Rus is divided between his sons, while external powers (Kypchaks, Byzantium, Hungary, Poland) strive to expand into the Rus territories. The goal is to renew the kingdom of Vladymyr. I think the fan base in Russia and Ukraine is quite big.
    The Realms of Islam - 10th century ex-Caliphat lands, starting like 900: from Ummayad Al-Andalus, through Idrisids in Maghreb, Aghlabids (with Fatymid insurgency) in Ifrikyah, Ulunids in Egypt, Hammanids in Syria, Sagids in Caucaus (with Georgian and Armenians rebelling), Abbasids still in Iraq and west Arabia, Karamatid in east Arabia, Buyyds in Persia, I've forgotten who in Tabaristan, Samanids in Khorasan and Marawannahr (and perhaps even more to the east) - plenty of good factions to play with! And the usual Byzantines, Nubians, Armenians, Georgians and other folks on the sides. The problem is - it'd be a great campaign. Actually, worthy a separate game.
    It's a completely standalone game (so no need to won Attila to play,) but it's built on the foundations of Attila. Which I take to mean we aren't going to see a massive leap forward or radically different mechanics. Though that's not to say they won't have new mechanics. They already seem to have some in the two factions they've revealed so far.

As for what the next Saga will be, I figure they'll probably jump around time periods. So while they may decide to do another one moving into the early Middle Ages, as you suggest, they may also jump to a totally different period like another part of Japanese history (building on Shogun 2,) or some period in the Empire timeframe. We shall see.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

BoT was compared many times with Fall of the Samurai. Bot is bigger as having new campaign maps, factions etc...but it won´t be size of Napoleon/Attila in relation to Empire/Rome2. I bet, we can expect a few DLCs..similar content size to Fall of the Samurai.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)