Thread: Immersive N American theatre: new French & Indian War Units and more

Default Immersive N American theatre: new French & Indian War Units and more

Hi ETW fans,

I've made a few new units and changes to my game to make it more historical and immersive in the North American theatre (both Road to Independence and Grand Campaign). It's really easy to implement and very fun to play, but I wanted to gauge if there is any interest out there (i.e. if anyone else is, like me, passionate about this and still plays ETW).

The main changes are: 1. Generic native American factions' units removed and replaced with more detailed "Warpath Campaign" DLC units. Playable in both RTI and Grand Campaign.
    2. Elite, faction-specific units from the Elite Units of America (EUA) DLC are now also playable in the RTI Campaign (for all factions, not just US)! EUA unit recruitment no longer region-specific.
    3. Britain can now recruit new native American unit: "Mohawk War Party" and infantry unit "60th (Royal American) Regiment of Foot". France can now recruit new native American unit "Abenaki Warriors". All playable in both RTI and Grand Campaign. See screenshots below.

New unit: Mohawk War Party:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mohawk_War_Party.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	438.6 KB 
ID:	342241

New unit: Royal Americans. This regiment was trained in wilderness conditions and saw action against the French at Louisbourg, Duqesne, Quebec etc. In J. F. Cooper's "The Last of the Mohicans", Heyward is a Major of this regiment

Name:	Royal_Americans.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	342242

Name:	Abenaki_Warriors.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	422.8 KB 
ID:	342243

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other changes:
    1. Removed all generic native auxiliary units for France and Britain. (inaccurate to have large armies made up of e.g. infantry musketeers, all dressed uniformly in line infantry coats; and looking the same for France and Britain, except for the colour of their coat.)
    2. RTI, episode II: British colonials can recruit "Rogers' Rangers", bearskin grenadiers, "Mohawk War Party" and "60th Royal Americans". French can recruit "Troupes de la Marine" and "Abenaki Warriors".
    3. GC - DarthMod Campaign, early, 4-turns/yr: Iroquois Confederacy friendly towards Britain and Thirteen Colonies, and trade with the second. Less likely to attack them and e.g. conquer Pennsylvania! Huron-Wyandot friendly with the French and trade with them.

NB:
    - These changes were only tested for DarthMod Empire 8.0.1 Platinum, and probably don't work for any other mods or vanilla. I found this to be an amazing mod which changes the game completely! My respect for its creators.
    - This mod requires the Warpath Campaign and Elite units of America DLC. It will not provide these units otherwise
    - If there is interest I guess PM me, or maybe I'll make the package available here.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Immersive N American theatre: new French & Indian War Units and more

Thread moved from Empire: Total War General Discussion.

Welcome to TWC!

Default Re: Immersive N American theatre: new French & Indian War Units and more

Cheers Frunk! Cool place this

If anyone is interested, the mod is now available on ModDB:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/french-indian-war-immersion

Enjoy!

Icon14 Re: Immersive N American theatre: new French & Indian War Units and more

Quote Originally Posted by Black Serpent View Post
    Hi ETW fans,

I've made a few new units and changes to my game to make it more historical and immersive in the North American theatre (both Road to Independence and Grand Campaign). It's really easy to implement and very fun to play, but I wanted to gauge if there is any interest out there (i.e. if anyone else is, like me, passionate about this and still plays ETW).
    Wow! These look absolutely beautiful! And it just so happens I was specifically on here looking for something involving the French & Indian Wars. Thank you, so much, for your work.

I still play ETW. As a matter of fact I am still involved with all the Total War titles from Medieval II on up. I have a deep love of history (though I am no expert) and these games are a great way to interact with and experience it. It's awesome to be able to go from say, watching a documentary or movie on Rome, or reading a book on the Crusades, and then firing up a game (TW in this case) and getting immersed in what you were just learning about. These games give you the chance to experience the period on a visceral level, surrounded by the sights, sounds and atmosphere, and journey through the past reshaping things while making your own history and telling your own powerful stories. It's a blast and just because a game isn't the newest, shiniest title on the block, I won't hang it out to dry.

Just today I started making lists of all the different eras that the TW games, DLC and mods allow you to play in. I wanted a reference to go along with my reading/documentary viewing, so that I can jump right in when I get inspired. I have just scratched the surface but I can say off hand there are quite a few, which was the main reason I came here looking for mods involving the F&I War. I am cursed with finding just about everything (especially military) history fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Serpent View Post
    NB:
    - These changes were only tested for DarthMod Empire 8.0.1 Platinum, and probably don't work for any other mods or vanilla. I found this to be an amazing mod which changes the game completely! My respect for its creators.
    - This mod requires the Warpath Campaign and Elite units of America DLC. It will not provide these units otherwise
    - If there is interest I guess PM me, or maybe I'll make the package available here.
    BONUS! That works out 'cause that is how I play ETW.

Again, thank you very much for your effort. Your hard work is very appreciated.

Mord.

Thank you, Mord, for your very kind reply to my post! I was really glad to see that there is someone else out there who appreciates/is interested in the same things as me.

I hope you enjoy it, and stay tuned for potentially more

Cheers,
    Black Serpent

Looks excellent, I've been looking to get back into Empire! Will let you know if I find any bugs or get any ideas for how to expand

P.S. Would you be interested in creating a total overhaul of the game based on historically accurate units and the political situation of the time period? I've been working on something like this myself.
    Last edited by Athos187; January 16, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

Any way I could get this to work with Imperial Splendour? IMO they have the best early 18th century skins

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    Any way I could get this to work with Imperial Splendour? IMO they have the best early 18th century skins
    Hi Athos,

Thank you for your posts, and sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately I don't really have time to get involved in a massive project like a total overhaul (though I would be really keen to see it come out, based on what you say it's about!). The mod I've made is a pretty small project in the grand scheme of things... But of course feel free to use any elements of it in your own projects.

Good luck!
    Black Serpent

onmy6's Avatar Miles

This mod rocks dude, very very cool, I love it
    and yes I'm very much interested in ETW infact I think it's the best "total war" game they've made
    And I have played and have all of them

I do hope you keep building and adding to this mod, great work and cheers

Black Serpent - Thank you for doing this! In my opinion, this is one area where the CA team really failed (I guess one of many for some people) and honestly, while creating the Warpath DLC was good, restricting them to the Warpath campaign is all kinds of lame. The reduction of natives to cowering fools with ineffective bows that shoot a fraction of realistic range with a fraction of the accuracy and skill and almost no morale is insulting at best. While there were times when the natives backed off from battle, it was because they were being given empty promises. When they fought, they fought hard.

I'm building up my next 100% global dom campaign and I'm going to be doing a lot of similar stuff to replicate what could have been if Quebec stood up as an independent (and warlike) nation before they got mired down with years of no support from France and overwhelmed by fresh replenishments from Britain, springing from the Great Peace treaty of 1700/1701.

I also will strip out the mainline Euro infantry and cav units, while adding in options for foreign troops and greatly expanding the collaboration of native troops. Troupes de la Marine will also be my main "white" "infantry" unit. It will be likely that most armies will consist largely of native troops... although there are limits, so I'm looking to open up other options as well.

I'm new to modding, so I'm still building the details of it, but I'd love to use parts of your mod in my own private campaign mod. Maybe we could collab in some way once it's done? I'm playing in Vanilla (mostly), not DM. I would use the Mohawk units and Abenaki in the existing "revised WP" set that I am implementing for use in GC.

Another area that is sorely lacking is the Central and South American natives... There is not even one single native type troop in Central or South America that could be used to create a similar idea for New Spain/Mexico Rising type play.

Looking at the localisation.loc, you can see several of tribe names that could be used. Arawaka, Quapaw, etc... Someone decided to put those in, but they almost never get used... kind of sad...
    Last edited by eschelar; March 25, 2017 at 11:20 PM.

Very nice period. I've seen total overhauls starting in 1700, an american rev mod, a napoleonic mod but no french and indian war mod. So has this mod been adapted for a vanilla install or it has to work with the Darth mod?
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"