Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a possibility of a Justinianic mod? Has anyone else created one?

Default Re: Is there a possibility of a Justinianic mod? Has anyone else created one?

I'm not. Just realistic about a guy full of himself, who claims for ten years (TEN BLOODY YEARS!!!) to revolutionize the mods, total war, and to create the notitia of the sixth century (nothing but that ...) and in reality took advantage of this Forum and this "project" only to spread pretty arrogantly a questionable knowledge.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Is there a possibility of a Justinianic mod? Has anyone else created one?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien
    .. Just realistic about a guy full of himself, who claims for ten years (TEN BLOODY YEARS!!!) to revolutionize the mods, total war, and to create the notitia of the sixth century (nothing but that ...)..

“The rooks were sailing about the cathedral towers; and the towers themselves,
    overlooking many a long unaltered mile of the rich country and its pleasant streams,
    were cutting the bright morning air as if there were no such thing as change on earth.
    Yet the bells, when they sounded told me sorrowfully of change in everything;
    told me of their own age, and my pretty Dora's youth; and of the many, never old,
    who had lived and loved and died, while the reverberations of the bells
    had hummed through the rusty armour of the Black Prince hanging up within,
    and, motes upon the deep of Time, had lost themselves in air, as circles do in water.”

Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

Well, I sense that there's some sort of personal issue between two members, and since I don't know the background, I'd like to stay out of it. However, as I'm a "part time" member of AoDII, I'd like to say for the record that the amount of work put into that mod is massive. I've seen it for myself, in the developer's forum. I really hope that Pompeius Magnus one day returns in full force and releases all that hard work he and others have put into the mod. Anything else would be a tragedy.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Maybe a Justinianic Submod for one of the Mods already in existence? For VGR or IBFD ? What do you think ? And what factions should there be in said mod? Vandals, Visigoths, ERE, Avars, Slavs or Slavs inside the Avar Faction, Langobards, Franks, Sassanids, Berber, Arabs as an Pre-Islamic faction...What else ?
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    Maybe a Justinianic Submod for one of the Mods already in existence? For VGR or IBFD ? What do you think ? And what factions should there be in said mod? Vandals, Visigoths, ERE, Avars, Slavs or Slavs inside the Avar Faction, Langobards, Franks, Sassanids, Berber, Arabs as an Pre-Islamic faction...What else ?
    What do you think about two Byzzie factions: one for Belisarius (horde faction?) and the other one for Justinian, sharing few units and a lot of mercenaries?
    This would give Belisarius the chance of trying to build a kingdom (or an empire) for himself. It's the way followed by AttilaTW, I don't know what to think about it ..
    .. actually I'm so uncertain that I may even have a quarrel with myself!

I'm not. Just realistic about a guy full of himself, who claims for ten years (TEN BLOODY YEARS!!!) to revolutionize the mods, total war, and to create the notitia of the sixth century (nothing but that ...) and in reality took advantage of this Forum and this "project" only to spread pretty arrogantly a questionable knowledge.
    Well, I sense that there's some sort of personal issue between two members, and since I don't know the background, I'd like to stay out of it. However, as I'm a "part time" member of AoDII, I'd like to say for the record that the amount of work put into that mod is massive. I've seen it for myself, in the developer's forum. I really hope that Pompeius Magnus one day returns in full force and releases all that hard work he and others have put into the mod. Anything else would be a tragedy.
    I've been browsing twcenter since many, many years (2006-2007), and only recently I decided to register and post. Loving Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages, I'm a IBFD and SAI player and am waiting patiently for RR and RO for some time now, so I'm a sort of habitué of this particular subforum. And, while I do not discuss at all that a lot of work may have been made for Ages of Darkness II as Joar says, I tend to agree with Majorien.
    Let's see if I explain myself right: ultimately, I think that if you wish a particular mod, and if you have the possibility to help, the best is to propose yourself to lend a hand and help to make that vision come true, if the modders accept your help. But in the case of AoD II, despite all the work made (some of it showcased in the previews that were made), I got the feeling, for many years, that the mod leader, just like Majorien says, had the objective to use the forum for self-promotion of his work as a researcher, which is always debatable, and not in a gaming/modding forum, after all. If I recall correctly from my memories reading the AoD threads, some advances of people who wanted to help were played down (note: not turned down outright, just kind of judged as "non-necessary"). All this was indeed a shame, as the mod was a very, very promising one. I only wish that the same doesn't happen with other mods in this subforum.

Cheers, and Happy Winter Solstice Holidays to all!

Quote Originally Posted by _TotalWar_ View Post
    I've been browsing twcenter since many, many years (2006-2007), and only recently I decided to register and post. Loving Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages, I'm a IBFD and SAI player and am waiting patiently for RR and RO for some time now, so I'm a sort of habitué of this particular subforum. And, while I do not discuss at all that a lot of work may have been made for Ages of Darkness II as Joar says, I tend to agree with Majorien.
    Let's see if I explain myself right: ultimately, I think that if you wish a particular mod, and if you have the possibility to help, the best is to propose yourself to lend a hand and help to make that vision come true, if the modders accept your help. But in the case of AoD II, despite all the work made (some of it showcased in the previews that were made), I got the feeling, for many years, that the mod leader, just like Majorien says, had the objective to use the forum for self-promotion of his work as a researcher, which is always debatable, and not in a gaming/modding forum, after all. If I recall correctly from my memories reading the AoD threads, some advances of people who wanted to help were played down (note: not turned down outright, just kind of judged as "non-necessary"). All this was indeed a shame, as the mod was a very, very promising one. I only wish that the same doesn't happen with other mods in this subforum.

Cheers, and Happy Winter Solstice Holidays to all!
    thank you, you told in a (very) more gentle tone the way i precisly think

Yeah well, I did think it was odd the way he was going about it.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have to say, when my main work for RR has been done I can think of helping to mod a Justinian era mod.
    So far I have excluded it because of AOD2, but if this very promising mod is not going to be published, I can change my mind.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

And what kind of help would you require?
    I need someone to create the buildings (bulding tree) and to hep me to set up a map. Basically a mapper and a coder. I have made the starting positions but I would need extra help. I based the map on the IBFD because I want the Hepthalites in. Secondly, if you want to help on the units or anything else your help would be great!!!

The Factions in are:

1. Roman Empire (no more ERE)
    2. Britanni

3. Sassanid Persia

4. Hephthalites
    5 Avars (Slavic units will be inside definitely)
    6. Huns

7. Slavic Tribes
    8. Frankish Kingdom (Alemannic units will be in)
    9. Saxons (on Britain)
    10. Ostrogothic Kingdom
    11. Vandalic Kingdom
    12. Visigothic Kingdom
    13. Suebic Kingdom
    14. Gepids
    15. Burgundian Kingdom
    16. Gaelic Tribes
    17. Romano-Moorish Kingdom
    18. Thuringii
    19. Lombards

And now I am in between creating an Arab Conquest faction (I think it would be nice to have 3-4 campaigns in SAI style, for example 527, 533, 591 and 610 or\and 636 campaign) as an emergent faction, a Roman antifaction or any other faction? I would need your help!

Some units:

https://postimg.org/gallery/153ateobk/e76f2fae/
    Last edited by Leon Katakalon; December 23, 2016 at 08:30 PM.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Well i still hope to download AOD II one day. As for this concept/ project/ idea/ desire, opening a thread on the free mod section would be a good idea and move this conversation to there. I am neither a coder nor a mapper so alas can't contribute with experience on those topics. I do some skinning and some mixing with CAD and that's mostly it.
    Some of my work
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

However i am interested in giving this a try.

Campaign wise what would i like to see, Justinian with Belisarius and Narses of course reconquering Africa and Italy, a campaign for Maurice with the troublesome Balkans that would have him killed, and a final one with Heraklios pinned against the wall with a scant army to face the overrunning Sassanids .

About the factions i am really interested in an Conquest Arab faction, SAI already has an Arab faction and gives that feeling of what was to come later. But why a Romano-Moorish-Kingdom ? Would not a Berber faction be preferable? How about a Turkic faction ?
    Last edited by Sertorio; December 25, 2016 at 04:20 AM.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

About the factions i am really interested in an Conquest Arab faction, SAI already has an Arab faction and gives that feeling of what was to come later. But why a Romano-Moorish-Kingdom ? Would not a Berber faction be preferable? How about a Turkic faction ?
    A Syrian-Arabian kingdom would be very good as choice.

For Turks, either the Khazars and/or the Gök Turks. The Hepthalites` heyday was over in Justinian`s era.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sertorio you have very nice units! I will send you a list of the Roman units that I think we wll need to recreate them, and also many of the models I have created.

I don't like palying the role of Devil's Advocate but, as veteran forum member, as Catholic and as old gentleman of goodwill, may I ask you if don't you think guys it would be better, before starting a new mod, asking to the original (and now lost) author of the first concept of a Justinian era mod for IBFD, what he think about your idea?

You might be right but this mod was a submod on RIO's and since Rio has upgraded his version of IBFD, that submod became unfortunately obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    I have to say, when my main work for RR has been done I can think of helping to mod a Justinian era mod.
    So far I have excluded it because of AOD2, but if this very promising mod is not going to be published, I can change my mind.
    Believe me, AOD2 just doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien View Post
    Believe me, AOD2 just doesn't exist.
    "Maramaldo, tu uccidi un uomo morto." ("Maramaldo, you are killing a dead man.") ..
    .. said Francesco Ferruci just before being slaughtered by Fabrizio Maramaldo in the aftermath of the Battle of Gavinana, on the 3rd. of August 1530.

Modern synonyms: "Shooting at the low-hanging fruit", "Turkey shot", or even the imaginative Italian: "Sparare sulla Croce Rossa" ("Shooting at the Red Cross").

IMHO a good quote for this matter above is:

The report of my death was an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    IMHO a good quote for this matter above is:

As once said Antonio Gramsci, we should use "The pessimism of the intellect and the optimism of the will."
    .. the phrase is sculptural, but is useful only in case you can clearly identify and distinguish the pessimistic and the optimistic side of the situation ..

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    As once said Antonio Gramsci, we should use "The pessimism of the intellect and the optimism of the will."
    .. the phrase is sculptural, but is useful only in case you can clearly identify and distinguish the pessimistic and the optimistic side of the situation ..
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, i just cant stop laughing !! ;-)

Btw, we say in France "tirer sur l'ambulance". But clearly our german doctor was so proud of its so-called medecine (when i just wanted he passed an unknowned exam) i just don't feel ashamed at all to show how false he was, him and his "mod".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12