Thread: What's the honourable thing to do when ally attacks ally?

Default What's the honourable thing to do when ally attacks ally?

Should i join the attacker, the defender or decline to join if i want to stay well liked and not get any reputation hits?

Default Re: What's the honourable thing to do when ally attacks ally?

Either way you will be breaking a treaty so I don't think there is one or other option that gives you a bigger reputation hit. I place it purely your master plan and try to avoid allying with two people that are likely to go to war.

Personally if there is no tactical advantages to either I cancel the alliance with the aggressor but that's just me.

Go with the older ally who helped you more, I sided with the dwarves when they attacked my middenland allies since they helped me alot in thwarting goblin attacks from eight peaks and supported me. Not long later they were my vassals and supported my economy alot

This is why you shouldn't ally with anyone. Non-aggression pact should be as far as you wanna go until the Chaos invasion, when everyone allys. Or what I do is, pick 1 country to ally with for the whole game. As Empire I usually pick Dwarfs for the money, and sometimes Bretonnia.

I disagree I thin alliances helped me alot through the game weather it be through mutual defense, confederations, joint invasions, or vassalships. I like the diplomacy aspect so much in this game, it is so good and makes alot of sense.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Im not sure if this is a question about game mechanics or a legitimate question about ethics, but the latter is far more interesting so Im going to answer that one.

And the answer is: It depends. If your longstanding ally who has helped you often and who you have a great and mutual respect for decides to attack another faction, and is in the wrong, is it a betrayal to stop them? Is it more honorable to be loyal to a friend even if that friend is wrong, or is it more honorable to betray that friend's trust when they do something objectionable?

Weigh the situation and determine who is in the wrong. Who started the conflict? Why did it start? When you find out who is wrong, you fight them, because they are the foe, friend or not.

Alternatively, betray everyone and bring Chaos and ruin to the world or mortals in the name of the Infernal Powers. MUAHAHAHAH!
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

I stopped allying with AI factions because they do ridiculous things and almost always ruin my long-term strategic goals. Same thing for a defensive alliance. You are better off sticking with non-aggression pacts and trade agreements.

I stay allied with them until my sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Unless I'm playing dwarves, then I stay allied with them until THEIR sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Then that's a Grudging.
    Forward, march!