Thread: Future plans for RTW:1 Overhaul

Lupus et Matrem's Avatar Laetus

Default Future plans for RTW:1 Overhaul

Ave! I'm a new member to TWC, however i'm certainly not new to the Total War series. I've mainly focused on RTW:1 and the expansions, and played some Rome II but I found it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first. I was playing RTW:1 from the age of 11, maybe younger than that, and I consider it to be one of my favourite games of all time with a few thousand hours clocked up (only 500+ on steam though, yes I had no life when I was young lol).

In the past I tried to mod RTW:1 but I could only really mess around with the coding like export_descr_unit and the basic notepad files, the rest I didn't have the patience for and tried numerous times to re-texture units but failed every time and was almost impossible to find out why (google is useless). Then one day within the last few months I gave it another crack, and stumbled upon a thread i've since lost so I cannot thank the person who posted a reply to the thread who gave me exactly what I needed to get the skins working. Since then i've been modding like crazy.

So far in the last few months I have completely re-textured all 4 roman factions, the Seleucid Empire, the Greek Cities, the Armenians, the Gauls and mercenaries as well as their respective mounts, horses and elephants. I have been using various bits from different unit skins from existing textures from RTW:1 and the expansions BI and Alexander as I want to keep the skins looking as vanilla as possible with my own twist to make them look interesting and fresh. I've also extensively edited unit statistics in export_descr_unit, fiddled around with export_descr_buildings and descr_model_battle files, and also various aspects of the imperial campaign files.

The reason why i've only just joined TWC today is that i've reached a point where I would like to further my modding skills for the Total War series and I want to gather as much knowledge from the community to help me along with my project.

In the long run I aim to completely re-texture all factions, yes that's right, all of them. Re-balance the game to become challenging but enjoyable (I find the difficulty settings to be completely broken when set above moderate as I hate seeing highly trained urban cohorts being butchered by peasants), and give players who still play RTW:1 to this day, a fresh new experience while staying as true to the original games gameplay and aesthetics as possible. I also aim to fix some issues players have when playing as the Roman factions to give them exactly what they want, well near enough anyway ahaha. Personally one aspect I HATE about the Roman factions is the fact you end up playing a campaign and 50 turns in you're still unable to start a civil war and try to seize Rome, and when you get the option to do so you find you have 30/40/50 death stacks of Roman legions across the whole of Europe which end up becoming one very long, tiring and frankly, boring end game which quickly goes stale just to say you've finished the game.

I hope to address these issues within my mod while also maintaining 100%!!! stability with ZERO errors. And in the meantime I also aim to help kill some common misconceptions about the roman factions when starting the civil war and help provide a clear and comprehensive tutorial to all aspects of my modding project.

One thing I would like to mention, bringing us back to the issue I briefly mentioned earlier in this post, is the issue I had when I first tried to mod the unit textures. For a long time I scoured skinning tutorials for help when I first attempted to re-texture units, as detailed as they are I felt that many were lacking key parts to the modding process that are crucial to getting your skins to show up in-game. I do not fault the effort and time put into making such detailed and well thought out tutorials for the public to use however I was sorely disappointed to see how they were lacking in giving more detailed instructions within the modding process. Some modders may not speak English as their first language and while i'm impressed by their grammar and vocabulary I felt that some parts of the tutorials were either not made clear enough in the instructions or were over complicated in their explanations, which made their tutorials difficult to follow. I am not saying these tutorials are bad as i'm sure many members of TWC and guests alike found them very useful. I just feel that it can never hurt to add to the already extensive level of support provided, so i'll provide my own take on the modding process to help any aspiring modders out there begin their journey in the world of modding.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and I hope that my own work and input will be of valuable use to the community. Also I would like to hear what you guys think about my project and look forward to any help I can get as I myself am still learning, and any advice, tips and ideas will be appreciated. I will be posting my progress for the community to follow and showcase my work for those who are interested, and uploading individual mod packs as I go so the community can enjoy using my mods separately, as well as uploading the final product as a complete package for those who want the full experience. So keep your eyes open for further posts from myself and the work I upload.

Quia gloria Romae!

Default Re: Future plans for RTW:1 Overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus et Matrem View Post
    .... Personally one aspect I HATE about the Roman factions is the fact you end up playing a campaign and 50 turns in you're still unable to start a civil war and try to seize Rome, and when you get the option to do so you find you have 30/40/50 death stacks of Roman legions across the whole of Europe which end up becoming one very long, tiring and frankly, boring end game which quickly goes stale just to say you've finished the game.

This happens because you are not sufficiently aggressive. All the Roman factions can complete the Imperial Campaign (complete with civil war) in fewer than 50 turns at any difficulty level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Julius Caesar II View Post
    This happens because you are not sufficiently aggressive. All the Roman factions can complete the Imperial Campaign (complete with civil war) in fewer than 50 turns at any difficulty level.
    I agree it does require you to be aggressive and know what you're doing, i've even started the civil war using assassins early game and being outlawed by the senate. There's a number of ways to do it but with the amount of threads i've seen of other players having problems getting the civil war to start. The idea I have for my mod is to make it easier to get it started without needing to play a particular way just to reach the civil war, like if someone wants to go full turtle without committing too many troops or whatever to taking provinces. The fact the civil war is hard for some to start is one aspect i'll be addressing in my mod

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

I'm moving this thread from Rome: Total War General Discussion, to the Rome Mod WIPs, Ideas and Proposals forum.

Welcome to TWC and good luck with your project.

I agree it does require you to be aggressive and know what you're doing, i've even started the civil war using assassins early game and being outlawed by the senate. There's a number of ways to do it but with the amount of threads i've seen of other players having problems getting the civil war to start. The idea I have for my mod is to make it easier to get it started without needing to play a particular way just to reach the civil war, like if someone wants to go full turtle without committing too many troops or whatever to taking provinces. The fact the civil war is hard for some to start is one aspect i'll be addressing in my mod

I find that I can start the civil war when I have conquered 30 or 31 provinces. I don't know why other people have problems with this.

And good luck with your modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Julius Caesar II View Post
    I find that I can start the civil war when I have conquered 30 or 31 provinces. I don't know why other people have problems with this.

And good luck with your modding.
    I had the civil war start with about 23 provinces playing as the Julii but at the start I also rush captured a few provinces like Salona and Apollonia near Greece, also held part of Sicily and Northern Africa all the way to Spain, I had prepared death stacks for the Senate, and most factions were still alive and kicking which I liked, and then as soon as the civil war started Rome was attacked by 5 death tacks and 20 siege engines

And thank you all for the support

I had the civil war start with about 23 provinces playing as the Julii but at the start I also rush captured a few provinces like Salona and Apollonia near Greece, also held part of Sicily and Northern Africa all the way to Spain, I had prepared death stacks for the Senate, and most factions were still alive and kicking which I liked, and then as soon as the civil war started Rome was attacked by 5 death tacks and 20 siege engines

And thank you all for the support
    See the senate scroll... should be 3 bars... only need 1 full to tick off the civil war. (:

You're going with the same project as me... kinda... I was looking for a many online-play balance. RTW Enhanced, RTW Enhancement and RTW Addition Unit Pack. These have been a great find to look into. Only faction I feel short on is Armenia.

Additional Unit Pack *

Also, the Spartan Hoplite's from RTW Enhanced have been a great find for textures... Looks like a red edged Armoured Hoplite... A lot more intimidating. Going to look into the officers the mod talks about aswell.

Latest thing I done was campaign... gave barbarians pirate ships buffing the attack by 1 point but adding 5 more crew (vanilla = 25, change = 30) so it's a slightly weaker brieme... Then I made the longboats about 1.25* more expensive on all costs (one rounded to 187.5 but simply made it 180)... after this I buffed it's stats to 9 attack, 9 damage and made it crew 45 people. So it's 1 stat off attack and defense of a Quinquireme which boats 50 people. Can always adjust but felt like it can get interesting to see barbarians potentially campaign the desert and africa.

After applying those packs; (leaving out some units for factions with vast units - mostly Rome, Cathage, Briton, Scythia and Parthia

Pontus
    Armenia
    Numidia
    Spain

Are still somewhat short.

Romans (although Roman Senate could still use Samnite warriors w/ purple skins)
    Cathage
    Britons
    Scythia
    Pathia

Are well and truly packed - adding more units would basically make an imbalance. I do wanna keep weaknesses for every faction if it's possible though.