Thread: [TECH] New Computer Upgrade Requirements

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default [TECH] New Computer Upgrade Requirements

Hi guys,

I've decided it's about time to once again further upgrade my computer. My only problem is I'm having trouble finding the ideal tower case as my own needs replacing because the Be Quiet fan I have is too large to keep the tower closed. So I need something with some decent width to it and with room to fit a GTX 1080 in which I plan on adding in the near future. If I do add that I'd imagine I'd need to up my power supply too.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, please let me know.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
    Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz
    CPU Fan: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
    RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Ripjaws-X
    Graphic Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr V
    SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB SATA
    Power Supply: 650W EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Thanks
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Default Re: [TECH] New Computer Upgrade Requirements

What size is that fan? Also, what brand do you usually buy? MSI GPUs are usually pretty short, but Gigabyte G1 cards can be obscenely long.

It's a be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler. A video of it can be seen on here, as you'll see it's rather large for a cooler, can't deny it does a good job mind you.

My major gripe with it is how it blocks off two ram slots, I think it's a pretty poor design concept so I may look to replace it if anything.

https://youtu.be/O3rNKdpeyCI?t=133
    Last edited by Lord Dakier; December 04, 2016 at 03:40 PM.

Oh yeah Im pretty familiar with that cooler. I gave it away to my friend before replacing it with a Hyper 212 EVO. Worked really well but I just couldnt stand the obnoxious size.

What is your budget? And what else are you looking for in a case other than size? There are too many really good cases to choose from at the moment. Enthoo Luxe, Be Quiet 800, the new Corsair cases, In Win, etc.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I imagine I'll have to replace the fan regardless so as long as I've got room for a GTX 1080 and possibly go down the water cooling route. I've never installed one before so if you have any suggestions on easy kits to use then I'm all ears.

I know this isn't direct help but if you've never seen it before, this site http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/J6xFf7...t-gaming-build, is quite good for pricing exactly the type of system your looking for and also shows you the best prices from multiple sources for the exact piece of hardware your looking for as well as what hardware is compatible. They also have good articles and you can read up on people who have assembled similar builds to yours, as well as others

I was almost going to go the build your own route but I got an asus with a ssd and a NVidia gtx 1080 at a good price so I went with that. I'm definitely going to try and build myself a starter rig in a few years for some fun just so I can get practice in before I need a full replacement of my current setup. I'm thinking about 4-5 years until that time though, good luck with your rig dude