Thread: Using different (already made) units as General Units

Default Using different (already made) units as General Units

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to change the general unit in this game I.E: Change the Hattori general to a unit of 'Hanzo's Shadow's'; if this is possible can you change the general unit on the campaign map too? For marriage generals as well as family generals. Also would it be possible to have Rome II's system in Shogun II, where the player can select which unit he wants the general to be a part of when he is recruited/ comes of age.

How would you approach something like this, I've created a unit for Rome: Total War. But I have no experience with the Warscape engine.

-Thanks

-Have A Nice Day

-V

Lugie's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Using different (already made) units as General Units

I guess you would have to do it through a technology, like in FOTS when you get a certain modernization level all the general units change to use revolvers. As for choosing what general unit you would want to recruit, like Rome II, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugie View Post
    I guess you would have to do it through a technology, like in FOTS when you get a certain modernization level all the general units change to use revolvers. As for choosing what general unit you would want to recruit, like Rome II, I'm not sure.
    Hey lugie, do you have an idea where I can find the change effect. I know where the effect is in db (effects, effect_bundles and effect_bundles to effect junctions), but normally it points to another db file, where the units do the switch.

Yeah, I suppose so. Oh well.

-Thanks

-Have a Nice Day

-V

-
    G. Ward

Lugie's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Hey lugie, do you have an idea where I can find the change effect. I know where the effect is in db (effects, effect_bundles and effect_bundles to effect junctions), but normally it points to another db file, where the units do the switch.
    I don't think its in the DB. I think the effect activates something in the scripting, as changing a unit to another unit during the campaign is, as far as I know, impossible with simple DB changes, and requires scripting.

I don't think its in the DB. I think the effect activates something in the scripting, as changing a unit to another unit during the campaign is, as far as I know, impossible with simple DB changes, and requires scripting.
    Do you know which script file?

Lugie's Avatar Civis

Do you know which script file?
    The campaign script. Alot of large mods modify it to replace old systems with new ones, create events, etc.

I am not really good in scripting, jus a bit. But the file or script is located in scripting.lua (in campaigns)?

Lugie's Avatar Civis

I am not really good in scripting, jus a bit. But the file or script is located in scripting.lua (in campaigns)?
    That is indeed right. If you want the directory in the pack files, its (Data.pack/campaigns/[your chosen campaign]/scripting.lua.

That is indeed right. If you want the directory in the pack files, its (Data.pack/campaigns/[your chosen campaign]/scripting.lua.
    Weird, I can't find the line in the scripting.lua where the units do the changes.
    Do you know which line of code?

Making a unit become a general unit is surprisingly simple: Just make the unit_category in the unit tables of a particular unit into "general", then that unit'll be general, both in custom battle and campaign.

Its hilarious testing it on the campaign, by making Yari Ashigaru a general unit: Every Yari Ashigaru recruited=new general added to the clan.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Making a unit become a general unit is surprisingly simple: Just make the unit_category in the unit tables of a particular unit into "general", then that unit'll be general, both in custom battle and campaign.

Its hilarious testing it on the campaign, by making Yari Ashigaru a general unit: Every Yari Ashigaru recruited=new general added to the clan.
    Thanks for the info, but I was looking for the code where the effect changes the generals bodyguard (clan level => modernization level).