Thread: Ultimate General: Civil War in Early Access on Steam

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Ultimate General: Civil War in Early Access on Steam

Just noticed this game, the follow up to Gettysburg, is in early access on Steam. Anyone played this yet? Is it a step forward from UG:G?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ultim...ral-civil-war/
    Last edited by Huberto; November 17, 2016 at 08:49 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Ultimate General: Civil War in Early Access on Steam

I haven't played it, but it look when I saw Izolate streaming this game. I wonder, Is this another bigger project by Darth_Vader?

edit: Yes, it is Darth_Vader's game.

Got it. Single player campaign only. Lots of fun. IMHO more fun than total war these days.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

I got it over the weekend and the game play is loads of fun. Terrain, morale, supplies, weapons, officers, generals etc. are all worth a damn now.

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have this game, and it's simply stunning.

It's still early access and could use a little tweaking here and there, but the game is already very polished and more importantly. It's a damm good wargame.

yeah, must say i didnt played better tactical strategy for quite a long time! well done DV!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Compared to the first release (just the one how battle), how long is the campaign (or equivalent) in the full game?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

there are 10 (or so) major battles with multiple phases within them, and about 10-15 minor battles you can fight in Civil War right now. plus, you can play for Union or Confederates, which are quite different campaigns with some unique battles.

Anyway i spent about 10hours playing Gettysburg, but i already scored 30+ hours with Civil war and still playing where game really shines is the organisational stuff, creating new divisions, brigades, assigning men, weapons.. deciding which guns arty will use, what weapons cavalry will have, which officers will lead which units, what kind of traits you want to have with units etc... summed together,very rich gaming experience!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Oh cool, that sounds pretty good. I'll wait and see if it comes up on sale or something and give it a go.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

I picked it up yesterday and decided to see how it goes.

It seems to have fixed most annoyances I had with Ultimate General : Gettysburg but already in the 'tutorial' mission (flipped a coint between Confederate or Union, Confederate won) I ran into rather interesting issue. When holding the fort against the Union counterattack, I most of my infantry routed in initial shots exchanged as apparently having troops visually kinda on the walls behind cover doesn't count as being behind cover, and it turns out to actually get them behind cover as intended you have to click on a very specific magic pixels you have to hunt like in 90s adventure games and hope the unit actually goes there. Needless to say the attack that followed secured the fort and basically that career was over before it even started.

Now really, my own poor leadership and not knowing the game's nuances yet aside I do wonder why placing troops in fort in a way that doesn't leave them 100% open to any kind of fire is worse than 90s adventure game pixel hunting.

its one of few bugs in game.. yet placing them on the wall is not that hard, you dont need to pick pixels or anything, just click on a white shield near the wall and they will go there automatically... btw, Union campaign is easier for the start..

Clicking the white shield seemed 'random' the 2nd time I tried it but early access and all. As they say maybe 3rd time's the charm.

To be fair, issues with walls aside I've enjoyed it otherwise and if the Confederate campaign is actually difficult I'm all in.

I just about managed to get a victory with the Confederates in the battle of Shilo. The first time my men got tired so quickly, which was strange, and it went tits up. The second time my men had better stamina all through, except for when they had walk up a steep slope of course. I also managed to keep my brigades closer to each other and force the federal troops towards Pittsburgh Landing. A good win with about 7000 losses for the CSA and 19000 for the USA. Although this game doesn't allow the player to occupy any land it's fun and worth a buy.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I picked it up last week. It's a lot of fun although there's room for improvement.

The Good - Unit customization. I love equipping my units and naming them. It's hard to not care for your units.

There are severe consequences to blobbing units together. Players have to consider position and fields of fire.

Sound, graphics, and atmosphere are all spot on.

Cover is a necessity. There's nothing quite so satisfying as ambushing the enemy while they're crossing a river and seeing the bodies pile up.

The Bad

It's impossible to use stone walls and fences as cover except in some designated spots.

Mounted cavalry are almost useless. You'd think they could run down an unsupported skirmish line, but they suffer heavily in melee.

Skirmishers and dismounted cavalry are limited in their usefulness because they always scatter.

Infantry should be able to shoot THROUGH skirmishers since they're so spread out. It's annoying to have a brigade volley blocked because a hundred skirmishers are in the field of fire.

There should be speculative scenarios in case you win a battle that was a loss in real life. I won Fredericksburg as the Union while inflicting 3 to 1 losses. I could not follow up the victory by advancing on Richmond. Had the Union won at Fredericksburg in real life, the war probably would have ended by spring 1863.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

From my Confederate persepctive, Cavalry is pretty useful .. but I haven't yet tested the Union. Of coure it's not Napoleonic Heavy Cavalry, you can't charge formed bodies of infantry, but as light cavalry, or better as mounted infantry, they are effective, especially to counter other cavalry and to harass skirmishers.

Hey all this is just s friendly discussion I'm having to see your thoughts on how much this whole COVID-19 situation could have on the reenacting community in terms of events. I have Ultimate General: Civil War playing in the background! Let me know what you think in the comments!

Check out my YouTube channel below for more Total War and RTS content!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpN...D0sUA4XWG9U_pw

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

It sounds like Covid-19 has a big impact on the re-enactment community. I hope that the effect will be temporary and that new re-enacters will return after the crisis recedes.

Meanwhile, if anyone who plays Game-Labs games such as Ultimate General: Civil War is interested in writing a review, please check out this post.