Thread: Alan recruitment/tech bug?

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

Default Alan recruitment/tech bug?

Hi, I honestly don't know if EP is the issue here, however I noticed some weird stuff going on for the Alans:
    1st some technologies research are a bit buggy.
    One of them "Combat at distance" (located at the 3rd chart in military branch) is a replace for the Alanni Mounted Sword Riders (Tier 2), and the replace is Cav Riders which is Tier 1, and I'm like what gives?

Then there're some other issues, like I cannot recruit Elite Sarmatian Cataphracts once the technology for the replace of the base Sarmatian Cataphracts is researched (Heavy cav tactics, 3rd chart in military branch). Literally there's no building anymore in which that unit can be recruited. It was one of the farms, but when you hover the mouse over the building chain nor Elite nor regular Sarmatian Cataphracts can be recruited. The farms still provide garrisons for S.Cataphracts, but no recruitment is available.

As I've said at the beginning I'm not 100% sure it's EP, the other mods I can think of that could be causing issues maybe are Tusk (sub)mod dynamic garrisons, and only that one because I'm not using the base mod for obvious reasons. And the other one is an extra unit mod, Champloo's units mod.

Default Re: Alan recruitment/tech bug?

No, I haven't changed this at all. I think this is actually something CA did when they redid the Alan roster. Frankly, that roster overhaul was very poorly done on their part. I could perhaps fix some of the techs here, if you give me a list of what should be changed. I'd like to make some roster changes too, but I won't right now for the same reason I haven't changed any other rosters (compatibility with other mods).

Also, some of the Alan units can only be recruited when you're a horde. I think that's a design decision.

I was suspecting that. Jesus Christ CA... how come they couldn't get that right... is like they didn't even tested it. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
    And yes, I confirm that I play as a settled faction because I despise the horde mechanic with a passion in this game.

The roster in general I think it's ok, but mainly because the original roster was basically a copy-paste of germanic units already in the game. Now at least it provides some interesting unorthodox gameplay since they lack foot archers and spear units, and compensate having lots of horse units and weirdo infantry units like Sarmatian Band that are really trashy, but act as excellent cheap meat shields.

As of the issues I've seen, I can't really say if they have any other problems with recruitment besides those techs I mentioned: Combat at Distance (military, 3rd chart) and Heavy Cavalry Tactics (military 3rd chart).
    However I did also notice how the farms don't really provide many horse units for recruitment. The "Goat Barns" sub chain does not provide any unit whatsoever, which is weird since all barbaric factions have access to new units with every building in the farms.

Another thing that is a bit off-topic and is a vanilla issue, is how late in game we get our general unit upgraded. I believe in most cases for pretty much all factions is one of the latest technologies the one that provides a replace for the general unit.
    One example are the Ostrogoths, you have to stick with Germanic Nobles until you get the first replace almost at the end of the research tree, even worse, right next to it there's the other replace. So, stick with the same unit for 150+ turns and then get a replace, followed by another 5 turns replace.
    Is like they really haven't thought this through.

Okay, maybe I can look into changing a few of those things. Some I won't be - you'd be better off looking for a good Alan roster overhaul mod to use alongside EP for some of this stuff, as I don't want to make too many changes to units right now.

It's fine, the whole thread is basically off-topic since none of these issues have anything to do with EP. At least I know now that it's a vanilla issue, I just wasn't sure.