Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: British woman arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges after reporting gang rape in Dubai as attackers go free

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: British woman arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges after reporting gang rape in Dubai as attackers go free

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    I strongly disagree there. They are called human rights for a reason. Not Dutch rights or Korean rights. People do not rescind their human rights by visiting a foreign country. Respecting a country's traditions and customs is very different from becoming inhuman. In what universe is it proper cultural deference to allow yourself to be raped and imprisoned?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    Don't like it? Move to China.

Default Re: British woman arrested on 'extra-marital sex' charges after reporting gang rape in Dubai as attackers go free

?

An organisation that helps people who are victims of injustice in the United Emirates has urged Irish and British women who become victims of sex crimes in the country NOT to report them.
    After a British woman was arrested and charged with having extra-marital sex after she reported she was gang raped to authorities, Detained in Dubai are urging tourists in UAE not to report rape crimes because of the ‘manipulation when it comes to criminal accusations’ and the ‘racist’ preconceptions held against Western tourists.
    ‘We have been involved with several cases in the past where this has happened, and we work with the lawyers and families and have campaigned to change attitudes in the police and judiciary,’ Radha Stirling, founder of the organization, told The Independent.
    ‘Recent cases… show that it is still not safe for victims to report these crimes to the police without the risk of suffering a double punishment.’

‘We get people contacting us asking whether they should report a crime and – whether it be a rape or anything else – I often say no. Absolutely not.’

To add to the injustice, she adds that if a woman has drunk alcohol, it is seen that she has ‘consented to it.’
    The British woman who was arrested says she was attacked and raped by two men from Birmingham and now she may face trial for the charges – for which possible punishments include imprisonment, deportation, flogging and even stoning to death.
    We are better off not going over there. Gays being hanged and women being raped and they cant even go to the cops in case they get jailed themselves. Wait till the World Cup in Qatar. Playing in crazy heat and ISIS next door. But don't worry in 50 years Germany and Sweden will be Muslim countries and we will have Sharia law to entertain us. Trump will save America. The rest of us are doomed.

Harith's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by EU Empire is fubar View Post
    But don't worry in 50 years Germany and Sweden will be Muslim countries and we will have Sharia law to entertain us.
    Apart from the fact that such prediction is completely arbitrary and has no bases whatsoever, do you know how many countries have sharia law?

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Harith View Post
    do you know how many countries have sharia law?
    Too many.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

I find it amusing she was not attacked by dubaiies but british ...

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    In my opinion, this is exactly the type of situation in which the threat of a disproportionate response is called for, not just as a solution to the immediate situation but as a means of deterrence. The UAE has something to lose.
    I agree, exemplary justice is called for.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    And as a member of the UNHRC, I believe the UAE has no legitimate moral option but to condemn themselves.
    What if they reject their condemnation of themselves? I guess they will have no recourse but to escalate the matter and invade themselves.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234