Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2r released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2d released!

Quote Originally Posted by Keltoi~ View Post
    My relations seem to get stuck at reasonable. I can't improve them by giving gold gifts (does nothing). I can worsen them by attacking but it seems to go back up to reasonable afterwards. I cannot get an alliance with anyone. Any ideas?
    Single gifts are less effective than regular tributes (even of small amounts).

Was there something changed in 2.2d that made it harder to get elected a consul or praetor? I've had to sit around for about 20 turns now since no one becomes eligible. Never had anything like this happen in 2.2b...

FYI can confirm: Once elected to office, a Roman general never has his InOffice trait cleared properly thanks to changes in the Anti-Trait system. My simple test earlier only verified they could get elected the first time. Once they make it to their first office, they never clear out of hidden tracking trait properly and thus remain ineligible for any other offices. Workaround (new campaign or INSANE microing required) detailed here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15177622

I find some bug in archer animation: TOXOTAI(greeks archers) has wrong animation, the direction of the arrows, which they put on bow is not correct, the forward part of arrow looking behind of the archer.

Can I raise again the question of the frequency with which "reinforcements delayed" is cropping up?
    It is now up to about 70 per cent the time. Even when the reinforcing army is sallying from a besieged city and in game terms already in contact with the enemy.
    If it's a bug it's an annoying bug. If it's an idea, it's an annoying idea.
    No-one would play chess against a programme that randomly decides when a rook is going to behave like a Queen.
    It's not gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by parthian8 View Post
    Can I raise again the question of the frequency with which "reinforcements delayed" is cropping up?
    It is now up to about 70 per cent the time. Even when the reinforcing army is sallying from a besieged city and in game terms already in contact with the enemy.
    If it's a bug it's an annoying bug. If it's an idea, it's an annoying idea.
    No-one would play chess against a programme that randomly decides when a rook is going to behave like a Queen.
    It's not gameplay.
    It's a M2TW setting meant to improve performance by limiting the number of soldiers appearing on the map at once. To change it, go to your preference file (probably the one in your eb2 folder, but you might check the main one in your m2tw folder as well). There should be a line that says "unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 0". Change it to "unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1". If it's not there, add the line to I believe the [game] section. Hope this helps.

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    FYI can confirm: Once elected to office, a Roman general never has his InOffice trait cleared properly thanks to changes in the Anti-Trait system. My simple test earlier only verified they could get elected the first time. Once they make it to their first office, they never clear out of hidden tracking trait properly and thus remain ineligible for any other offices. Workaround (new campaign or INSANE microing required) detailed here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15177622
    Thank you. I thought there was something wrong. I just couldn't figure out what it was.
    Last edited by Hummer; November 19, 2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Single gifts are less effective than regular tributes (even of small amounts).
    Yeah regular tribute seems to work, but my relations literally always revert to reasonable in a few turns whether I improve or worsen them. Does this sound like a bug or is it something to do with having a massive empire?

Biarchus

This is the best CAI and diplomacy I have seen on any TW title. Peace treaty's can be forged. Sometimes offering peace is generous, very generous or balanced. Only one situation I had was very demanding for roughly 20 turns. Then it turned to very generous. Perhaps because I defeated a full stack of theirs. I am very impressed. AI to AI also. You regularly see war declared and peace made all the time. This is so much better than the perpetual war TW used to be. Force diplomacy isn't needed....

Quote Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
    This is the best CAI and diplomacy I have seen on any TW title. Peace treaty's can be forged. Sometimes offering peace is generous, very generous or balanced. Only one situation I had was very demanding for roughly 20 turns. Then it turned to very generous. Perhaps because I defeated a full stack of theirs. I am very impressed. AI to AI also. You regularly see war declared and peace made all the time. This is so much better than the perpetual war TW used to be. Force diplomacy isn't needed....
    How are you finding the 'relations' aspect of diplomacy? Since getting 2.2d mien always get stuck at reasonable and revert to reasonable the next turn if i m anage to change them... I also get messages saying 'your relations have changed to reasonable' regularly even though it was already at reasonable.

Johnny B,

That sounds like the likely culprit. Thank you very much for responding.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

I should emphasize that relations have no real effect on game play or the CAI right now aside from some minor decisions.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I should emphasize that relations have no real effect on game play or the CAI right now aside from some minor decisions.

Ok that's good to know, is it normal for relations to stay at/revert to 'reasonable' out of interest though?

Some feedback on my 2.2d Nabatu campaign h/h (85 turns on)

The starting game is quite hard. Economy sucks (a lot) and there are lots of fierce rebels around. Just to conquer Dedan and avoid devastation I had to fight like 4 large battles if I remember correctly. Najran is quite far away south and too close to Sabean sphere of influence and Bostra is in the middle eastern "Eye of the Storm" so my starting move was to anex only Dedan and establish a Tribute-paying territory and using free upkeep slots to save some money and build up a bit. While I was extremely poor and building infraestruture didn't seemed to make much of a income difference (I suspect Strategic buildings give more expenditure than profit so I first build them then razed it) I liked that I could hold on for a bit without the need of further blitzing. Btw, Trading settlements add a small trade bonus but no trade fleet.

The ptolomies asked me for a alliance which I gladly accepted.

After saving a bit I was able to terrorize the Sabeans with a small army of 1-3 Fms, 1 lancer, 1 beduin cavalry and 4-5 Horse archers. I realy like the way HAs are performing! Micromanaging them give extremely good results (as it should be) without them feeling OP.

Currently, at turn 85 the AS invaded me with a large army, got their asses handed to them and quicly asked for a ceasefire.
    This battle confirmed my suspicions (mostly from custom battles) that even with new animations swordman still aren't very good at killing, even agaisnt low quality spearman.

My tactics were to deploy a long line of spearman, swordsman and a few archers in top of a hill, rush my cavalry and most of archers and slingers to the enemies flanks and to their back, and since the only cav they had were the bodyguards, trap and kill the general as soon as possible while avoiding melee with the enemy infantry. The flanking missile units did cause the enemy units to spread, separating the weak pandatapoi from the slow phalangitai and I finished them off by surrounding each isolated units with my much more mobile troops. But the performance of the Reglaya Mehrebay was again very uninpressive an I think both the enemy's elite peltastai units underperformed against my lightly armed troops as well.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I will also report to the faction progression threat.

Wolf

I think that battle only demonstrates how difficult it is to teach the AI generalship, rather than weaknesses in individual units.
    A human player with six or so phalanx units could have held a line, soaked up that not-very-overwhelming arsenal of missiles and cut off the ring and walked over you, and you'd have nothing there to even dent it.
    If you'd had that AI army, you'd have thought it was a no contest.

For whatever reason my log isn't saving again but I get a CTD when right clicking on certain unit cards twice. One that happened while playing as Pontus is the Lydian Lancers.

Played a KH campaign to turn 202:
    Very stable
    Romans really struggling - they would not even have conquered southern Italy without my help.
    Much more rational AI on and off the battlefield.
    Did not notice the "loose" formations on set up referred to - are they only for Romans?
    Spartan reform pop up has a black square inside the picture frame - is this a bug or just not yet implemented? (The Spartan state can't afford leather greaves or a linothorax for the Lakonikoi Hoplitai - times must indeed be hard! ).
    Except by me - no factions have yet been eliminated - which is good.
    Regards
    P.

Also in terms of how the AI acts, 50 turns in (I since updated the post to 62 but the map is at 56 or so.):

Rome - Has done absolutely nothing. Currently, they've got two large armies pushing into Northern Italy... So I guess they've given up on the South.
    Epeiros - Still controls Taras and the bulk of their army is there. They also have slowly taken over provinces on the Adriatic coast.
    Makedonia - Controls the East Balkans. Their expansion isn't fast but they've at least made some progressions. On turn 62 they launched a small invasion against me at Western Anatolia.
    Greek Cities: Hasn't made big progressions, they've held their mainland provinces against Makedonia. They have however expanded into Cyrenaica as you see because they couldn't overpower their neighbors. Recently they have tried to invade a province I took from the Ptolemaic Empire in West Anatolia. So far there've been three sieges, first one was of about 1000 men. I beat them back but they've been returning with small armies every few turns to be annoying by sieging it.
    Makedonia has joined in that too.
    Pergamon: They did try to expand quite a bit. I'm playing Pontus though so... They declared war on me twice. In each war I won by beating their invasion force, taking a city, and making them pay a nice tribute in ceasefires. I haven't expanded against them aggressively. When I was moving my diplomat I seen they expanded into Thrace because they had nowhere to expand in Anatolia which is nice.
    Ptolemaic Empire - They've made some gains against the Seleucids, I believe this is because of the Seleucid's failed invasion against me (They lost about 5000 men). Not sure if that's how their African provinces are originally. They did declare war on me also but they didn't bring a major invasion force. They're currently about to lose Western Anatolia to me. I think without player intervention they'd expand decently. They recently bribed a province I recently took from the Seleucids, Ipsos.
    Seleucids: Not sure how they did against Ptolemaic armies really. They declared war on me but were repelled, since then they've lost their Anatolian provinces to me. They seemed to have lost provinces to the Ptolemai. In the east they seem stable. Not sure if they took land from Pahlava or not. They're at peace though. They've remain allied to Hayastan and Baktria.
    Hayastan - They've been pretty dormant. They did declare war on me before but I repelled their invasion and made them pay tribute rather than wiping them out. They tried before to take some of the Eleuthoroi cities in the north but I think the attacks failed. I don't think they've expanded enough, they've had plenty of time to either attack the Seleucids or take the two remaining Eleuthoroi provinces.
    Bosphorus - Has been dormant basically since taking their neighboring provinces.
    Sauromatae - Has expanded nicely on the steppes.
    Lusotanne - They're expanding okay, I guess?
    Arevaci - Haven't done anything which is unlike my campaign in 2.2b. In that version they took East Hispania, fought a losing war with Lusotanne, and invaded my provinces in Hispania from the Punic War as Rome. They performed nicely but on here... Complete opposite.
    Carthage - Has expanded more in Africa and hasn't focused on Hispania. In 2.2b as Rome they had taken two Hispanic provinces.
    Numidia - Relatively dormant.
    Boii - Expanding aggressively it seems. I can see them becoming a blob in the future.
    Swezboz - Hasn't really expanded yet. Dormant.
    Lugonnes - Hasn't really expanded either, dormant.
    Baktria - Are at war with Saka, they've expanded a bit as seen.
    Saka - ^
    Pahlava - Pretty sure they lost a city to the Seleucids. If not then they haven't expanded. They seem trapped to me.
    Arveni - Has been relatively dorman thus far.
    Aediu - Same as above.
    Pritanoi - Dormant. From the looks of it they tried to expand but got beat by the rebels. They should a town when they rebuild their forces in time though cause one of them looks to have lost almost its whole garrison.
    Getai - Dormant pretty much now.
    Nabatu - Two provinces, sandwiched between Saba & Ptolemai. They seem screwed to me. I am hoping they'll try to expand as I beat the Ptolemai out of Anatolia.
    Saba - Expanding in Arabia. Weird how they didn't take the densist area first.
    Taka-whatever: Seems dormant in India.

I think rather than outright invading it'd be nice if the AI would try to extract tributes sometimes. If the AI was this aggressive toward each other as they were toward the player this map would look different.
    Only reason I expanded out of central/east Anatolia was because of them ;-;.

AI Rome does indeed seem to prioritise peace with Epirus and war in the north, which is as z3n predicted it would play out. That "what if" Epirote empire continues to have a charmed life being in the healthy position of having no natural predators, with large and juicy cities like Capua and Thermon waiting to be gobbled up while its opponents are distracted elsewhere.

Where to get program to skin units and where is the begginers guide?