Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Kingdom of Castile

Tier 3 Preview

Knights

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Swordsmen

Pikemen

Military Orders Officer (based on Frey Don Alvaro de Luna)

Awesome !

Tier 3 El Rey de Castile in all his glory

Well damn. That's good looking. I would ask someone if they can resize that crown for you. It looks awkward when it clips into the helmet.

I kinda like how it looks like it's part of the helmet. Either way is fine with me.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Those golden boys look good, Fawn!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Well damn. That's good looking. I would ask someone if they can make the historical armour of Philip I of Castile.
    Fixed the spelling error.

http://imgur.com/a/2viZZ

I also happen agree with 'your choice'.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Magnificent guy!

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

Fantastic. But do not make golden knights. It's have nothing to do with the history, rather with movies and fentasy which you often falter. Enough expensive it was to have the full armor not to mention if it is from gold...absurd
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by finix View Post
    Fantastic. But do not make golden knights. It's have nothing to do with the history, rather with movies and fentasy which you often falter. Enough expensive it was to have the full armor not to mention if it is from gold...absurd
    It absolutely is accurate, sir.

These are Castilian examples of gilded armor from the Tier 3 time period where the gilding has faded over time, but was probably as golden as the above armor to begin with:

Edit: I would like to clarify that only the King and the officer for the military orders will have golden armor like this, because you're right in that it would have been tremendously expensive. However, those two models are based entirely on historic examples, as is noted above (see the post about Don Alvaro de Luna).
    Last edited by The_Fawn_Rescuer; November 22, 2016 at 12:46 PM.

miguelmm's Avatar Civis

Amazing roster, as a castilian-borned I must say I love it. Anyway, about the late pikemen soldier, the cross of Burgundy was not introduced in the Spanish symbology until the beggining of the XVIth century, it is believed to have ocurred in 1506 (I tell you this cause I don't know if the time period of the mod goes until those years).

And as for the late king model, the armor he wears depicts the blason of the Crown of Aragon (the red and yellow stripes) which was by then a separated state not unified yet with the Crown of Castile. For his crown here I leave you some pics that may help you: Kings Henry II, Henry III, Henry IV, John II, and finally John II again with another kind of hat.

Hope I help you, and keep up good working!
    Last edited by miguelmm; November 22, 2016 at 02:48 PM.

Tier 3 added. Check original post

Wow this is the best tire 3 so far!

Wow that looks excellent Fawn, can't wait to play against the Moors with these guys !

If I may ask a rather bold question, what faction are you planning next ?

Quote Originally Posted by Filips Augustus View Post
    Wow that looks excellent Fawn, can't wait to play against the Moors with these guys !

If I may ask a rather bold question, what faction are you planning next ?
    Thanks very much! I really appreciate the props.

To answer your question, I really wanted to do the Almohads, but sadly someone else is already working that faction. I really want to do an Islamic faction, but we need some more assests for later tiers for that. I'm thinking it will probably be the Marinids. For now I plan to do the Principality of Antioch, which should be pretty easy, as it will mostly just be a re-skinning of KJC units.

Speaking of KJC, though, while I am working on Antioch, I want to revamp the Kingdom of Jerusalem. KJC was my first faction, and when I made them I didn't know much about the game, and as a result that faction's roster is kind of a mess. I want to go through and re-think the dynamic of how that faction plays and streamline the roster like I did with Castile and Toulouse. While I'm at it, I will also incorporate some of the new assets sly and ltd have made since I put KJC together.

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fawn_Rescuer View Post
    Thanks very much! I really appreciate the props.

To answer your question, I really wanted to do the Almohads, but sadly someone else is already working that faction. I really want to do an Islamic faction, but we need some more assests for later tiers for that. I'm thinking it will probably be the Marinids. For now I plan to do the Principality of Antioch, which should be pretty easy, as it will mostly just be a re-skinning of KJC units.

Speaking of KJC, though, while I am working on Antioch, I want to revamp the Kingdom of Jerusalem. KJC was my first faction, and when I made them I didn't know much about the game, and as a result that faction's roster is kind of a mess. I want to go through and re-think the dynamic of how that faction plays and streamline the roster like I did with Castile and Toulouse. While I'm at it, I will also incorporate some of the new assets sly and ltd have made since I put KJC together.
    I am another big fan of your work The_Fawn_Rescuer! Love the unique decoration on the armour.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem is still one of my favourite factions in the mod and I am very curious how you will revamp them.

By streamline like Toulouse, do you mean having 2 parallel rosters (regular/Cathar & poulain/"crusader")? I would very much like that.
    At this stage the late/high poulain roster needs cavalry sergeants, maybe late crossbows, maybe archers similar to the current crossbows, and spear sergeants. All of these can use models identical or very similar to the ones for poulain crossbows and early communal militia.
    The late/high crusader roster needs late cavalry sergeants (just rename the Lombard Cav?), late crossbows and spear sergeants.

I notice something curious about the heraldry of the high/late Crusader MaA and knights. Among the ones I recognize are Hungarian, Serb, and even Bulgarian for High era. The choice for these crests would make sense if the inspiration is from something like Hunyadi's campaigns from 1443-1456- and this is fine. In the Late era (15 century) the most enthusiastic Western power was Burgundy. In practical terms it didn't amount to much but if Jerusalem was in Christian hands and needed defending...

Anyway, this is my opinion. Looking forward to what you will produce for Antioch. I would suggest you use whatever heraldry you have for both Antioch and Tripoli because they were ruled by the same House in the relevant (13 century) and hypothetical periods (post 13th C).

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
    I am another big fan of your work The_Fawn_Rescuer! Love the unique decoration on the armour.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem is still one of my favourite factions in the mod and I am very curious how you will revamp them.

By streamline like Toulouse, do you mean having 2 parallel rosters (regular/Cathar & poulain/"crusader")? I would very much like that.
    At this stage the late/high poulain roster needs cavalry sergeants, maybe late crossbows, maybe archers similar to the current crossbows, and spear sergeants. All of these can use models identical or very similar to the ones for poulain crossbows and early communal militia.
    The late/high crusader roster needs late cavalry sergeants (just rename the Lombard Cav?), late crossbows and spear sergeants.

I notice something curious about the heraldry of the high/late Crusader MaA and knights. Among the ones I recognize are Hungarian, Serb, and even Bulgarian for High era. The choice for these crests would make sense if the inspiration is from something like Hunyadi's campaigns from 1443-1456- and this is fine. In the Late era (15 century) the most enthusiastic Western power was Burgundy. In practical terms it didn't amount to much but if Jerusalem was in Christian hands and needed defending...

Anyway, this is my opinion. Looking forward to what you will produce for Antioch. I would suggest you use whatever heraldry you have for both Antioch and Tripoli because they were ruled by the same House in the relevant (13 century) and hypothetical periods (post 13th C).

You’re absolutely right about the heraldry and the Lombard cavalry. I kinda got lazy in tier 2 and 3 of KJC and wanted to rush them out, and that’s the main reason I want to revamp the faction and do it right.

My goal for the faction to reflect the reliance of the Franks in Outremer on the Military Orders and the pilgrim crusaders to boost their manpower. The crusader states never executed a major campaign without one or both of those. Therefore, for the new KJC roster, the poulains will only consist of light troops, including the knights which will also be much lighter shock cav than western equivalents. One minor exception will be Italian marine units (1 spear unit) which will only be available in provinces which possess a port.

All heavy troops will have to come from one of the military orders, or from crusader units. But in campaign, there are tradeoffs to these options. Hospitallers will give replenishment bonuses, and possess excellent missile units (and all of the handgunners in tier 3). Templars give excellent support infantry and morale bonuses upon recruitment, but provide no missile troops. Crusaders have both (slightly lower cost and morale), but in order to recruit them you have to activate a crusade edict that will cause significant diplomatic penalties with all non-western Christian neighbors. All the while, as the player you will also have to battle the public order knightmare caused by being a Latin Christian minority. Playing as KJC will involve some difficult choices.

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fawn_Rescuer View Post
    You’re absolutely right about the heraldry and the Lombard cavalry. I kinda got lazy in tier 2 and 3 of KJC and wanted to rush them out, and that’s the main reason I want to revamp the faction and do it right.

My goal for the faction to reflect the reliance of the Franks in Outremer on the Military Orders and the pilgrim crusaders to boost their manpower. The crusader states never executed a major campaign without one or both of those. Therefore, for the new KJC roster, the poulains will only consist of light troops, including the knights which will also be much lighter shock cav than western equivalents. One minor exception will be Italian marine units (1 spear unit) which will only be available in provinces which possess a port.

All heavy troops will have to come from one of the military orders, or from crusader units. But in campaign, there are tradeoffs to these options. Hospitallers will give replenishment bonuses, and possess excellent missile units (and all of the handgunners in tier 3). Templars give excellent support infantry and morale bonuses upon recruitment, but provide no missile troops. Crusaders have both (slightly lower cost and morale), but in order to recruit them you have to activate a crusade edict that will cause significant diplomatic penalties with all non-western Christian neighbors. All the while, as the player you will also have to battle the public order knightmare caused by being a Latin Christian minority. Playing as KJC will involve some difficult choices.
    This is quite interesting. I think it's great idea that there is very big difference beyond just appearance between the local and visiting KoJC units. Makes for interesting player choices. And from historical point of view you are absolutely right, of course. Do you plan to make more high/late era Hospitaller/Templar support troops?
    Also, about the heraldry thing, it's fine for me as long as I imagine I am recreating the Battle of Varna

I don't usually add more screenshots, but I just fought a test battle vs Aragon and I can't get over how beautiful the tier 3 of this faction looks in the game:

"Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind."

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams -- this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness -- and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!"

This will not end very well for them. They should have charged some windmills instead of these french soldiers...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast