Thread: how oscan heritage survive in modern italian dialects and customs

AntonioHundangir's Avatar Tiro

Default how oscan heritage survive in modern italian dialects and customs

hi guys, i would tell you something interesting about pre roman italic heritage in modern italy.
    I vasto, a town of the frentani tribe, in adriatic, and all the area around between abruzzi and molise, is still called like "frentania". (beside that, they continue to call theirself frentani, samnites, irpini, pentri, etc).
    But what i would tell you, is that: looking around regional history, and dialects,(that are something like real languages, with grammar, rules of writing, etc) i discovered that several oscan words are still used.
    the dialect is similar, and change few between the towns, provinces, etc (abruzzi, molise. and even some area of campania, like irpinia. mountain regions, where is difficult enter, and where customs change few.): now i wanna speak of frentani dialect, used in an area between lanciano (anxanum) and larino (larinus, home of the frentanii cavalry.) it is composed by a oscan base, that was mixed with vulgar latin and later with the classic latin in imperial era (region was heavily romanized, the local oscan people and aristocracy gived to rome generals, like oplacus born in histonium, socii commander that tried to kill phirrus at heraclea, and in imperial era a governor of ciprus in augustus period, several pretorians, several veterans like gaius hosidius veteranus, and also a legatus in pannonia during antonine era. over some socii commander during social war, when italic tribes had money with the word: viteliu (italy in oscan). they was perfectly integrated in roman system. the ancient histonium ruins are still visible , therme, etc build with materials arrived from egypt, pay by local oscan-roman aristocracy, with names write, etc local frentanii establishment was heavily involved with romans), and that received some romance influence (norman lords in middle age. indeed several latin words in dialect sounds similar to french for that.).
    but over these influences, the oscan-samnite base is very common, there are many (the majority) words like "tragne" (the e is ever mute) or "gne" (mean like that, like this, etc more latinized dialect use the word "come",.), or tate (e mute, mean grandfather) or "mandile" (table cloth) or molise say "ndoccia" (torch. samnite custom to light torchs. and today people still do it in that region. mixing oscan religious rituals with christianity.) or "abbijarse" (j is pronunced i, like philip, and mean: start to go, the double bb is oscan.). and also several oscan customs continue to be used by local people, like the torch tradition. or the bricks production, much strong in the area during imperial era, hold by a romanized oscan establishment. that's happen in many others areas of the paeninsula, but i m speaking of oscan language and culture, and many other words they still use, seems that the oscan language and other pre roman languages survive in many ways, even we can say that today frentanii dialect, isnt only a romance one, but also a oscan influenced one.the samnite warrior statue indeed is a symbol of molise.
    ending the oscan customs, language, and heritage still alive in modern abruzzi, molise, campania, basilicata, and calabria, (lucania and bruttium. even the greek one is in far south, indeed some calabrese sicilian village speak a greek dialect, and understood perfectly a modern greek.indeed they consider themself in a cultural level, like part of something like a "magna grecia commonwealth", for common language, etc but several other magna grecia towns are latinized too. it depend.).
    Last edited by AntonioHundangir; August 29, 2018 at 06:25 PM.
    "regina caeli, sive tu Ceres,
    alma frugum parens originalis,
    quae, repertu laetata filiae,
    vetustatae glandis ferino remoto pabulo,
    miti commostrato cibo nunc,
    eleusiniam gleba percolis." - prayer to Kerres (Cerere, Benevolentissima Mater)

"Respice post te. Hominem te memento. Memento mori.". (look behind you, remember you're a man. Remember you must die.)