Thread: Ancient: TW series mods for MTW-VI

Libertus

Default Ancient: TW series mods for MTW-VI

Greetings, TWCers

For those who don't follow events at the Org, I've decided to drop in here with the latest news on the Ancient:TW series of mods for MTW-VI. These arose after I made some fixes and patches for the Hellenic mod many years ago, and there is still a lot of HTW legacy material included here.

There are currently three separate mods in the series:

Ancient TW1

The original mod in the series, based on a modified full-Europe map and covers the Bronze Age to Iron Age transition period, 1280-700BC.

There are three scenarios: The Age of Chariots, The Catastrophe and The Recovery

The Age of Chariots begins around the time of the Battle of Kadesh, and features factions such as Egypt (Ramses II), Hittites, Assyrians, Ugarit, Mycenean Greeks etc, plus lots of European barbarians...

The Catastrophe covers the Bronze Age collapse in the era of the Sea Peoples

The Recovery sees the Neo-Hittites, First Temple Israel, Moabites, Edomites etc, plus improved weapons with the development of iron, and chariots giving way to cavalry.

Ancient TW2: Eastern Empires

This mod is based on a map running from Illyria in the north-west to the Indus Valley in the south east, again with three scenarios:

The Rise of Persia begins in 560BC, with Persia asserting its independence from the Median Empire. Other factions include Babylonia, the Ionian Greeks, Athens, Sparta, Argos, Gandhara, Egypt (XXVIth, Saite dynasty), Lydians, Illyrians, and Scythians.

The Conquests of Alexander - due to game mechanics, this begins early in the reign of Philip II (and Artaxerxes in Persia) - although the main focus is obvious, there are various peripheral factions to play including Gandhara, Illyria, Scythia, Argos, Thebes, Hellenic League.

The Wars of the Successors - beginning in 301BC, about 30 years after Alexander's death, when the various Successor kingdoms were fairly well established but still striving for supremacy. Factions include include Ptolemids, Seleucids, Antigonids, Lysimachids, Kassandrids, the Mauryan Empire, Hellenic League, Nabatea, Illyria, Scythia and the marauding Gauls.

Ancient TW3: Roman Wars

Contains two scenarios to date - Punic Wars and Britannia 43AD

Punic Wars covers the historical timespan - so time is short - and only two provinces are required for victory: Rome and Carthage. Beside the two obvious factions, you can also play others, such as Masilia, Iberians, IberoCelts, Syracuse, Sparta, Epirus, Illyria, Numidia and Gaul.

Britannia 43AD uses a modified viking map with the Romans massing on the European mainland, with a foothold in Cantium. There are over a dozen different British tribes with varying troop rosters, including the Atrebates, Corieltauvi, Catuvelauni, Iceni, Novantae, Venicones, Caledonii, Deceangli, Durotriges, Cruithne, Ordovici, Brigantes and Silures. Inter-tribal warfare will get in the way of defending the island from invasion. For twist of ahistorical fun, Ireland is divided between the Hibernii and the Red Branch heroes of Ulaidh (Ulster). Victory provinces are those historically conquered by Rome at the greatest extent of their occupation.

General notes:

All three mods require a clean copy of MTW-VI v2.01, and tend to be very stable. All work on Steam installs, although there may be issues with screen resolution depending on your hardware (generally best to avoid 800x600 resolution if your rig can do better). These are total conversion mods so do not use your only copy of the game if you still want to keep original MTW!

Unit recruitment uses a regional system, so it's always worth conquering to see what new chaps may join your armies, but don't expect to find your faction's elite troops in the far-flung corners of your empire (or even beyond one of two provinces from 'home'). Tech trees are quite different to original MTW, but hopefully still quite intuitive (ie I hope it's obvious you can't get a spearmaker unless you first have a carpenter....)

After feedback on ATW2, I have also made an alternative backdrop map - some people find the original a bit overloaded with information, although it appeals to my sense of history geekiness ~D If you want to change the backdrop, grab it from the link below and replace the MapTex.tga and MapTex2.tga files in the Textures/campmap/ALEX folder.

Work continues on this series, so keep your eyes open for updates.

And finally - the latest links:

Ancient TW1: Bronze Age v2.6
    Ancient TW2: Eastern Empires v0.91
    Alternative backdrop map for ATW2:EE.
    Ancient TW3: Roman Wars v1.0

Default Re: Ancient: TW series mods for MTW-VI

I tried the Eastern Empires pack and had an amazing time. I hope you continue this series with different eras of ancient history!

Libertus

Hi HolyBob,

Thanks for that - glad you enjoyed it. I'm currently working on a new scenario for ATW3, based around the Caesarian Civil War. The map stretches from Spain to Media, with 14 factions across 76 provinces:

Optimates and Populares (obviously ...) plus Parthia, Dacia, Illyria, Armenia, Gaul, Galatia, Ptolemids, Palmyra, Numidia, Nabataea, Lusitania, and Bosporus.

When it's done there will be so many changes to the current version it will leap straight to v2.0 - too much to make it worth doing an upgrade patch, in all honesty. I've been working on the Dacians and Parthians especially this past week or so, and they're both shaping up to be quite unique factions.

I was hoping to have it finished by the end of the year, but I think that may be over-optimistic as the Xmas rush has started at work.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hi Mac, I did not discover this thread until way after you had actually created it. Regardless, let me
    be the first here who rep you for bringing this stuff to the TWC, and for working still on this 'ol trusty
    game. Again, I'll will try this stuff when I can find time to do so.

And, a big welcome to the TWC-boards and this 'ol section.

- A

Daminios's Avatar Civis

nice

Where is it? I have played through all of them already!

Libertus

Aaah... yes, well, thanks for the reminder, HolyBob

Here's the link to the latest version of Roman Wars, with the Roman Civil War scenario included and a few tweaks to the rest. I'm afraid I forgot to update the links here....

Ancient TW3: Roman Wars v1.5

It's v1.5 rather than 2.0 because there will be more stuff going in later....

Brilliant! Can't wait to see what's next!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Hey Macsen, more awesome work I see

Just curious if the above links are still good. I just downloaded the Eastern Empires one and Norton is telling me that the file was only released last week, which doesn't seem right. Is Norton just being crazy?

Looking forward to this!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Libertus

I think Norton's just being crazy - I haven't done any updates that recently. Of course, it might be Google Drive being crazy, of course, or maybe it's just the two of them not getting along together....

I think you're right. I went ahead and installed and, oh boy, what a treat! I started as the Seleucids just to have a look around and it looks like I have my work cut out for me. A sprawling empire, surrounded by hungry enemies and suffering from (potential) internal revolts. Good times!

I did have one issue with a freeze on the battlemap. I fought 2 battles just fine, but the third battle froze up before I could start deploying my troops. I was technically in the deployment phase, on the battlemap before the battle started. The most obvious difference was that the battle that froze involved elephants, whereas the previous battles did not. Not sure if it's just a random thing, though.

Also, thanks for your answers - I (& others I am sure) am so glad you're still active in this community.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Libertus

Heh, heh, yes the Seleucids are a classic empire in over-reach... not so bad once you get your house in order, but it will take a couple of turns beefore you can start feeling secure...

Let me know if you have any more trouble with the elephants (maybe try out a custom battle, which might rule them out).

Enjoy!

Daminios's Avatar Civis

wow !
    Lots of various mods .
    Love too see your Bronze Age bits on the EE map .that stretches to India .
    It would make a super Biblical Chariot Era Mod .
    thanks for offering yr work .

Foederatus

I think it's great that people are still playing this mod, and you are still updating it, after all this time. I didn't know this existed until I just happened to glance at this part of the forum today. I love this period, and I'm currently in the middle of playing the De Bello Mundi mod for Kingdoms, now I think I might have to go out and get myself a copy of the original MTW plus VI, just to play this mod.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Hi there!

Are these packs act as separate mods, thus requiring separate clean MTW base folder each, or you can use only one game folder and install all packs over it?
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Lanjane View Post
    Hi there!

Are these packs act as separate mods, thus requiring separate clean MTW base folder each, or you can use only one game folder and install all packs over it?
    Hi Lanjane,

These are three separate mods, ATW1, ATW2 and ATW3, so each one needs a separate game folder.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Macsen Rufus, I tried Hellenic TW, ATW1 and ATW2 so far.

I like ATW2 units and setup (Rise of Persia campaign is great as Persia!), but I think Hellenic has the most aesthetically pleasing map in the series. It only lacks visible region borders though.
    Also there's a little issue with the buttons of building and units recruiting in all the mods in the series as all icons are desaturated the same way as buttons and sometimes it's hard to understand whether the province is recruiting/building anything or not.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music