Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Denmark

Icon1 Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Denmark

Kongeriget Danmark

Denmark is a relatively new kingdom in the world of Christendom, emerging from centuries of paganism under Viking rule. Exactly two hundred and forty years ago, Harold Bluetooth, the Viking King of the Danes, embraced Christianity, not just personally, but also on behalf of his people. Though the Vikings' fierce conviction in battle was a true asset, forsaking these pagan ways and embracing Catholicism is what has actually elevated Denmark into a true northern power. With the Reich and other Catholic Kingdoms offering support against stubborn Viking pagans, the Kings of Denmark now enjoy an absolute authority that has never been seen in the region before. No mortal army could possibly dream of approaching Norway or Sweden's northern reaches, making the region an ideal set of easily defend-able homelands. Crossing the Baltic Sea is also an obvious option that offers the Danes several access points into Eastern Europe without having to deal with the Imperial forces in Saxony. It is more than little ironic that the Catholic powers of Europe that have secured Denmark's future are now the main obstacles to seeing that future improve.

WIP!!!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Tier 1:

Spear Bondir

Landeværn Spearmen

Spear Huskarle

Axe Bondir

Landeværn Infantry

Huskarle

Bueskytter

Langbueskytter

Crossbow Landeværn

Riddere

Konungr Valdemar the Victorious

Tier 2:

Spear Bondir (High)

Spear Landeværn (High)

Heavy Spear Huskarle

Bondir (High)

Landeværn Infantry (High)

Heavy Huskarle

Lansemænd (Didnt code in the animation yet)

Crossbow Huskarle

Mounted Crossbowmen

Heavy Riddere

Konungr af Denmark (High)

Mounted Herremænd (High) (Super heavy knights - limited to 1 unit)

Tier 3:

Skjold Spearmen

Armoured Huskarle

Stormaend (Super heavy foot knights - limited to 1 unit)

Hellebarder (Didnt code in the animation yet)

Heavy Lansemænd (Didnt code in the animation yet)

Skjold Crossbowmen

Arkebuser

Mounted Heavy Crossbowmen

Noble Riddere

Konungr af Denmark (Late)

Mounted Herremænd (Late) (Super heavy foot knights - limited to 1 unit)

Gotland Units

Note: Due to Gotland not being accesible on the campaign map itself, Gotland units will be treated as AOR.

Gotland Bondir

Gotland Huskarle

Gotland Bueskytter

Hospitaller Units

Hospitaller Knights (Limited to 3-4 units)

Hospitaller Knightly Retinue

Hello guys, its the somewhat new guy around the block, presenting to you, the somewhat finished Kingdom of Denmark.

I would like to thank Slytacular and Ltd. for their immense help since my recent inception to the modding world.
    Without them my current units would be invisible, distorted, comprised of only old men or worse.

I would also like to thank Kjerstetesesevein and Waffenbaum for their help in making the units. Without them my units would look they are from Africa or something.

Now for a bit of shameless advertising;
    check out my unofficial Latin and Native Faction Names for MKTW here and here.

Last edited by FuzFuzFuz; December 21, 2016 at 12:04 AM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Denmark

Woooowww this is a surprise!!!

hessam's Avatar Miles

Fairly good for someone who's only recently entered "the modding world". Keep it up. I don't know much about post-viking Denmark or I'd definitely have helped. Good luck though.

Goodness this is awesome! A very pleasant surprise, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzFuzFuz View Post

Good, but the Jesus Icon shield is more Orthodox-style icon than something Danes would paint on their shields. This icon shield is more like something a Russian or Byzantine officer would carry.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; November 03, 2016 at 06:13 AM.

@You_Guess_Who Yeah, I suppose you are right. I almost exclusively used existing assets for the units; I only made my foray into custom textures recently (shields and Dane officer surcoat). I"ll change it when I can.

Oh, right. Kjertesvein posted some very useful posts on Scandinavian Targes in other thread. This might help:

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    Both Longships and Cogs were used in Early, High and Late period, but from my impression the general change happened during the 14th century.

Depends on what your definition of a viking shield is. 90 cm diameter round shield? Not that I've seen, although we can't say for certain. Shields that are round? Yes, all over Europe as well as in Scandinavian art of various sizes.

Bóndaskildir ('Viking shields') became smaller during the post-Viking period. Lawcodes specified shields are to be reinforced by 3 iron pieces and markings on the boss with ownership and shield makers name as a minimum. Other than that, they could be ornate however you please. Extent survivals that I've seen point to ~50 cm in diameter, although historians point to 50-60 cm diameter as a standard shield and Bucklers at 35-40 cm. In documents from the medieval period, we see use of these 'Viking shields' all throughout the Early, High and even Late period. Not just for Bondir, but also for squire (Svenner, in 1350). Triangular shields were for the higher ups who followed the continental standards.

Here is one quote about the English Tower armoury on these types of shields, as a point of context:
    "The targes (or targets) were most probably circular shields in the fourteenthcentury, and certainly were such in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. In theinventory of 1324 sixty ‘large targes painted with the king’s arms, £24’ (8s. each)were purchased for the Bordeaux campaign, and shipped to Gascony on laGodyer. Included in the indenture recording delivery of military supplies by JohnFleet to Thomas Snetesham, clerk of the king’s ships and barges, in 1337 weretwelve targets newly painted with the king’s arms. Fleet’s account for this periodrecords 457 targes, all issued." These issues continue into the 15th century, jet they are obsolete in the mod for some odd reason, not to mention the 1000s of Pavises on board 14th century English shipboards.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way.
    In the text I've posted before in this thread, the Norse author mentioned 'Wide shields' as the preferred defensive protection on board shipboard. I've not seen anyone who've tried to figure out what this means. It's possible that he referred to holding a kite shield like the pictures below. He could also have meant a round shield, but just larger in size, like a 90 cm Viking shield. Once again, we don't really know, so I'm not going to say anything for certain.

~Wille
    Correct. Somewhere between the shields of the soldiers and the buckler of the officer. Although the thickness probably varied between 1 to 4 layers of wood, the only 'dome' type shield I've ever seen in Scandinavia is from Vattlösa Church, Västergötland in the 12th century (1100-talet=1100s).

Yes, possibly like that.

There were checks once a year and fines for anything that's missing. If the makers and owner mark wasn't on the shield, quality assurance, then the shield would be confiscated. If you lacked all of the 'people's weapons' (spear, axe/sword, shield), then you were a half-slave.

1. The minimum reinforcement on the shield was 3 iron pieces.
    2. The average shield for Bondir were required to also have an iron rim overlapping the edge.
    3. Lastly, as Sly pointed out before, the ornate iron of the Rike shield probably point towards a more influential individual like an officer or well-to-do serjeant.

quotes from the law book:

The average Bondir (those who own 6 mark silver) were required to bring "a red shield with a double-sided iron rim."
    "But every young man and those men who owns less goods than now is said, each of these shall own [...] Good shall for these men wooden shields be, when three iron bars lay across it and there is wooden grips on the inside, which is well riveted."

That's a good question and is where the study of language comes in. According to Anders Helseth, in one of the contemporary law books, it's phrased like this: ”gildr skal treskjoldr hverr, er thrjar jarnspengr liggja um thveran” meaning the iron pieces lay transverse. He's also open for the possibility of 3 circles inside each other, like the image you linked to.

The study of literature by Olle Cederlöf, points to farmer shields were like the Rike shield in size (51 cm) and form, but less embellished. In a probate from August 6th 1350 of the Great Man ('Stormann', a magnate) Eirik Bukk, there is mention of six farmer shields (Bóndaskildir). One for each of his squires (Svenner). It's possible that the embellishment we see on the Rike shield would be like the ones for the squires.

6 broad axes (6 mark)
    7 spears (2.5 mark)
    4 swords, one falchion, 1 shield (4 mark)
    1 shield (1 mark)
    1 shield and buckler (1/3 mark)
    1 plate (2/3 mark)
    4 steel caps, 1 iron hat, 1 closed helmet (7/3 mark)
    6 farmer shields, 1 buckler. (3 mark)

The last mention of these shields that I'm aware of is in 1425 when it's used as payment for a plot of land.

The extent survivals point to variety with different quirks with different decorations that goes beyond the functional minimum requirements of the law books mentioned above. Essentially, there is room for variety.

~Wille

That the shields were painted red and is one of several possibilities. We can assume that all shields were simply painted red. Another explanation is how colours were associated with certain activities. A white shield for example was often a shield for tournaments, for friendly behavior, while the colour red was associated with war and unfriendly behavior. This second option state that the shields didn't necessarily have to be coloured red. It could be that both hold true, or that it's none of the above. We don't really know for certain, so it's up to personal preference.
    We do know that round (targe) shields for men-at-arms were some times painted in various ways, often with the arms of the monarch, as we can see from England. Often with symbols of cities or saints. Peasants shields were often painted in a singular colour scheme. We even have some farmer coat of arms that could work [1][2][3]. Norse seals (emblem) that identified location might also be painted on the shields, we have probably 1000s of those, but this last thing is speculation from my part.

~Wille

Thanks to you and Kjertsvein. I'll definitely keep those in mind when I continue on working on the units.

Although I would like to admit, I hope Kjertesvein will drop by and let me access his massive Scandinavian library

Ghibellino's Avatar Foederatus

Nice, but I don't like wendish units.

Laetus

Nice!
    a few comments/questions:

the leding(leidgang) is a kind of levy of free landowning farmers. were there really such a class of farmers in denmark in 1212? I thought the country had adopted a form of feudal social system then, and people were either serfs or wealthier big landowners?

Nice to see scandinavian longbows, but will there be some form of mechanism in the campaign to limit their numbers?

why call the two-handed axe unit crusaders?

@ander99 I dont know much about Danish laws in the 13th century, but there was a particualr fellow who brought it to my attention in the Kingdom of Sweden thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiram View Post
    To shed some light on Denmark in the starting period 1212. This is the period were Denmark in many aspect were the great power in northern Europe. Ended with the Danish defeat in 1227 at bornhøved (revolt by german vassals).

Denmark is both richer and much more populated than Sweden and Norway (don't have the source for this, I do believe that the Danish combined population was above the Norwegian and Swedish.)

As for troops in 1219, The so called Leding also mentioned by others. is peasents which is by law required to arm them self to some standard. (mostly Spear, Sword/axe, Shields and Bows) quality varied a lot, though it gave the Danish king access to large and cheap armies.
    Then there is the Nobles which is quite plentiful in Denmark compared to Sweden and Norway also had a duty to outfit soldiers, In this case it would be Cavalry (equal to what western Europe could field).
    I could always change it to Levy Spearmen and Levy Swordsmen.

Yes, there is a way to limit their numbers, in custom battle and campaign. Personally, I am not a fan of such limitations as I believe Total War: Attila is about freedom of choice and alternate history/ies.

I was thinking about Danish veterans who went on to fight in the Northern Crusades when making said unit. I can always change their name to Huskarls.

Are they wearing Kettle helmets? I can't quite see but that is what the majority(except knights) should wear if my knowledge about the matter is correct. Another question, what do those 3 crested moons symbolize? I'm fairly certain i have never seen them before in coat of arms nor emblems. Otherwise, nicely done Excited too see what the future brings.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Why are wends using anachronistic Norse equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by KrizpyBone View Post
    Are they wearing Kettle helmets? I can't quite see but that is what the majority(except knights) should wear if my knowledge about the matter is correct. Another question, what do those 3 crested moons symbolize? I'm fairly certain i have never seen them before in coat of arms nor emblems. Otherwise, nicely done Excited too see what the future brings.
    Apparently, its the emblem of the House of Ged. I choose all my COAs/emblems at random from Wappenwiki, except for Holstein and Schleswig. If there are more important regional or noble family COAs/emblems you would like to see, please do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Why are wends using anachronistic Norse equipment?
    The only thing anachronistic is the helmets, which is from vanilla Attila. I have failed to find sources on Wends in the 13th century, perhaps you could help me in that regard?
    Last edited by FuzFuzFuz; November 03, 2016 at 12:55 PM.

I've already talked to Fuz about my stern criticism! =D

[QUOTE=FuzFuzFuz;15164274]Apparently, its the emblem of the House of Ged. I choose all my COAs/emblems at random from Wappenwiki, except for Holstein and Schleswig. If there are more important regional or noble family COAs/emblems you would like to see, please do tell.

Had no Idea about so many houses, but to the matter at hand. House of Rani would be a nice touch since if i'm not mistaken it ruled the principality of Rugen, Don't know much about the other Houses but one would assume the House of Lund belonged to the city Lund which means that they were most definitely powerful from a noble standpoint. Think i've heard about the House of Bosendal but i am no expert on the history of nobles. I can see why all the houses gets a bit confusing. ^^

I'm thinking House of Hvide would be a nice addition since, even if i'm not sure if it was a house or clan it held power in medieval Denmark.

Yes it was the helmets I meant. I know the lack of info on "wendish" tribes, I've had to do research for them in my own mod. Here is what we came up with there:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ry)&highlight=
    Also there was some reenacting group in Germany, I can't find it though atm

Edit: here is the reenacting group:
    http://www.milzener.org/
    Last edited by Linke; November 03, 2016 at 03:05 PM.

I guess the wends have the same units/ unit design as early Poland/ Pomerania because they are both west slavian factions

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Polish-Duchies

Not really, wends were a lot less europeanized nor influenced by orthodox east as Poland. Rather german and earlier scandinavian influences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast