Thread: Gerus' Trial - 87 BCE

Default Gerus' Trial - 87 BCE

Justice had waited too long for this, but now it's day had come. The newly appointed Praetor, Marcus Fabius Ambustus, stood in the forum; flanked by a half-dozen lictors. Before him was the accused, Herenius Gerus, the man who had gone without punishment for half a decade.

“Gerus, you stand accused of the murder of Marcus Livius Drusus, a tribune of the plebs. Did you commit this act and kill the man?”

Marcus simply wanted to deal with this quickly; he was tired of self-serving men who manipulated the res publica from all sides.

Default Re: Gerus' Trial - 87 BCE

Sextus Antonius Salvia comes to the court within the Basilica. "I intervene on behalf of Gerus." he began. "This man, Gerus, has been held for five year pending trial. Five years! This is disgraceful. No citizen of Rome should be held for such a period of time without having the chance to defend himself in a trial. The Praetors, those magistrates responsible for prosecution, have been derelict in their duties. Their delays have been completely unjustified. As tribune, regardless of the charges, I must consider Gerus' rights as a citizen alone. It is my opinion that he should be released and cleared of all charges. If the praetors had any strong case against him, he would have been prosecuted and convicted like the true conspirators." Sextus gave a sideways smile. Gerus would likely get off of the charges now. Was it a victory for the people? Maybe. Gerus was likely guilty, but the behavior and actions of the praetors for the past five years was egregious.

"The behaviour of past praetors has indeed been negligent, tribune. I find it most appalling myself. Yet the time comes now where we must judge him and I would not, for all he may have suffered in these five years, let loose a man who may have caused such offence to the gods by murdering a tribune of the plebeians - why would anyone desire to see such a man walk free, perhaps to commit such an act again?"

Marcus had not expected such an interruption, it seemed nothing in the city could ever work as it should...

"Thus I propose we test the strength of this case immediately, witness Gerus' defence, and if I keep him rotting for another year then may I be tried after my term for negligence."

"No, Praetor." Sextus said with a smile. "I intercede on behalf of this citizen against the arbitrary actions of the praetors. This does not reflect poorly upon you, per se, but all those that came before you for 5 years, Gerus may go free." It was a somewhat controversial stance. On the one hand, Gerus seemed guilty. On the other hand, Gerus hadn't been tried for five years.

Marcus sighs. The man had proved his guilt with his responses to the last trial; he did not understand what Sextus had to gain from saving one who had worked against his own cause so studiously.

"You let a confessed murderer go free, then. And a murderer of one sacrosanct. Let this rest on you, tribune."

"If he is a confessed murderer, you and the praetors of five years past have failed to prove it." he said with a eating grin. "Let it rest on you, praetor."