Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Curia, Consulate of Sulla and Tappulus (87 BCE)

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: The Curia, Consulate of Sulla and Tappulus (87 BCE)

"Find irrefutable proof of enough men holding more than five hundred iugera each of public land, and I will agree to what you suggest, in regards to the Ager Publicus." Albinus reiterated.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

And then Albinus stood, deciding to add onto his counter-arguments. He now spoke louder and addressed the whole senate.

"And another issue with this tribunal demand remains: If the public land is redistributed, how can we guarantee that it will be as productive as it is now? We cannot simply give land into the hands of those who have none. Those who have little or nothing have my sympathy, but they must understand how to use the land they are given, if we are to put the responsibility of public land upon their shoulders."

Albinus sat back down as he neared the end of his argument.
    "And that responsibility is the upkeep of our city, of our republic. The food our people eat every day, the sustenance that fills the granaries. The public lands are not there to help the people enrich themselves, I'm afraid to admit, but to make sure there is food for them to eat. If you wish to raise the people out of lowliness, then another way must be found."

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Sextus stood calmly. "There is another matter. Tribune Salvia has demanded we consider a bill - a bill I support. It is a very relevant reform to our judicial system - which at present is nothing more than a spectacle like the games."

Lex Judicium

I. Praetors shall stand as judges alone, never as prosecutor and judge.
    II. Accused citizens must stand trial no less than one year after formal charges are brought against him or her.
    III. Praetors shall no longer be eligible to receive a portion of funds derived from the successful conviction of a criminal defendant for a capital case or a case involving the confiscation of property."

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

"Let's stick to the matter at hand, Senator Iulus. We can discuss this judicial reform after we deal with the Ager Publicus distribution."

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

A letter from Asia arrives.

Senators,

I Marcus Aemilius Lepidus request that my term as Pro-Consul be renewed by one year. I'm not in a position to leave Pergamum and leave our people to die so I can be re-elected for office.

Signed,
    The Pro-Consul.

"Given the extraordinary circumstances in Asia it would be foolish of us not to extend the proconsul's grant by a year to weather this crisis. I propose the following:"

Senatus Consultum: Asia Minor
    The grant of pro-consular power given to Marcus Aemilius Lepidus to govern Asia Minor shall be extended by a year.

"I second the proposal."

"Patres!"

Said the younger Milo.

"We are overlooking some matters that should be discussed as soon as posible! No-one has pointed out that the harbor masters of Ostia demand a raise of taxes. Those men want higher profits"

Sextus leaned back on his seat.

"Also, I concur with Albinus and my brother Quintus, we shouldn't distribute the ager publicus: it would be harmful for our current landholders and farmers"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

"On the contrary, I proposed the law last year and it was ignored. However, I believe raising the harbour tax to be unreasonable this year. We are in the midst of war and one of the greatest allies if our terrible foe is pirates. It is unfair to damage Mediterranean trade because the few men who govern the docks of Ostia desire greater profit."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234