Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Curia, Consulate of Sulla and Tappulus (87 BCE)

Default The Curia, Consulate of Sulla and Tappulus (87 BCE)

The Curia, Rome
    The Consulate of Publius Cornelius Sulla and Lucius Villius Tappulus

The Curia of 87 BCE is now in session.

Magistrates in Rome

Consul Publius Cornelius Sulla and Lucius Villius Tappulus

Censor None

Praetor Sextus Julius Iulus Adustus and Marcus Fabius Ambustus

Aedile Sextus Julius Iulus

Quaestor Claudius Aemilius Lepidus and Sextus Erucia Mergus

Tribune of the Plebs Sextus Antonius Salvia

Magistrates in the Provinces

Pro-Consul of Asia Marcus Aemilius Lepidus

Pro-Praetor of Sicilia NPC

Pro-Consul of Corsica et Sardinia NPC

Hispania Citerior NPC

Pro-Consul of Hispania Ulterior NPC

Pro-Consul of Macedonia Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius

Pro-Consul of Africa NPC

Pro-Consul of Gallia Narbonensis Lucius Atilius Regulus

Events
    1. King Dumnorix of the Aedui has invaded Gallia Narbonensis with a large Gallic army.

2. Macedonia is in full revolt. The cities of Macedon and Greece have fielded a large army with the goal of independence. They throw their lot in with Mithridates due to mismanagement by the Romans and the general call for Greek independence.

3. Asia is in full revolt, incited by Mithridates IV and the arbitrary actions of Roman magistrates over the years they have invited Pontus to reign over them.

4. Mithridates IV of Pontus invades Asia with a large army, calling on all Greeks of the eastern Mediterranean to oppose Roman rule and declare Greek independence.

5. The weather this year has been perfect. Crops: +25% income

6. The increased relationships with the Gauls as of late (notwithstanding the Aedui) have paid off Gaul: +2 NPC interactions with all non-hostile Gauls

Left over from last year:

1. A fiery new tribune of the plebs, Marcus Frentus has called for a redistribution of the ancient ager publicus. This will diminish income for the agricultural branch by 25% for 2 years unless another creative solution can be found.

2. The harbor masters of Ostia are demanding an increased port tax of 15% (or another creative solution) in order to expand their own profits. Many of them being equites or else plebs who have risen up economically.

3. The Tenants in Rome demand better housing (Roman housing in this era was truly appalling), or at least that precautions be taken in order to prevent or defend from fires. The cost for better housing is 10,000 denarii/family engaged in tenancy, or another creative solution.

4. Gerus' trial is still pending five years later.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 02, 2016 at 04:44 PM.

Default Re: The Curia, Consulate of Sulla and Tappulus (87 BCE)

Publius Cornelius Sulla enters the Senate, presiding over the opening rituals and sacrifices. He has heard the news from the Provinces, and it was dire. It was the largest threat to the provinces that had ever been gathered. This differed from the Italian wars of course, but the threat to the wealth and sovereignty of the Republic was at risk. Decades of mismanagement had led to this moment.

Once the rituals were over, Sulla opened the session. "Senators, we face many threats this year. Many have been slaughtered in the provinces, our response must be swift and brutal. Mithridates has brought this war, and I will not rest until I see him in chains marching through Rome. Macedon and Asia would never have revolted if not for him. As for Gaul, the Gallic tribes have ever been bellicose. We must humble them once and for all."

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Claudius Aemilius Lepidus, new to the senate enters the building and takes a seat. *He waits before the he gets speaking time.

Claudius stands "Senators of Rome, we face an invasion of which the likes we have never seen! Pontus, Gaullic tribes and the Greeks attack us. I propose that imperium is given to the pro-consuls of these regions to deal with these invasions. With the 6 legions we have standing, of which 3 are in the disputed provinces I propose the following."

Lex Aemilius Imperium
    I. The proconsulates of Gaul, Macedon and Asia will receive 1 legion to reinforce their provinces.
    II. Imperium is given to the pro-consuls to retaliate against the invading forces and proceed to invade their lands.

Quintus Caecilius Metellus Nespos arrives in the Curia, his last few years in Greece had been very productive, but now it seemed the whole world was on its head.

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"The Res Publica is threatened on every side! Our enemies are flockering at our doorstep! If Asia is lost, Macedon comes next and Mithridates ruling both could be too powerful to defeat in battle"

Said Scipio.

"We have to move as soon as posible. Patres, I can raise men in the defense of our provinces; I will devote my entire assets to the cause if necessary. Roma shall no be threatened by the likes of Mithridates!"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

"This year's Consuls must lead the armies. Publius Cornelius Sulla has proven his worth in the battlefield already, I don't see who is fitter than him to lead the legions of Rome to the East."

Quintus Milo spoke, he was fashionably tanned because of his time spent in the beaches of Africa

"Tappulus can be sent to help Regulus deal with the Gallic invasion, or to the East with Sulla."

Sulla let Lepidus finish before speaking up. The young man was seemingly panicking, but Sulla was more composed, a man of confidence. "No, Lepidus, such a piecemeal distribution of the legions would only serve to ensure that we face defeat in every theatre of war. I brought three legions to Rome, and as Consul, I will personally take command of the legions in order to destroy the threats to the Republic."

Publius stood, raising himself from his Curule chair. "Furthermore, I shall raise two additional legions from my personal funds to aid in the defense of the Republic. I move that I shall take command of these five legions, and march eastward. I will rescue the provinces under siege and their magistrates. As it stand, the Proconsuls of Asia and Macedonia have one legion apiece, not enough to do much good against the threats posed by the invaders and insurrectionists."

Sulla turned to his colleague. "Tappulus, who filled the role of Consul last year in an emergency, should take command of several new legions and go to Gaul to aid Regulus, who is my son-in-law. This will leave the Praetors in command of the city, to organize defenses and any other matters of state that may occur in the absence of the Consuls."

Marcus Fabius Ambustus enters the Senate, pleased with his new position, remaining silent through the debate.

"Consul Sulla, " Nespos speaks up. " We have proconsuls in place already, they can surely be counted on to lead the legions perfectly fine, that is why they are in place, to deal with issues such as this. " He had been out of Rome for so long and had not quite kept up with the goings on in the rest of the provinces.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"No." Sulla replied to Nespos "These threats present a significant problem. In the past several years it is true that the Pro-Consuls have been able to address the threats posed by foreign invasion. I myself held the Lusitanians at bay and then annexed over half their lands due to the prosecution of the war." he said with some pride. "However, this current situation is different. Never have we faced such threats in the north and in the east. The Consuls are required to act in such dire circumstances. The Pro-Consuls will not be relegated to a secondary status, they shall remain a central component of the war effort." Sulla had learned well that the legates and subordinate commanders could make all the difference in a battle or campaign. "As for myself, I will not seek to supersede the Pro-consuls, but to co-opt them into the campaign." But, even then, I have the ultimate Imperium. I could take over general command of the entire east if I wanted, and who would stand in my way?

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Consul Tappulus nodded in agreement with Sulla. He was impressed with the man's calm and composed figure and ability to assess the situation. He had certainly not picked a good year to run for consulship, but he would not let Rome fall into the hands of barbarians. Lucius rose from his curule chair.

"I agree with you, Consul Sulla. It is imperative that we raise new legions and make our way to deal with these threats to Rome. I will personally contribute to the raising of one new legion. As you are the more experienced man in matters of military strategy, I will bow to your suggestion. Mithridates has quite the reputation, so I do not doubt that you are the right man to lead our legions to victory in the east. I will gladly deal with the Gauls to the north."

Sextus Erucia Mergus arrives and takes his seat as one of the elected quaestors. "Patres, I do not wish to interrupt, but the legions have been paid and the current sum in the Aerarium is 11,657 denarii."

"That is good, Mergus." Sulla replied. "While I lament the fact that the state cannot raise new legions, I am satisfied that at least the coffers do not remain empty."

"That is all fine Mergus, but the treasury will surely need more than 11000 denarii to raise more legions." Nespos chimes in, he was acutely aware of financial problems.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"The tax from Africa, Hispania Ulterior, Macedonia, and Sicilia have not arrived yet, perhaps once they arrive we will have the required funds to raise a legion."

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

"How many new legions are required?" asked the ex-consul and flamen dialis, Albinus the Elder, who looked from quaestor to consul.
    "It seems to me that the consul has suggested five new legions in total, yet we cannot even raise one."

Albinus looked to the quaestors again.
    "Why have not those provinces sent their taxes yet?"

"Flamen, I seriously doubt Macedon can yield any income in open rebellion"

Said Scipio.

"I can raise another two legions for the service of the Res Publica. Legions that could be put to good use in Greek itself, to quell the rebellion before Mithridates gets a hold over the province"
    Last edited by Oznerol; November 02, 2016 at 06:49 PM.

"Gallia Narbonesis and Asia Minor paid the tax, senator, and the latter of those is in open rebellion along with being invaded by Pontus. There is no reason Macedonia can't pay the tax."

"What are we? Equestrians, peddling in a marketplace?"

Said Scipio.

"That money shall be put to good use in the province itself. The mere notion that those provinces inhabitants can be taxed is obnoxious, it could only make things worse; if our good colleage Metellus thought no money could be yielded by the province, he has surely a good reason, quaestor. I don't doubt the good judgement of our ex-consul"

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

"You hold no imperium, senator Scipio. You cannot raise legions."

He glanced at the consuls.
    "You can, however, if you so choose, gift your money to those who can. To that effect, I shall donate this year twenty-thousand denarii to the Aerarium immediately for the raising of a new legion."

Albinus paused again, and looked around the whole senate before continuing.
    "I move that we agree to disband all new legions, however, once the troubles of the coming years are over. We cannot afford to have more than three state legions, and there are already enough legions in the hands of the governors."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast