Thread: The Concilium Plebius

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default The Concilium Plebius

Sextus Iulus was quickly dispatched to find the Plebian Tribune of the People's Council, shortly after the violence at the Tribal Assembly.
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 29, 2016 at 01:21 PM.

Default Re: The Concilium Plebius

ooc: I don't want to moderate this, for the record

OOC: I assumed that. I don't blame you either.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

OOC: I will
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Citizen

The Plebian Tribune, a middle-aged Roman by the name of Severus, had dismissed the People's Council for the day in light of what had happened. When Iulus appeared, the tribune looks upon the Roman with some skepticism.

What do you want, Iulus? Have you already caused the People enough suffering for one day?

OOC: +2 Npc interactions, +1 auctoritas

His response is calm and deliberate. "I did not start the riot and nor did any supporter of ours. The Juliii Iulus have been nothing but friends to the People of Rome. Indeed, the whole debacle was started when Scipio arrived and began slandering past tribunes as men seeking to destroy the Republic. The debate had been civilized until his arrival.

The fact remains that we put a motion to the People to vote for or against. It is not just for that motion to be denied by the machinations of an Optimate who sought to stop the motion by causing violence.

We ask that the motion be put before the Council in a week's time."

Citizen

The People are screaming your name just as much as anyone else's name!

The Tribune scoffs slightly as he points at the empty location where the People's Council would be convening.

The People are too afraid or too riled up to vote, Iulus. Your motion will have to wait another day or it may never happen... who knows. Violence is violence, and you were among those who shouted words just as loud as them.

The Tribune did not seem entirely convinced. He viewed every one of those people who stood and spoke as guilty in his eyes. Riots were never good for the people and not for Rome certainly.

"As I have stated, Tribune, I do not expect a vote in the aftermath of the riot. All we ask is that our motion be put forwards in the next Council - next week."

OOC: All I want is for him to agree to put the motion forwards at the next meeting of the Council.

Citizen

Range: 0/20
    Modifiers: +1 Auctoritas, +10 for recent actions and popularity, -5 for riots, -5 for Consul's death
    Result: 1/20. Rolled a 10.

The Tribune gives Iulus a long stare, his eyes already betraying what he was gonna say.

The People may still respect you yet, Iulus, but this... this is too much for us to even consider voting on your matter. A Consul's death and a riot, caused by your desire to go around the Senate and to have us vote on the matter. We will keep our hands clean of this stain that you and your fellow Senators have caused.

Sextus Salvia arrives at the Comitia. Perhaps Severus or Frentus would be available for a chat. By this time word would have spread that Sextus was cast out of the gens Cornelius Sullae, leaving behind his patrician background.

Citizen

Frentus was the one present when Sextus arrived. Once more the Concilium Plebius was empty as many of its members were cowering in their homes, some wondering what their fates were. Frentus would be walking down from the complex, meaning to go home for the day when he notices Sextus arrive. The Tribune's eyebrow goes up slightly at the appearance of Sulla's disavowed son.

​The disavowed son of Rome's capable Sulla... an interesting coincidence that I find you out here. Is there something I can do for you?

"Yes there is, Frentus." Sextus replied. "I seem to be in a bit of a hard spot at the moment. My father is being irrational and acted out of anger, but here I find myself. I never condoned violence in the comitia, that was unforeseen. I do, however, have the peoples' interests at heart. Iulus did work for the bread dole and other reforms. I myself am devoted to extending the bread dole and having it occur once every year." He took a seat on an empty bench. "As you know I am a Senator, but I have lost faith in the Senate.I plan to give up my post. I require several things, however. I need to be adopted by a plebeian family, and I intend to flex my political muscles further by running for tribune of the plebs if I am successful."

Citizen

Frentus's eyebrow went up slightly at the remarks made by Sextus.

Though you are viewed as Iulus's right hand man, the people are skeptical now with the recent riots. Shortly after it happened, Iulus came to see if the measure would go through and my colleague refused him, desiring the Plebian Council to be clean of this stain. If you truly desire their friendship and to be adopted by them, you must show the People that you are their own champion. That are set away from Iulus. The People may still love and respect him, but violence never breeds anything good as you know.

The Tribune ponders for a moment, thinking of a good Plebian family for Sextus.

There a number of good and high-standing families that would surely desire to adopt you, Sextus. Many of them are not only Roman, but Italian as well, given their recent rights handed to them. If you can show the people your ways, then I will gladly see to the arrangements of helping you be admitted into a notable family, Sextus.

"Iulus never promoted violence!" Sextus replied. "It broke out during the voting, nobody induced it or called for it. Iulus is the only one who worked to put bread in the mouths of the plebs this year. He has started numerous projects, funded at his own expense, for the people." He quieted down. "I would be grateful for it." he said

Citizen

The People are the People though, Sextus. Their opinions change like day and night and like the seasons. There are those who will believe you, those who won't and those who aren't sure. We must make sure all believe you, Sextus.

Frentus knew, unlike his colleague, Severus, that Iulus was innocent and was a good man for the People. Yet he knew some of his associates had their faith shaken in Gnaeus after the death of an elected Consul of Rome.

With the death of Gnaeus, however, it will be tough to convene the Plebian Council fully. I will see if I can arrange a meeting with the most notable and powerful among the Roman and Italian families for a meeting. If you can convince them of your designs, then you would surely garner the support of majority, if not all, the Council. Come by my Domus in a few days.