Thread: Shady dealings

Default Shady dealings

A man, cloaked and hooded, with a full beard, arranges a meeting with one of the architects behind the construction of the Aqua Iulia, with promises of gold. This particular individual wears Greek-like clothes, including a chlamys... They would meet under the shadow of the Temple of Diana, an old temple predating the own Republic, in the Aventine.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Default Re: Shady dealings

The architect, Septimus Tidvidius, meets with the cloaked man in the alleyway

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

The cloaked man offers him a strong arm:

"Septimius Tidvidius"

He salutes. His accent is thick, likely Greek in origin. Feigned or not, it was pretty convincing.

"You are the man charged with the works in the aqueduct. I represent a collective who doesn't wish to see the Aqua Iulia finished any time soon, at least not until a large sum has been invested in the works. You are the architect, after all, and you surely know how to do this... We are willing to pay generously"

The cloaked man shows Tidvidius a fat purse, likely full of denarii.

"You would also count with our gratitude in the future. Of course, this must be keep between us and conducted with the utmost secrecy; remember you shall be handsomely rewarded"

"The aqueducts are sacred, friend" Septimus replied, stressing the word friend. "And I have a reputation to think of!! How would I ever get work again if the aqueducts were not perfect?" He asks

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"Of course. Gods bless your work, architect"

Said the cloaked man.

"It will be perfect, in due time of course. We only want your employer to invest even more money and effort. You know, likely complications: a hill must be carved, you need another shipment of stone, a new crew of workers, etc... Use your imagination"

He smiled.

"We aren't willing to stain your spotless reputation architect, but your employer's. Fear not, you shall not suffer from this, you only stand to gain, more so considering the senator will pay you too. But a meager sum compared to what we could offer you"

"So you only want delays? Even that will sully my reputation you understand?" Septimus went on, derisively . " Maybe you Greeks do it differently, but we Romans get things done efficiently and on time. I may go a long time without a new job if things are delayed on a project I am overseeing. So you best offer some handsome reward before I can consider your offer."

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"9,000 denarii. Enough to buy yourself a seat on the senate or purchase lands to retire yourself from building aqueducts. Surely, after deducting the costs of material, manpower and such, whatever you got from the senator will be halved. All this coin would be for you, entirely, no need to pay anyone or anything"

Said the man kindly.

"However, we expect results. Iulus must at least double the sum invested in these works"

Rolls success (+3 auctoritas, +8 for denarii)

Septimus takes the bankers note for the 9000 denarii, this was too much to pass up.

"I will see what I can do, friend, though it will not be easy." He says greedily

ooc: This does not mean anything is delayed yet, but you bought the architect at least

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

The Greek nods and leaves, wrapped in his cloak.

-----------------------------

One day, the same man arrives to the workers' camp, riding a cart.