Thread: Please identify this sabre

Default Please identify this sabre

Hello,

In 1967, I bought a sabre from my uncle. The story went that it was found by one of his brothers. It was in the false back panel of a wardrobe in the home of an elderly person who had died. This house was in Mellor, not far from Manchester, UK.

I posted the same question and pictures (please see below) on the sword forum eight years ago,you'll find it and the responses here...

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...Mystery-Weapon

The sabre seems very similar to an Ames weapon of the early 19th Century. It has a 34-inch blade and a simple, iron basket around the grip. The basket has two knuckle guards (forgive my ignorance if this is the wrong term!). The grip is clearly made of leather (very dry and missing in places) over a wooden core. Though the grip is ribbed, there's no evidence of its having been wired.

The weapon also has a simple, steel scabbard with what appears to be a brazed join.

Quite apart from its source, my sabre has two unusual features. First, it is stamped 'F PRESTON' on the tang(?) near the grip. Secondly, it is clear that the blade has never been sharpened. The damage to the grip suggests much handling but no actual use.

I've done some web research but nothing positive has come up. I'm aware that my sabre is probably of a common kind and I am not seeking a valuation, just an identification

Any comments will be welcomed.

Many thanks,

David HillClick image for larger version. 

Name:	S1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	341359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	341360
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S3.jpg   S4.jpg   S5.jpg  

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Please identify this sabre

Thread moved from General TW Discussion.

Looks like a 1821 pattern cavalry sabre carried by an officer or nco. They often had the blade changed.

I have one just like it.

I also have a heavy nco cavalry sabre from around 1896 and it has the same star on the ricasso. It's definitely British and not the Bavarian one from your previous thread.

It probably had wiring grip at some point, but many lose it and show no traces of it later. Sabres without wiring are usually from 1890 or later. Secondly, you don't sharpen sabres. Their edge are for breaking skin and bone and whatever else is in the way. Not slicing like a knife.

Hope this helps!

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

I think the suggestion of the M1826 Bavarian cavalry sabre might be on the money. Your sword is almost identical to the M1826 Artillery sabre which has been identified with some confidence here. The difference is the slight waist/scallop at the top of the basket where it returns to the hilt, which I would suggest functions as a point to fasten a wrist strap - common on cavalry swords.

*Aermanner, just looked at the 1821 British cavalry sabres and there are several variants being identified as such, differing in the handle and basket. What most of them have in common is a slot in the top of the basket return instead of the slightly narrowed waist of *davhill's sword, also that steel casing along the top edge of the hilt continuing over the pommel is not common to some of the British swords but seems common to the Bavarian swords.

**I now sympathise with OP, looks like a definitive ID could be tricky with lots of very similar swords variously attributed.

***I think this sword is the same as the OP's
    Last edited by Spear Dog; October 30, 2016 at 09:22 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Maybe it is the sword of Omens? The one Liono wielded?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Ok, sorry, couldn't resist
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Must... not... post... Pawn Stars meme...

Seriously, there's a lot of knowledgeable people here but you might be better served by taking it to an expert.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If you're looking for additional perspectives, try here. Additionally, ask Easton (the email at the end).

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; November 01, 2016 at 12:04 AM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Looks European to me, early 1800's. Probably French or British if I had to guess. If this is from the Napoleonic Wars then it probably belongs to the French or one of their allies like Italy, Bavaria, Westphalia etc.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 04, 2016 at 03:21 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō