Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] Character Traits Overhaul

Default [PREVIEW] Character Traits Overhaul

1.2 Preview - Character Traits Overhaul

Overview

- The Rome 2 trait system is very limited, but we wanted to do what we could to improve RPG aspects to the game. Running up against these limitations caused various issues, but the system we will have for 1.2 works within those issues to put together the best case scenario for more immersion and character development in DeI. These limitations include the hardcoded limit of 3 traits per character, a simplistic trigger system, the lack of nuance when it comes to trait assignment and retention, and many more issues. However, I believe our creative workarounds here have provided at least a semblance of character development that was severely lacking in vanilla Rome 2.
    - To put it simply, every general will now have 3 traits from his creation. These traits fall into three categories: Political Rank, Education/Upbringing, and Personality. All generals will start with all 3 of these traits in one form or another. Agents will start with 2 traits (they have no political rank). We have removed all vanilla traits other than political ranks.
    - Based on in-game actions of the general, mainly revolving around battles for technical reasons, the Political and Personality traits will change. The third trait, Education/Upbringing, will not change (with one exception, see below).

Evolving Personality Traits
    - These traits are based on our existing personality traits in 1.1 with which many of you should be familiar. The basic idea behind these traits is that they take 4 personality aspects and combine them into an overall archetype. These personality aspects are drawn from options like Brave/Cowardly/Rash, Self-Deprecating/Confident/Vain, etc. Each of those aspects have specific effects tied to them. When four are combined, they form a personality archetype such as Calm, Virtuous or Histrionic.
    - Every character, including agents, has a personality assigned to him or her at creation. However, for now, only generals will have that personality evolve based on in game actions. This is mainly due to a lack of good options for triggers for our agents in DeI given their specifically defined roles. We may explore having them with evolved traits in the future.
    - Depending on various in game actions, results, age, and other factors, a general can have his personality change. For example, a Cowardly general who has won certain battle types may become Brave. A Brave general may become Rash after too many large victories or Cowardly after too many costly defeats. As these individual aspects to the overall personality archetype change, the archetype itself shifts to a new one. A Calm general may become Hot-headed or a Virtuous one may turn Philosophic.
    - Other aspects to the personality also change based on various conditions, hopefully mimicking what has happened to the character over the course of your campaign. When a change occurs, new messages will appear describing what has happened:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - These changes are restricted to various age ranges and limited in various ways so that the general will not shift between multiple personality types repeatedly. Eventually, as the general ages, he will become set in his ways.
    - All of these personality evolutions can still age and mature as our current traits do, allowing characters to grow into their new personality types.

New Education/Upbringing Traits
    - These are entirely new traits that represent the formative years of a character and will be assigned to both agents and generals. The idea is to have their education and/or upbringing represented as a background trait.
    - Barbarian factions have different traits from the more "civilized" factions. Here are some examples of the new traits:

New Roman Triumph System
    - Since we are removing all vanilla traits that trigger in a campaign, the triumph system has also changed. The new Roman triumph trait will base itself off of the education trait slot. Once a Roman general has earned a triumph, he will gain the Triumph Candidate trait. That trait slot will now mark him as having been awarded a triumph by the Senate.
    - In order to complete his triumph, the general must journey back to Rome for a turn and actually hold the parade itself. After that has happened, he will become a Triumphator and gain new effects based on that and his original education trait.

New Political Elections
    - Rather than have political ranks be purchased through the politics menu for characters, we felt it would be better to have them be earned in game.
    - All characters now start at political rank 1 so they are a viable part of the political system immediately. Since all factions now start with 4 political parties, this makes politics much more interesting.
    - Based on age and battles won, a general can rank up through the political system and gain political election within his faction. When this occurs, a message will inform the player of the event:
    - Various characters start at higher political rank in the campaign to reflect their current historical status.
    - Rome has a special pro-consul rank that triggers after being consul for 1 year to better imitate the Roman political system.

Last edited by Dresden; October 28, 2016 at 12:31 AM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Character Traits Overhaul

Dresden 2016: Make politics great again!
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Somehow, you ladies and gents are making Rome 2 into an immersive experience. I thank you for all your efforts. Look forward to roleplaying in the new version.

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

Sounds awesome! Cant wait for it!

w a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
    Meraun | HIVE | Community Veteran

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Some very nice ideas there guys.

Just pure win.

Nice to See this. If my General has become a Triumph, can he go With or Without the Legion to Rome? I Hope, we have a Higher Chance to see Civil War in High Middle Or late Campaign for Romans/Karthagians or Other Factions.
    i Miss the Loyality Effekt from medieval 1, but i think it can not be Modded in Rome 2?

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Interesting changes! Let's see them in play

Pre-Order DEI 1.2 now and have 50% discount on all Character Trait upgrades! Beat your friends to become Rome's Consul faster than them! Dominate ancient politics! Out soon!

NONOPUST's Avatar Primicerius

DeI 1.2 would be the best Christmas gift (hopefully it's ready by then)

DeI nş1 running for the Community Awards once again !

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

There is one minor spelling mistake in the OP. And we apologize.
    It should ofc say. Trump instead of Triumph.
    We proudly introduce the new Roman Trump System

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has to be in a general's unit garrisoned in Rome, you can take him out of his army then put him in an army of just him to become triumphator

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    We proudly introduce the new Roman Trump System
    Giving Roman politicians the option to blame rigged elections for their failure in getting a position.
    Last edited by Gusten Grodslukare; October 28, 2016 at 02:36 PM.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

The Roman faction really seems like they are becoming the deepest and most interesting in this increasingly deep mod... I will actually try Rome first when 1.2 comes out - something I haven't done since Vanilla RTW I came out! Great job, and thank you for your dedication!

This is a whole new layer over the vanilla campaign and it looks amazing. Politics for me has always been something I fiddle with when I try to get some stat increases and nothing more and I always found it frustrating how my generals got random debuffs out of nowhere. This will change all of that it seems. You guys have done something awesome, and I applaud you for it! Thanks for your hard work and dedication!
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Caius Bingerus's Avatar Tiro

wow, very nice idea and implementation...i nominated this mod too for awards, simply it deserves it and the people behind this project are some kind guys
    ...the duty of a soldier ends only with his death...

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

whenever there is a DEI preview, Mr. Stiffy makes a visit to Pantsland.

Civis
    Malang city, East Java province, Indonesia

I like the personality trait changes, look real, and give more experience to player.

Don't know how I missed this preview, but looks amazing! Very EB2-esque.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast