Thread: A meeting with Pontus.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default A meeting with Pontus.

Marcus Aemilius Lepidus meets king Mithridates VI of Pontus

Pro-consul Marcus Aemilius Lepidus sends word to the kingdom of Pontus that he wishes to meet Mithridates near the city if Pessinus Each side can take 5 guards with them, a tent will be erected on a plain where the men can meet without possibility of ambush.

Last edited by General Brewster; October 27, 2016 at 12:54 PM.

Default Re: A meeting with Pontus.

ooc: could we possibly find a city to have it in?

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Days after the message has been sent, the King of Pontus arrives at the meeting place. The king is dressed in bronze armor and with a lion's pelt over his head. His five bodyguards carry bronze shields, signifying them as the elite of the Pontic army. Mithridates VI, known for eating poison to make himself immune to its effects, was a large and imposing man who looked upon the Roman delegation with suspicion. Pontus was not a friend of Rome as it had been before during the Third Punic War, with the republic's ever-growing influence and expansion encroaching on Mithridates' own ambitions.

"Tell me what you want Roman, so we can be done with this before this day is ruined too much. I do not have time for your games and your schemes."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    ooc: could we possibly find a city to have it in?
    Pessinus it is

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Days after the message has been sent, the King of Pontus arrives at the meeting place. The king is dressed in bronze armor and with a lion's pelt over his head. His five bodyguards carry bronze shields, signifying them as the elite of the Pontic army. Mithridates VI, known for eating poison to make himself immune to its effects, was a large and imposing man who looked upon the Roman delegation with suspicion. Pontus was not a friend of Rome as it had been before during the Third Punic War, with the republic's ever-growing influence and expansion encroaching on Mithridates' own ambitions.

"Tell me what you want Roman, so we can be done with this before this day is ruined too much. I do not have time for your games and your schemes."
    Marcus was early and sat on his chair in the tent. The city at his back. 5 legionnaires accompanied him in their traditional combat uniforms. The pro-consul for this occasion wore the same outfit as at the battles of Volaterrea and Sutrium.

"Power." Marcus said before an icy silence. Marcus stands and fills two cups of wine offering one to the king. "Power is the reason I asked you here. You're power hungry so is the Republic. You've been ordering attacks all over the border for years, by the grace of the Republic we haven't intervened. I can make sure we continue to keep a blind eye if you would aid me in a particular manner. "

Mithridates did not even spare the cup a single glance, merely focused on the proconsul's words. He frowned, which then turned into a grin.

"Ha, where is your infamous pride that you would let an enemy raid your own lands? Very well, I will hear what you have to say. What is it you propose, Roman?"

Blog Entries

"No wine ?" Marcus remarked.

"Help me take the regions currently owned by pirates in the south, than my regions are connected again. All looted funds will be paid to you for your help."

The King of Pontus remained silent as he pondered the words. Then he waved with his hand in a dismissive manner.

"This is an offer that I see no benefit in Pontus for. You expect me to let Rome take regions and grow more powerful in Anatolia, while all I get is a few coins for my work? I might as well let the pirates bother you for a few years before taking the regions for myself. No, if you want my help, Roman, you are going to have to come to me with a better offer than that."

Blog Entries

Marcus sat back stroking his chin.

"Perhaps you heard from my colleague ? The Ex consul Sulla. Word is already coming that he won the war against the Lusitanians. Which means that there will be three legions ready to redeploy to this region. I'm quite sure you wouldn't want any actions to be taken against your incursions ?" Marcus coughed into his hand before continuing. "I still offer you the entire private treasury, together with any ships. Refuse and my legions will deploy there, who might get restless after the pirates are defeated. Join me and consider yourself safe from threat, refuse me and I cannot vouch for any actions the Republic might take to safeguard the region."

"Is that a threat?" The King snapped back "Do you take me for some fool? If you want help against the pirates it means you lack the strength to root them out yourselves. A sign of weakness, I think. We'll be watching your every step in Asia Minor, Roman, be aware of that." Mithridates was clearly in a sour mood, Marcus would get nothing out of him today.