Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Curia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Metellus (88 BCE)

Default Re: The Curia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Metellus (88 BCE)

"You are more than welcome to take command and wipe out the pirates in the Aegean, Gauis." Quintus responds.

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Gnaeus responds dryly. "I would be more than happy to Quintus, there is already a legion ready to be deployed and I already have ships ready for battle. But what is the Senate's response to that?"

"You had your chance, and you proved incompetent." Sulpicianus replied

"Shall we at least vote upon the Lex Caecilia before proposing another law to deal with the Cretan issue?" Ambustus sighs, eager to proceed.

"Where does the law stand?" Gaius asked "Has it been amended, or will it not be?"

"I feel we should put it forwards without any amendment - at least that way we can agree upon the creation of the college and enact it. Any amendment could follow later."

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

"Without the further quotas upon one's ancient class, yes." Albinus chimed.

Default Re: Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus

Publius Cornelius Sulla Triumphator appears at the entrance of the Curia and enters. His barely contained rage towards his son was palpable. He glared at the young man as he moved into the chamber. "Senators, I have returned from Hispania triumphant. The Lusitanians are subdued, for now, and half od their lands have been annexed for Rome to the province of Hispania Ulterior. I am humbled by your vote of a triumph, though I am also very disturbed at events which have been reported to me. Violence, it seems, once again reins in the city. Violence sparked by the political turmoil that has gripped the city. I hope that I may act as a conciliator in this matter."
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; October 29, 2016 at 05:23 PM.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Lucius Villius Tappulus, having been appointed suffect consul following the death of Sulpicianus, takes his seat in the curule chair wearing the toga praetexta. He nodded to Cornelius Sulla in appreciation.

"Welcome home, Proconsul Sulla, it is good that you are here. The city has been gripped by violence and riots, yes, but it would seem that the worst of it has ebbed out. I think that the Vigiles will be able to handle policing the streets and putting down any potential rekindling of the flames that led to the riots in the beginning. However, if you were to act as conciliator together with us consuls, as you are a respected man who commands respect, your aid would be greatly appreciated."

"I have given up my proconsular power in order to return early to Rome at the behest of the last remaining ordinary Consul of the year." Sulla began. "As I understand it, the issues arose over the command of a war against the pirates of the Greek seas. I asl why we must fight over commands? It is senseless. Let Scipio and Iulus command jointly over two attack groups if that is necessary to maintain the peace. Two invasion groups under both men with equal authority. We should unleash our fury on the brigands, not on ourselves. I am horrified and personally offemded at the murder of my brother in law and a consul of Rome no less. We must do better."

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Since last time Sulla had seen him, the Flamen Dialis, Albinus the Elder, had become consul in the previous year, and now sat as censor this year. He was also father-in-law to Sulla's son, but now Albinus shared a similarly elderly rage against the young Sextus and his choices of late.

"If I may," the censor raised his hand, speaking before the other consul, "I was not present at this riot, but it seems plain to me that the conflict of the two senators over the imperium to invade Crete was somehow contorted into a political struggle."

He paused, looking around with hesitance.
    "As in, the petty factions of our dear republic have taken sides on the most minute of issues, and escalated it to the violence. This is not about who will command legions to Crete; the orders are tense, once again, for the first time in almost a century."

"A joint command, I do not see that ending in a good way until both Iulus and Scipio publicly bury the hatchet and agree to set aside their differences for the good of res publica. Until then, any expedition to deal with the pirates on Crete will have to be postponed, or imperium is given to another man not involved in the dispute."

Lucius evens out his toga before continuing.

"As suffect consul for this year, I would like to know what issues has not been dealt with yet. There were quite a few issues to deal with if my memory serves me right, but being out of town for a time has left me blind to the Senate's work."

Iulus stood and addressed the Suffect Consul. "I would be more than happy to apologise to Scipio and to make peace with him - if he ceases to slander me and apologises to me for doing so."

-----

Sextus took the floor. "The recent riots have proven that there is no substantial law enforcement in the city of Rome. I propose the City levies another 3 cohorts of Vigiles and that we recruit 3 Cohorts of Legionaries to act as heavy duty police for dealing with large scale riots such as this."

Lucius Villius Tappulus nods in agreement.

"A fine suggestion, one that I have thought of myself. We cannot let mob rule dictate who lives and who dies in Rome. I have already drafted such a law proposal."

Lex Cohortes Urbanae
    - A permanent police force will be set up to handle day-to-day policing of the city of Rome, named the Urban Cohorts.
    - The Urban Cohorts will be made up of three cohorts, after the organizational structure of a legionary cohort, with 500 men in each cohort (total: 1,500 men).
    - The members of the Urban Cohorts will serve under the same terms and with the same equipment as legionaries.
    - Each member of the Urban Cohorts will be paid 2 denarii a year for his work (upkeep: 3,000 denarii).
    - The Urban Cohorts will serve under the command of the Urban Prefect of Rome.

Sextus stood again. "I suggest we also take command of the late Sulpicianus' Vigiles and that we add another 3 cohorts to them. They should be commanded by a Praefect Vigiles.

I also suggest that these ranks be made.magistrates - elected each year to prevent any one individual gaining too much power over the police forces of the City."
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 30, 2016 at 07:01 AM.

"I'm willing to set aside my grievances with senator Iulus for the sake of the Res Publica and the wellfare of the state"

Said Scipio.

"I support consul Tappulus' motion"

----------------
    Milo, with his characteristic mop of curly hair messier than ever, speaks as well:

"What will we do with so many armed and organized men in the capital? Surely, they would increase the security and crime would be lessened. But, it could be wielded as a dangerous weapon by anyone ambitious enough, perverting its original purpose"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

I also suggest that these ranks be made.magistrates - elected each year to prevent any one individual gaining too much power over the police forces of the City."

"If so, there should be two men in charge, so they may control each other"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Ambustus nods at Milo's proposal.

"Much as we share the consulship for security, two perfects would help ensure stability in Rome."

"I shall amend the bill then."

Lex Roma Denuntiator
    - A permanent police force will be set up to handle day-to-day policing of the city of Rome, named the Urban Cohorts.
    - The Urban Cohorts will be made up of three cohorts, after the organizational structure of a legionary cohort, with 500 men in each cohort (total: 1,500 men).
    - The members of the Urban Cohorts will serve under the same terms and with the same equipment as legionaries.
    - Each member of the Urban Cohorts will be paid 2 denarii a year for his work (upkeep: 3,000 denarii).
    -The Urban Cohorts will carry truncheons in place of swords when policing the city.

-The Vigiles of Sulpicianus are to be commandeered by the State and 3 more cohorts of Vigiles will be added to their ranks.
    -The Vigiles will handle everyday policing and fire firghting duty - the Urban Cohorts will take care of heavier duties - such as riots.
    -All policing forces will be commanded by the Praefects Aedilicus.
    -There will be two Praefects Aedilicus."
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 30, 2016 at 07:57 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast