Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Curia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Metellus (88 BCE)

Default Re: The Curia, Consulate of Sulpicianus and Metellus (88 BCE)

"Good to hear young Iulus," Quintus comments. He paused, then looked over the Senators in the Curia.

"But as our esteemed Flamen Dialis mentioned the gods, I do not believe they have been shown the proper respect recently" He began.
    "I believe the first thing we need to do is establish a college of pontifexes , so that there the proper amount of priests to say the prayers, inaugurate new temples, and perform the daily rituals needed throughout the city. I would also like to organize a college of augors who will take the readings and make sure all the auspices are in line with where they should be."

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Lex Caecilia
    1) A 6 member college of pontiffs is established that includes the Pontifex Maximus
    2) Once established, when a pontifex dies, a new pontifex will be co-opted in by the remaining members
    3) The Pontifex Maximus will be elected by all Roman citizens, but must already be in the college of Pontiffs
    4) The college will be responsible for consulting the Sibylline Books and performing the daily duties throughout the city
    4) A 3 member college of Augurs is established to take the auspices

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Senators of our beloved Rome.

The situation in Asia has always been hostile. However with Pontus recent raids into the pro-consulate of Asia I request a sizeable force to be sent to Asia. It's currently not guarded and I fear the province will be overran if there are no forces present.

Signed,
    Pro-Consul Marcus Aemilius Lepidus

"Then he should have consulted the gods regarding the auspices of attacking at that moment." Gaius Sulpicianus replied to his colleague. "None of the wars in which we have been successful in as of late have ever been offensive attacks, but defensive countermeasures. Though I daresay we owe much of our successes to Publius Cornelius Sulla. He's the only man I would trust with a commend of great importance at this moment."

-----

Sextus Sulla replied to the proposed law. "I shall only support this law if it sets at least two positions aside to be held in reserve only for plebeians."

"Sextus, you are right. But there should be an equal number of plebeians on the college, not just 2"

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"Even better." Sextus replied

Sextus Annius Milo, this year's praetor, speaks:

"I agree with Metellus, there should be an equal number of plebeians and patricians on the college. Only a couple of them wouldn't suffice"

The younger Milo, even if he had married Albinus' daughter, was a plebeian and a homo novus.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

"I disagree." Gaius Sulpicianus ventured. "Setting aside a minimum number of half for plebeians would give the plebs an unfair advantage. After all, they wouldn't be barred from office, they would have just as much opportunity to reach the priesthoods within the college. I must insist that such a provision be set aside."

"Milo has the right of it, the plebeians would have a maximum of three and the patricians would have a maximum of three in the college of pontiffs"

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Ambustus moves the following amendment accordingly:

Lex Caecilia
    1) A 6 member college of pontiffs is established that includes the Pontifex Maximus
    2) This college will be balanced equally between patricians and plebeians
    3) Once established, when a pontifex dies, a new pontifex will be co-opted in by the remaining members
    4) The Pontifex Maximus will be elected by all Roman citizens, but must already be in the college of Pontiffs
    5) The college will be responsible for consulting the Sibylline Books and performing the daily duties throughout the city
    6) A 3 member college of Augurs is established to take the auspices

"I must object." Gaius Sulpicianus said again

"Now what do you object to Gaius?" Quintus asked his fellow consul.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Gaius knew that with no reference to class, patricians would be able to dominate the priesthoods, and if not patricians, than only the plebeians influential and wealthy enough to infiltrate the higher offices like himself. "The law should make no reference to class at all. Let the fittest men for the office fill the roles without regards to class."

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Gnaeus Julius Iulus stood. "I second the motion. All men are equal before the Gods and while the Gods do not discriminate, men do. We must ensure that all classes have equal representation befite the Gods."

"The gods do certainly discriminate!" Sulpicianus replied. "This is why different cults have different rules regarding class, always a course of conflict. Let this newer college be an innovation in that regard."

----

Sextus Sulla was wise to Sukpicianus' ploy. "Do you think us fools, Consul?" he laughed "Do not claim some egalitarian mission. Without offices set aside for plebeians, the patricians will dominate the higher offices by wielding their influence to ensure they do."

Gnaeus stand quietly. "Rather than redistribute the ager publicus as it stands, I suggest any of the ager publicus in the colonies that is unoccupied be offered to any Roman Citizen wishing to take up their share of the public land. In addition, I move that all new lands taken by the Republic first be offered to those who wish to take their share of the public land - rather than just be assimilated into the provinces."

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

The censor and high priest of Jupiter stood up, tapping a ceremonial stick on the senate floor until all were silent, calling for order.

Then he looked directly at one of his son-in-laws, Sextus of the Sulla, and then to all of the senators.
    "Dominate?" he asked, incredulously. "Don't you claim an egalitarian mission, my fellow senators. All the plebeians in this room are just as rich and influential as the patricians - if not more than my own family, even." He said, looking at particular plebeian senators.

"Do not bring your ancient class struggle," he enunciated across the curia, "into the priesthoods. The gods will have none of it."

Albinus looked at his son-in-laws again, both Sextii, of Milo and Sulla.
    "Many of the plebeian senators in this room most of all should know that the priesthoods are as open as they can be to pious and virtuous men of all ages and class backgrounds."
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; October 28, 2016 at 05:12 PM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

A letter arrives once more from the Proconsulate of Gallia Narbonensis. The contents of the letter bring word of formal and favorable trade relations established with the powerful Averni along the northern border of the proconsulate. The Proconsul, Lucius Atilius Regulus, hopes that this will bring new goods and fresh coin along with it.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Gnaeus stood. "The Lex Cretica has been drawn for days. No other Senators have voted. I move that it be dismissed."

Sextus stood calmly and intoned. "I second that motion."

"I will entertain no further motion related to the appeasement of the mob. Their interests have been amply served this year." He said, glaring at Iulus. This man was obviously selfserving, a populist, and dangerous. "I also find the self serving motion on the floor extremely distasteful. If no pro-praetorial power can be granted to one we may propose, then as Consul I must lead the command myself." he said with a wiry smile. "Either myself or my colleague." He watched Iulus intently.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast