Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

Default Re: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

*** Updated map status on first page, first post. ***
    ACW 2.6 - American Civil War Released:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ar-June-2-2019

Default Re: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

Slyk/Primergy, thanks for all the work done so far on N&S2 and Slyk thanks for "collecting the torch". Its great to see that you have thrown yourself into this N&S2 Project with so much vigour. Looking at the progress feedback you have provided on the threads in this folder you are continuing the great work carried out by Primergy. I have been a wargamer both tabletop (which I havn't done now for quite a few years) and PC Total War (along with a variety of others which all come in as inferior to the CA/SEGA and previous Computer Houses range). I have every TW game released, and have enjoyed them thoroughly. I have always wanted an American Civil War total War release and voiced that opinion on many boards, but have been met with so many negative responses because the ACW had only "Two Sides" as they put it and is worthy only of an Add on.
    Having had a go with what is already available for Shogun 2 North And South 2, I am simply amazed at what has been achieved so far. I have previously had the two Empire Versions (Blue v Gray and Brother v Brother) and had considerable enjoyment from them, although I had several issues with Brother v Brother crashing, and movements not working as directed from Cursor pointing a formation. There were also walls thhey couldnt pass or climb over, and a variety of other little glitches like slow frame rates or loss of sounds, but when it all worked, the graphics sound and special effects were good and the game was great played mainly as a campaign. Custom battles performing even better.

I simply couldnt get the earlier North And South 1 to work on Napoleon and this resulted in having to reinstall NTW quite a few times, so as you will no doubt deduce I am looking forward to the completion of this MOD immensely.

Why you may ask, well because of the break from Brother v Brother, and having played this latest Shogun 2 mod version although still in its early stages, I find the game so much smoother, maintaining frame rates and so far NO CRASHES!!. To see the smooth movement of the troops as they walk and run, change formation, melee, change direction etc etc is really wonderful, and I am confident the completed game is going to be as good if not better than an equivalent CA/SEGA release. Ive had a couple of bashes at the maps supplied with fairly big compliments of Units on both sides, and the game doesnt seem to slow any, so please, be sure to complete this work of art. It will bring a great deal of happiness to an ol' timer like me.

If I may make one observation,- whether you can correct it or not during your modelling of figures (I only wish I had the skills to help you but I know Jack about any of the programming skills that go into the making of a game like this) it would take an inaccuracy away that has existed throughout all of the Total War games in factions which have included drummers. Below is how drummers of the period (annd for that matter ever since) have worn a side drum, swung to the left and tilted.

Here is one of a Napoleonic French Drummer as a comparison.

What have we got in TW Games at the moment? This
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nx-GXdaF5Ds/maxresdefault.jpg

What does it always remind me of;

As you are presently building and working on the various regiments, would it be too much work to add on to an already very busy programme to modify these drummers to a level of accuracy. I seem to recall someone talking about this feature some years ago on the Total War forums, but at the time it was said they could not alter the drummer only introduce another standard bearer, which in this case would be an improvement on the rather stupid looking present drummer, and have two standard flags, one the Southern Cross and the other the Regimental Flag.
    If this is going to create too much work then forget about it, just keep up the fantastic work you have been doing, but if it were possible without too much effort, then it would be great to include over those provided by SEGA

Here is another example of the drum "High Toted" on the chest. I was a drummer myself in my youth in a bugle and drum band and we never wore the drum like this. It would make quite a difference if taking screen shots or Machinema.

Thank you for the compliments, Marshal. When I took over the mod in 2012, I had some help as we worked for the better part of two years to get a release done. I paused for some time but managed to get a pretty decent project out. I decided a few months ago to give this a huge overhaul and add more content. We have made a lot of bug fixes, improved AI, made better artwork, and I have just finished up the 34th historically accurate map. We have a TON more content on the way including historical scenarios, scripted-Campaigns which means smart AI that is scripted to defend, evaluate, and react. ... and possibly... RANDOM attack and defend actions. I should have between 40 and 50 total maps for version 2.0.

As for the drummer issue. I am pretty sure that CA made a design choice as a lower drum model would most likely clip through the drummers legs as he walked. I think they made the best choice given the art, animations, and engine at the time. As for this mod, I would not even put this issue on the to-do list. It is beyond my skills and honestly has no bearing on the game and would not be worth the effort in time for return value. I would prefer to remove the damn drummers all together if I can't make them NOT play while in the woods... no sneaking up on the enemy when they hear the damn drums beating...

I'm going to get some more unique info up here as far as the mapping process goes. More screenshots coming of "South Mountain" as well.

Thanks again, for the comments. I hope you'll enjoy version 2.0 even more.

Some screenshots of test play on "South Mountain". I finished the map. Didn't like it. Remade it. More satisfied now. This map takes in both Turner's Gap and Fox's Gap at about 76% scale. I have since added some stone walls, seen partially in the last screenshot that is looking west thru Turner's Gap. The other shots are random test battle shots. I may do a 'how I made this map' story shortly, using this one since the source maps were so good.

Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170222205216_1.jpg   20170222205228_1.jpg   20170224211733_1.jpg   20170224205435_1.jpg   20170225134005_1.jpg  

Biarchus

Slyk, WTF! That South Mountain map is freaking amazing! WOW!

hold on is the AI improved in this mod? (Also do fences and Stone walls give cover in this new version) just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    hold on is the AI improved in this mod? (Also do fences and Stone walls give cover in this new version) just wondering
    cause usually AI charges you when they are really close (well in the Original NTW the AI does)

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    Slyk, WTF! That South Mountain map is freaking amazing! WOW!
    Ztrain... I really like "South Mountain". I made the map and tested it but didn't like the scale, it was too tight. So, I started over. Luckily I use such a standard process for making individual layers for every feature, it wasn't completely from scratch but still took about four hours overall to get it redone. So glad that I did it again. I'll attach a couple pics. This is going to be a great 2v2+ map. We played 2v2 last night and it came down to ending at 58 minutes when the Confederate/defending team threw it in and did all out melee to end it. I have forward and center start position for the defending team and then player two comes in from the northwest/Hagerstown/Boonsboro direction. The woods and rocks really mix things up as you have to spend time aligning your regiments etc. I am really happy with this one. I have to add the final casualty page later as my game locked up trying to save the replay--hosted by another player.

Grant: Yes, the current AI in version 1.0 is annoying with the melee thing. We've reset it to much more realistic numbers and the standard AI far better. What I was mentioning above is that for "Campaign" and "Historical Scenario" battles, you will have better AI if no human opponent. We are hoping to do a series of "Campaigns of the Confederacy" and "Campaigns of the Union" to mirror the NTW campaign map where you fight chronological order as a single-player in the stock game.

Cool also will you fix the problem with the soldiers walking/ running through fences (also about the ai thing I want to say Finally good AI to see epic last longing line battles YAY cause I always wanted good AI and a ACW mod to go with it and you made that come true thank you Slyk and Your Team for this great mod and making ACW a great mod for NTW and the NTW Community I rate this mod 10/10)

P.S. if you ever need someone to test the mod before the public release just let me know and I'll do it just add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/General101/
    Last edited by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant; February 26, 2017 at 11:54 PM.

Cool also will you fix the problem with the soldiers walking/ running through fences...
    This is a matter of the type of model the fences are, they are treated as "Buildings" and in that file. I could not, at the time (and still can't) make splines to insert fences as the lame standard game did. Each and every fence model, over 30,000 on some maps, is a single model of it's own. Although I developed a semi-automated spreadsheet to help plot them, it is HOURS and hours per map. If the fences were colliding with the soldiers, you would never be able to climb them... because they are not done via spline so no node to make the climb animation work. Therefore, "No", these are what they are and that's the best you will likely get unless someone comes along and does all the fences via the spline method. I don't have the time to chase that angle. I will place some fences in the new maps but not many, simply too much time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
    This is a matter of the type of model the fences are, they are treated as "Buildings" and in that file. I could not, at the time (and still can't) make splines to insert fences as the lame standard game did. Each and every fence model, over 30,000 on some maps, is a single model of it's own. Although I developed a semi-automated spreadsheet to help plot them, it is HOURS and hours per map. If the fences were colliding with the soldiers, you would never be able to climb them... because they are not done via spline so no node to make the climb animation work. Therefore, "No", these are what they are and that's the best you will likely get unless someone comes along and does all the fences via the spline method. I don't have the time to chase that angle. I will place some fences in the new maps but not many, simply too much time to do so.
    Ok just wondering thanks
    Last edited by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant; February 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
    Thank you for the compliments, Marshal. When I took over the mod in 2012, I had some help as we worked for the better part of two years to get a release done. I paused for some time but managed to get a pretty decent project out. I decided a few months ago to give this a huge overhaul and add more content. We have made a lot of bug fixes, improved AI, made better artwork, and I have just finished up the 34th historically accurate map. We have a TON more content on the way including historical scenarios, scripted-Campaigns which means smart AI that is scripted to defend, evaluate, and react. ... and possibly... RANDOM attack and defend actions. I should have between 40 and 50 total maps for version 2.0.

As for the drummer issue. I am pretty sure that CA made a design choice as a lower drum model would most likely clip through the drummers legs as he walked. I think they made the best choice given the art, animations, and engine at the time. As for this mod, I would not even put this issue on the to-do list. It is beyond my skills and honestly has no bearing on the game and would not be worth the effort in time for return value. I would prefer to remove the damn drummers all together if I can't make them NOT play while in the woods... no sneaking up on the enemy when they hear the damn drums beating...

I'm going to get some more unique info up here as far as the mapping process goes. More screenshots coming of "South Mountain" as well.

Thanks again, for the comments. I hope you'll enjoy version 2.0 even more.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I am conscious that whilst answering queries like this, it takes you away from the essential activities of modding and testing. Get enough people writing and expecting a reply and an evening is soon gone when nothing has been achieved, so please do not waste any more of your precious time on responding to me.
    I had a suspicion it would be something with the original models of drummers. I appreciate it is a no goer for spending time on now after your explanation. Its just something that has bugged me throughout all of the regimental presentations of soldiers. Like you I think the drummer being totally omitted would also be an improvement, perhaps replaced with a Regimental standard bearer in parity with the Southern Cross Flag bearer. Anyone clever enough then to take the base image file and paste in one of the many different "colours" that abounded for the various flags of the time.
    A suggestion regarding the problem of the drum playing in woods and forests. When any unit is concealed from the enemy by trees, a small green foliage symbol appears on the unit card at the bottom of the screen. This is, as far as my very limited knowledge goes in programming, a logic 1 or 0 for that unit. Could the triggering of this symbol be utylised to whilst triggering the card symbol, to switch off sound of the drum. I dont know if it would be possible to help you in that issue, its just a wild idea I had, butr if it helps you that would be great. Again dont waste time responding to me on this. If it will work, use it, if it wont then just discard the idea.
    Only suffice to say I am very excited for the future of this Mod from what you plan to do, and having now been successful in getting North & South 1 to work on NTW and seen the quality there, I have great hopes for the future of this mod. Good luck in what you are doing and thanks for the work you have so far put in.
    Oh btw, the second picture from the left in your screenshots of South Mountain looked EXACTLY like a scene in Gods and Generals, a film I watched for the umpteenth time again last night. I love your work.

I wish there was enough time to explain to the general user base all of the challenges involved in modding this, and most older CA games. They just didn't do 'squat' to help out. In the big picture, nearly every aspect of modding for NTW has been user discovery. I don't mind answering questions related to this mod or the game in general if it helps others understand the challenges. To address the question of what amounts to Regimental flags... Pain in the a$$. To do so properly would require a lot of effort in the back end to configure the model of the 'flag2' guy. Not to mention the totally impossible task to acquire the regimental flags of every unit in the game. I would probably attack that issue by just giving state flags to the units unless a clearly identified flag graphic was accessible. In the big picture, very cool in concept but very burdensome in creation due to the limited abilities we have. Not to mention the data bloat of adding more flags on more .dds atlas files etc. All of which the game has to load into memory which equals slower game play risk.

As for linking the drum sounds to the terrain type, not possible as far as I know. The only time the drum/fife stop are when units either run or stop moving. If I have time to invest in more sound work, I'll look at more options. The one sound related issue I have at the top of that category list is to eliminate the damn "Revolutionary Guard!" and other dumb-a$$ vocals. I know Steph has accomplished this and I got a ton of help there but I have not had the time to thoroughly dig through and complete the effort.

IF we can accomplish ... and that "we" is TWO people, including myself... IF we can, we will present the players with all but an entirely new game. THAT, is my goal.

I appreciate all thoughtful feedback. Thank you for that.

i'm pretty sure this mod is the most OP out of other ACW Mods Ever

** Updated map status on first post.

Here are some recent development screenshots as well as a first-time play vs the AI on "Bristoe Station"... where, I admit, I got my ___ handed to me for the first time in a LONG time in a general fight. It was not pretty. The AI grouped up and concentrated on the strong point of my line, about 13 of his 17 regiments came straight in. I was flanked on my right by three units and held them off but the center crumbled. It was a rather amazing and humbling experience as the AI did everything right. The AI punched a hole, opened it to both sides, then slowly fixed my units in front while marching one to three units onto each flank to surround me and finish me off one regiment at a time. Overall, seeing more of this from the AI.

** Pics are in reverse order from my text below...

I added a few from "Bristoe Station" in a 2v2 with three AI. My ally folded fast and I managed to hold off both enemy AI. Generally the two enemy AI attacked my ally first.

Additional shot from "Spotsylvania"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170217203523_1.jpg   20170304204313_1.jpg   20170304202701_1.jpg   20170304202455_1.jpg   20170304143507_1.jpg  

Oh can't wait to fight that AI

so how will the Campaign Work out for this Mod

so how will the Campaign Work out for this Mod
    A "Campaign" is highly dependent on getting the lua/luac to decompile and re-compile reliably. Then we can actually work on a new campaign map and all the assorted assets.

What I have the most hope for, I have outlined earlier in this thread: essentially "Battles/Campaigns of the South/North" like those in the standard NTW game. You play battle by battle in scripted AI defense or possibly attacks, in order... right now I have nearly 40 maps to work with. It is a matter of time and HELP. There is me... and one other friend who has been helping along the way since we finished up version 1.0. It takes an immense amount of time to do this with only 1.25 people... he has a lot of other time demands and I do all I can every day to work on this project. It's just that life demands more than we care to be diverted

Updated the first post with map status.

Other recent work completed:
    - created a 20-pound Parrott 2-gun Section unit. Screenshot included showing a 3-inch, 10-pound Parrott and 20-pounder with their ranges... NOTE that the ranges are capped for some reason at 1,000 yards. I swear I had them out to 1,200 but trouble-shooting this.
    - tweaked projectiles further, normalize and staggered them properly by gun type
    - experimenting with the various ammo load-outs that the game hard-code allows us to tweak. Currently experimenting with the 3-inch, 10 and 20 pound Parrotts with Shrapnel, Percussion Shell and Canister. Getting these to align properly is a . CA saw fit to hard code particular ammo types into 'slots' on your HUD. So, even though you see a "Round Shot" icon, it might be another shell type etc. Long story, just trust me, it's dumb and frustrating, and we are currently limited to only THREE ammo types. We are working at this.
    -Generals with "Star" ratings is working. Your army/faction choices now feature Generals, by name, with Star ratings. We are working at another aspect to create a tier system for Stars = X Rally and Y Inspire uses. So, the more stars a General has, the more he costs BUT he will have more Rally and Inspire uses and for longer duration and shorter time-out. This will be balanced and give you options...such as fewer Rally/Inspire but longer duration and shorter time-out between use versus more Rally/Inspire for shorter duration and longer time-out. This scale will cover 9 or 10 star levels across four tiers. Still a work in progress and requires UI/HUD modifications.
    - Lots more little stuff... but it's nearing public testing.