Thread: The Gathering of Wealth

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default The Gathering of Wealth

Pro-Consul Iulus had sent personal invitations out to the richest 4 merchants in all of Greece and Macedonia. He had given a vague hint at a great plan to make money, one he wished to involve them in. The meal would take place within the personal quarters of the Pro-Consul, and already the slaves had a great feast prepared. Bread, wine, roasted meat and a huge variety of vegetables and fruits - chief among them dates.

The meal was laid out in a large circle, so no man would sit at the head of the company.

((+2 NPC Reactions, +1 Auctoritas)
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; October 20, 2016 at 02:28 PM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Gathering of Wealth

The four wealthiest merchants rather than showing up themselves united in a collegium and sent a representative in the form of Quintus Baebius. Baebius is a skilled negotiator but also isn't shy of a little violence. The Pro-consuls reputation precedes him and this made the merchants to send a representative.

"I was sent here to represent the four wealthiest merchants in Greence and Macedonia." He says with few words but a lot of power behind them.

Carnifex carried a violent past and a bloody future. Gnaeus Julius Iulus cared little for the power behind this man's words. After all, he could have them declared enemies of the state and he could confiscate what their only strength - coin. Rather than begin with threats, Iulus smiled pleasantly.

"I'm glad you managed to get here safely. I will be blunt and to the point. Your masters do not possess Roman Citizenship - the only thing they require to become truly wealthy. I, as Pro-Consul of Macedonia, have the right to give them their Citizenship. I am interested in a trade.

I need coin for my various upcoming projects in the Province. For a price of 10'000 denarii each, I will give these merchants Citizenship."

Blog Entries

"My clients are very wealthy as it is. Citizsnship is just a matter of time it would seem. The senate is giving it away for free in Italy it would seem. You seem to be down on your luck Carnifex.. what will you do with their money ? "

Gnaeus scowled coldly. "No, they are not. Perhaps if you were attuned with the current situation then you would know that. There will be no more jandouts of citizenship - save in agreements such as this.

I will use it to run my province - though it is no business of yours.

Mind your tongue, I am the Pro-Consul of Macedonia. You shall address me as such."

Blog Entries

The man not at all impressed by the useless power display. "You're rather delusional if you think my clients will provide you with 40.000 denari without knowing the purpose. With or without citizenship it would take a significant time to re-raise such a sum." Quintus strokes his beard before continueing. "Tell me that pro-consul and I could ponder if we wish to say yes to this endeavor."

Gnaeus leaned easily back into his chair. "I intend to create a Greek Senate of a sorts - and give a devolved set of responsibilities to a number of Greek Senators. These will include Governance over the Major Cities in the Province, control of a Greek police force, judicial control over all civil cases and any criminal case that is not a capital crime.

There will be various magistrates created which will be occupied by Greeks.

Such an endevour requires hard cash. Various budgets must be created and maintained - in order to allow for a small transition of power."

Blog Entries

Quintus strokes his beard again

"So you want to break away from your Republic?"

Gnaeus looks at the man as if he was mad. His voice trembles with indignation and rage. "Of course not! I intend to give Greeks a role in advising the Pro-Consul and I intend to give them some power over their own affairs. This is the wealthiest of the Roman Provinces, the Greeks the most intelligent and civilized of Roman subjects. I intend to give influential Greeks and Macedonians Greek Rights, and allow them to hold magistrates in the major Greek cities and to sit as members of a Greek Senate.

This Senate will have control of lesser judicial matters, city policing, festivals and public buildings not considered to be vital to the Governorship. The Greeks will be given devolved power and budgets to run many of their own affairs, while the Pro-Consul's office continues to handle foreign affairs, military matters, roads and the economy. The list is not yet fully finished."

Blog Entries

Quintus grins. "Your story is rather.. inconsistent. Nothing makes sense either Pro-Consul. The fund still have no clear destination. I fear we'll have to decline the offer in absence of any clear purpose or gain for my clients.. "
    10 or above is pro/ below is against. D2 = 7 +2 npc interactions = 9. verdict = against

Ooc: +1 Auctoritas as well. That makes it for.

Blog Entries

Your right my bad.