Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Red Dead Redemption 2

6 Years ago, Red Dead Redemption came out, and it still stands as one of my favorite games ever made, one of the few I completed 100%. Rockstar released a teaser earlier today.

They kinda gave PC gamers the shaft with Redemption (no PC version). They've announced it for PS4 and Xbox One. Will the PC get a version this time around?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

I'm actually so excited.
    I've literally been waiting for this game ever since I finished RDR, which is easily one of the best games of all time.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

It certainly was a great game, played it again a little bit recently. I never did finish it.

My main problem with it was how it saved the game.. losing quite some progress when you wander around since theres a lot of random deaths happening. I hope that this will be improved for the sequel since this is what caused me to stop playing it when I picked it up again recently. Got tired of spending an hour or more exploring only to die due to wild animals or such.

Anyways, about the sequel.. it looks good so far for sure. But I am wondering what they will bring to improve the series other than the graphical part.
    I am hoping for multible protagionists myself. A cowgirl might be a really cool to see as one of them. Maybe a few more towns on the map would be nice too.
    Or being able to wield two pistols instead of one. Should be optional though to draw the second one as well.
    Melee combat could be expanded a little too, to include the cavalry saber, a woodcutters axe and such too. It would have its uses.

Maybe they could go back in time a little, to the civil war. Might be a neat backdrop to have for the story. Both a southern and a northern fort could be on the map and depending on where you commit many crimes, the southern or northern army could send troops to kill you.
    And they could stop chasing you when you cross the border. A uniform for both sides could be available to wear and you could get in serious trouble when wearing the wrong uniform when encountering soldiers.
    Last edited by Inhuman One; October 20, 2016 at 04:10 PM.

yeah.. it was great.. I finished 2 times

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    It certainly was a great game, played it again a little bit recently. I never did finish it.

My main problem with it was how it saved the game.. losing quite some progress when you wander around since theres a lot of random deaths happening. I hope that this will be improved for the sequel since this is what caused me to stop playing it when I picked it up again recently. Got tired of spending an hour or more exploring only to die due to wild animals or such.

Anyways, about the sequel.. it looks good so far for sure. But I am wondering what they will bring to improve the series other than the graphical part.
    I am hoping for multible protagionists myself. A cowgirl might be a really cool to see as one of them. Maybe a few more towns on the map would be nice too.
    Or being able to wield two pistols instead of one. Should be optional though to draw the second one as well.
    Melee combat could be expanded a little too, to include the cavalry saber, a woodcutters axe and such too. It would have its uses.

Maybe they could go back in time a little, to the civil war. Might be a neat backdrop to have for the story. Both a southern and a northern fort could be on the map and depending on where you commit many crimes, the southern or northern army could send troops to kill you.
    And they could stop chasing you when you cross the border. A uniform for both sides could be available to wear and you could get in serious trouble when wearing the wrong uniform when encountering soldiers.
    Apparently it takes place before Red Dead Redemption. A while back a map was supposedly leaked:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...tion-2-1319101
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked

A.B.A.P.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

As with RDR it's dead to me if it's not on PC.

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I hope they get a PC version out like they did with GTA V. For RDR I had a PS3 but I'm never buing a console ever again. Red Dead Redemption is the only game I have completed a 100% with all the bits and trophies and stuff. I have no doubt that the sequel will be at least as good.
    --------------Arengada--------------

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well there is more available on the ps4 than just read dead redemption 2.

Personally I strongly prefer playing diablo 3 on it rather than on the pc due to the couch co-op. It's a lot of fun to play it together with a friend beside you. Alone behind the computer it gets boring to me. It's the full version with the expansion of course, fully updated and all that. I never played it before. The entire system just works very smoothly, its a better co-op experience than I had in the past on consoles with hack and slash games.

Fighters are also best played on consoles due to being able to play it with a friend next to you. Unless you only want to play it online of course. I never had any interest in that since its always filled with pretty much the worst people that online gaming has to offer.

Aside from fighters there also tend to be some great platformers and adventure games on it, especially in the digital only department. Recently they released a good number of PS2 games on the PSN for PS4, and they keep adding more. Pretty much none of those are available on pc.

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

I mostly play solo anyway and the Steam Link has all but eliminated the need for a console, I can play all my "couch playable" PC games on my couch now. And if I was feeling decadent enough I could take my keyboard and mouse and play Total War games on my couch too (I must confess I have done it with CiV V as you just need a mouse).

If RDR 2 is never released on PC then... I'll have to wait until the PS4 is ridiculously cheap.
    --------------Arengada--------------

If the story is anywhere as good as the first one its a buy for me.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Citizen

In the time between now and the last post, we've gotten two trailers (the latter of which released yesterday)

I see a younger John Marston!

And journalists got to see a demo and tell us what they saw (no gameplay, sadly)

A.B.A.P.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Can't wait to fire this up on my PS4. I'm sure it will be great.

It's frustrating though that between the release of the first trailer and the release of the game it will have been two years. But it wouldn't be a rockstar game if we didn't have to be patient.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Citizen

I don't expect to see anything at E3, Rockstar is known for skipping that, but hopefully soon, that slow trickle of info that they love to do will start.

A.B.A.P.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Will Rockstar even release this on the PC? We're still waiting on the first one to be ported.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Will Rockstar even release this on the PC? We're still waiting on the first one to be ported.
    First one won't ever get ported* due to being a technical cluster. Honestly it's a marvel the thing runs on both 360 and ps3, seeing as the ps3 was hell to develop for and basically didn't do anything right

I think there's a good chance 2 will come though, in the same way GTA5 came to PC. They'll improve it for 2 years, add some extra stuff and release the PC edition in 2020-2022, alongside the next generation of consoles.

* That said, you can actually play RDR on PC by subscribing to playstation now. It's like a streaming service, so the game runs over in Sony Towers somewhere and streams to your PC. Far from ideal, but it's something.
    Last edited by Mhaedros; May 12, 2018 at 05:15 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    * That said, you can actually play RDR on PC by subscribing to playstation now. It's like a streaming service, so the game runs over in Sony Towers somewhere and streams to your PC. Far from ideal, but it's something.
    Would that work with playing Playstation Exclusives such as Uncharted 4 or does it require you also owning a PS4?
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 20, 2018 at 03:16 AM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Would that work with playing Playstation Exclusives such as Uncharted 4 or does it require you also owning a PS4?
    I haven't actually tried it myself, but there are some exclusives. Doesn't seem like Uncharted 4 is one of them judging by a quick google. It doesn't seem like you need to own a PS4, but you do need a controller (all info according to the official page).

Basically you can play any game from a curated list of old ps2-3 and 4 games on your PS4 or PC for as long as you keep paying the monthly fee. There's even a free trial on PC so you can just try it out
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

This looks awesome. Notice you can see John Marston with his wife and son at 2:35.

Found these cut to Ecstacy of Gold too. Really the best trailer I think I’ve seen with it added.

Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post

After years of HATING consoles, I finally gave in last month and bought a PS4 Pro. Been playing Uncharted 4, Last of Us Remastered, Bloodborne, and will be playing RDR 2 tomorrow. There's a few more to try after that, such as Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War, maybe a sports game or two? Besides games taking forever to load, the experience hasn't been all that bad and these games look pretty good on a 4K TV.

This will be my first Rockstar Game ever, and I really don't know how I'm going to react to it. I certainly don't like what I'm hearing about company's labor practices, that's not surprising. Really, are there any good guys left in gaming? Bethesda? CD Projeckt Red? Paradox? Mr. Satomi?
    Last edited by Huberto; October 25, 2018 at 09:06 AM.

This will be my first Rockstar Game ever, and I really don't know how I'm going to react to it. I certainly don't like what I'm hearing about company's labor practices, that's not surprising. Really, are there any good guys left in gaming? Bethesda? CD Projeckt Red? Paradox? Mr. Satomi?
    Video game crunch-culture in general. (written in 2015)

Hello 100-hour weeks. (written October 14, 2018)

Red Dead Redemption 2 developers speak out. (written October 18, 2018)

Rockstar's crunch-culture specifically. (written two days ago)

More game makers come speak out. (written today)

An interview with the top of Ubisoft Montreal. (done in October 2018)

How Criterion avoids Crunch.

Decisions are sometimes hard, sometimes unpopular and sometimes you don't have all the information available to back them up. But you need to make them anyway or you can't move forward.

Leadership has a responsibility to the product and to the studio to ensure that the best quality product comes out at the end. Quantity does not necessarily equal quality. Editing a feature set and looking at a product holistically should allow you to edit out a great deal of things that don't add a great deal of value to the player. Focus on the most important things to the player. Player first. Don't give into fear and keep adding more features.

As well as a responsibility to the product, leadership has a huge responsibility to the team. Teams are passionate. Teams will add every single idea and feature they can think of if you let them. They'll work on features until they drop, to try and add as much quality as possible if you let them. It's up to leadership to have the responsibility and discipline to know what they are making, to not bite off more than they can chew.

It's up to leadership to ensure that their team know what will add the most value to the player and game. The team need to be given the confidence that they don't have to build everything.
    There are some good studios. The trick is not that they're the "ones left". It's that the video game players that give a damn how the designers are treated are starting to speak out and studios and publishers are starting to change their methods. The "ones left", while still a majority, are the ones running crunch culture.

Jason Schreier is the author of Blood, Sweat, and Pixels, a rather well known look at the hellfire of the development process of games ranging from Dragon Age to Star Wars to Destiny to Diablo III to Pillars of Eternity.

Now he's set his sights and is aiming for the culturally well known abuse the developers have always undertaken to get their jobs done.

Personally, while I did like the first one, I'm just tired of the crap. I've done crunches in my industry for a few weeks because of surprise project objectives. It happens every other year. It's a culture in video game development. And it's abusive. It's a sign of piss poor design.

I'm voting with my wallet.
    Last edited by Gaidin; October 25, 2018 at 03:52 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast