Thread: military power in 1220

Default military power in 1220

hi everybody. i'm playing SS late era, and I'd like to modify the starting units for every faction. to do this I'd like to know (approximately) how strong were the different factions. for example, was HRE stronger in numbers than the seljuk sultanate? what was the unit ratio between england and scotland? and so on.

obviously it's an impossible task to be perfectly correct, but any help would be really appreciated. thanx in advance!

Default Re: military power in 1220

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser29 View Post
    hi everybody. i'm playing SS late era, and I'd like to modify the starting units for every faction. to do this I'd like to know (approximately) how strong were the different factions. for example, was HRE stronger in numbers than the seljuk sultanate? what was the unit ratio between england and scotland? and so on.

obviously it's an impossible task to be perfectly correct, but any help would be really appreciated. thanx in advance!
    The Latin Empire was quite strong at this time, but that changes in a decade or so as the Nicaean Empire and Bulgarian Empire both rise up and handily stomp the Latin Empire. The only reason the Latin empire was alive in the coming decade at all was because too many powers wanted to secure the throne for themselves. The Seljuk Sultanate attacked the Mongols, which suggests that they were pretty confident in their military strength at the time. And at this time Venice was doing really, really well. Venice benefited greatly from the 4th crusade, which they sent to Constantinople, and they held power in the Latin Empire rivalling that of the Emperor himself. They used the Latin Empire to secure their own trade interests.

Then the Mongols came and wiped out the Sejuk Sultanate and the Bulgarian Empire, and the Hungarians, and the Rus, which is probably more significant then anything else I could mention.

From what I've learned, this is a period of great change. Where one year an Empire rises to power only to be completely crushed in the coming winter by some external force. I would argue that a snapshot of the given year wouldn't do justice to the time period.