Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Faction First Look: Kingdom of Castile

Default New Faction First Look: Kingdom of Castile

Crown of Castile

First unit preview: Caballeros (Tier 1)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A Few Reference Images:

Last edited by The_Fawn_Rescuer; October 20, 2016 at 11:14 PM.

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: New Faction First Look: Kingdom of Castile

OH nice! I am sure you will do a good roster, like you did it with the KJC )

hessam's Avatar Miles

looking forward to this

Oooh, colorful textures already.

Oh yeah, how many units would be shared between the Castilians and the Aragonese?
    A tip: If you want the unit to have unique vmd different from the Aragonese version, no need to create entirely new unit, just assign alternate faction-dependant vmd on the unit_variants table. So a single unit can have their own appearance depending on the faction.

Hey Fawn, you should try referencing from the Cantigas of Santa Maria. http://www.warfare.altervista.org/Ca...anta_Maria.htm

Lots of stuff featuring the Castilians and the same kind of helmets I made for the Aragonese were from referencing those images.

Foederatus

Very nice

Castile is coming along nicely. I’m having almost as much fun with this faction as I did making KJC, and I have a lot of really great ideas I think you all will enjoy.

Some new ingame images:

Officers

Banner
    This banner is based on examples of banners I have seen in museums such as the one in Fort San Angelo in Rome and the Royal Armory in Madrid (unfortunately I don't have pictures) that depict saints. This one is from a Spanish manuscript depicting Saint George slaying a moor that I re-worked with symbology for Sant Iago (St. James). I thought it was an appropriate image for Spaniards

Jinetes
    "Horsemen." Jinetes will be the primary cavalry unit for this faction. Melee cav with a precursor javelin.

As you can see from the second image, I also fixed the specular on my rusty helmet textures, so the helmets for low-class soldiers look more rudimentary and lower-quality from the ones worn by knights. Those, in addition to Slytacular's already excellent low-class gear looks fantastic on this unit.

I do most of my design work based on descriptions I've read in source material, but here are a few images to support the way I have depicted Castilian cavalry (left of first image are moors-in case anyone is confused):

As you can see from this and other images I have posted, they mostly wear light armor.

Castile will not play like most of the Western factions. Their heaviest native cavalry unit (Caballeros) will be significantly lighter than other knightly units (this is based on historical evidence of a tendency for Spanish cavalry to wear less armor than their French and English equivalents). They will rely more on speed and good coordination with their jinetes and missile troops in order to take on heavier cav. True heavy units for Castile will come exclusively from Military Order troops (Santiago, Calatrava, Hospitallers, etc.), and foreign crusader units.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Amazing!

Ghibellino's Avatar Foederatus

Very nice!!

They look excellent!

Dom1no's Avatar Libertus

Cool!

Would you add adarga into the Jinetes variant?

It's something I've been missing in Aragon as well.

Hi.

Though shields aside I think I need to seriously redo that unit's appearance. I don't think it matches any reference at all.

Lol I made a fool out of myself, thanks for correcting me .

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Hi.

Though shields aside I think I need to seriously redo that unit's appearance. I don't think it matches any reference at all.
    Honestly I think they are fine, the adarga is overused in that unit, though, in my opinion. They are lightly-clad horsemen with javelins. It's just a different interpretation, is all. Honestly my biggest gripe is that they aren't colorful enough!

Would you add adarga into the Jinetes variant?
    I suppose I could pepper a few in there. I haven't seen any depictions in artwork nor mentions of that shield carried by Christians in the 13th century. My understanding was that they started adopting it later. This, however, does not by any means prove they didn't use it back then. Honestly I was worried it would make the Castilian units look too much like moors, since the Adarga is so distinctive to them.

Great work and researches.

Hi guys, great work so far, I'm really enjoying how the mod is turning out. Having said that, may I just ask where are basing your conclusions regarding:

*Iberian knights where any less armoured during this early period than say, knights from France and England. Or anywhere else for that matter.
    *Jinetes/Ginetes were at all the main cavary arm of the Iberian Kingdoms.
    *Heavy cavalry was mainly drawn from religious orders

First look at the basic Tier 1 roster for Castile. First look at Military Order troops will be posted here soon as well. Added Adargas and peppered in some turbans here and there.

Caballeros
    Basic heavy cavalry unit for Castile. More lightly-armored than comparable knight units for other western factions. (references posted earlier in the thread)

Jinetes
    Basic melee cavalry unit for Castile. Lightly-armored, throws a precursor javelin. (references earlier in the thread)

Almogavars
    Basic melee foot unit. Lightly-armored, throws a precursor javelin

reference:

Lanceros
    Basic light spear unit.

reference:

Ballesteros
    Light crossbowmen.

reference:

Great work! Love the Moorish influences on the armor !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast