Thread: Lag in large battles (but CPU nor GPU are maxed out)

Default Lag in large battles (but CPU nor GPU are maxed out)

It seems anything over 5,000 men and I am getting quite a bit of lag, especially when the battle lines clash. It's odd as both my CPU and GPU usage are not at 100%. In fact my CPU usage remains at around 60 and the GPU sometimes spikes to the 90s, but often just remains around 60-70% depending on what graphics options I have enabled. I notice that enabling/disabling graphics options doesn't really have a large affect. I'm using an LAA now as well, so I don't think that RAM is the issue.

Originally I thought it was that my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU, however it appears that generally my GPU has more usage in game than my CPU....

Sometimes the GPU will max out at 99%, however I swapped out my old graphics card which was an AMD 5800 for a r9 270x 2GB and it's the exact same performance....

Current PC specs:
    4GB RAM 399mhz
    Intel core 2 dou E8400 3.0GHz
    r9 270x

EDIT:
    I also get lag on the campaign map, especially when moving a unit.
    Last edited by bthizle1; October 16, 2016 at 07:32 PM.

Default Re: Lag in large battles (but CPU nor GPU are maxed out)

Is your Medieval II TW installed in either Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder?

If it is, uninstall/move it somewhere else on your HDD, just as long it is not installed in either one of these two folders.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Is your Medieval II TW installed in either Program Files or Program Files(x86) folder?

If it is, uninstall/move it somewhere else on your HDD, just as long it is not installed in either one of these two folders.
    It already is. I noticed as well that my turn times weren't too bad (around 30 seconds or so give or take) however all of a sudden they are around 3 minutes...? This is regardless of the turn number, I've tested in in various games at various turn times. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    It already is. I noticed as well that my turn times weren't too bad (around 30 seconds or so give or take) however all of a sudden they are around 3 minutes...? This is regardless of the turn number, I've tested in in various games at various turn times. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input.
    Any recent Windows or Steam update?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Not that I can recall. I believe I fixed it. I uninstalled third age, and MTW II. Defragged my HDD reinstalled and now it's back to regular turn times. Still not performing very well on large battles, nonetheless this is such an incredible mod (along with MoS) that it is still very enjoyable. A great many thanks to all who dedicated their time to putting this together.

And thank you Elven kind for the prompt assistance

Just noticed one thing about your RAM MHz: you say it is 4GB RAM 399mhz.

Are you sure it is 399? Is it a laptop perhaps? Have you tried to open it and switch the RAM sticks (slot A into slot B and vice versa)?

Yes it's DDR3 399 MHz....it's quite and old mother board (ASrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+) it has 6 RAM slots, but only two of them are DDR3 slots (only for two 2GB too....). DDR3 I think had just come out when this board was realeased. Not even certain if it could handle 1600 mhz? If it could, do you think I'd notice a big difference in Third age (and perhaps gaming in general) if I acquired 2x 2GB 1600 mhz sticks? Do you think this would help with battles?

Oh I'd mentioned having fixed the long turn time problem. It's down to about 1 minute now which is acceptable. (I can always read practical things during this time)
    Last edited by bthizle1; October 20, 2016 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    Yes it's DDR3 399 MHz....it's quite and old mother board (ASrock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+) it has 6 RAM slots, but only two of them are DDR3 slots (only for two 2GB too....). DDR3 I think had just come out when this board was realeased. Not even certain if it could handle 1600 mhz? If it could, do you think I'd notice a big difference in Third age (and perhaps gaming in general) if I acquired 2x 2GB 1600 mhz sticks? Do you think this would help with battles?

Oh I'd mentioned having fixed the long turn time problem. It's down to about 1 minute now which is acceptable. (I can always read practical things during this time)
    If this is yours, then it supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 4GB non-ECC, un-buffered memory.

Get two 1333 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 sticks, faster RAM is always better.