Thread: Slavic Warriors

Icon5 Slavic Warriors

I'm currently in the midst of a Hungarian campaign (Early start, no mods, Hard difficulty), and I'm tinkering with my army composition after some hard-fought battles aaginst the Byzantines. One of the things I am considering is whether or not to keep recruiting Slavic Warriors. Sure, they're cheap, but they take up a lot of space in my armies, and, in my own personal experience, are not very good fighters at all. However, I have read accounts from other players of them doing very well as shock/ambush troops, so I created this thread to see what you guys think.

P.S. Is it just me, or are Varangian Guards WAY too powerful?

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Slavic Warriors

Well Lurch...

My know-how of the raw unit-roster of MTW these days is rusty as hell - I barely ever play it anymore (as you probably can imagine), and if I do its usually because of some clearly other reason then just enjoying the game as such - like for tests or something - that said... If memory serves, the "Slav Warriors" of raw MTW essentially suck, and are little better then peasants, but not by much. In short, had it been me (and if I had the time available), I would have avoided them if I could, this for better troops like feudal men-at-arms or something. Its costs more, but its well worth it all the way, once the battle begins... I think anyways...

As for the "Varangian Guards"... Yup, they are ridiculously powerful, in most cases there is little use in engaging them in close combat. There is only one reliable way to destroy them and that is to shot them down with massed/concentrated fire. Something like three squads of Bulgarian Brigands should do just fine on 1 unit of them Varangian bad boys...

- A