Thread: Reqest for information: Hungarian provincial titles

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Reqest for information: Hungarian provincial titles

Hello,
    I'm working on the provincial titles fix in another mod (SSHIP).
    Could you have a look at this entry and tell me what names should I use for Hungary?
    cheers
    JoC

Default Re: Reqest for information: Hungarian provincial titles

To be precise: I'm looking for the Hungarian word(s) denoting provincial title used in the Middle Ages by people entrusted with management of a province.
    I think “Ispán” should be used but maybe it should be in Latin?. Or for some povinces "ban"?
    I'll be grateful for hints.
    JoC

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    To be precise: I'm looking for the Hungarian word(s) denoting provincial title used in the Middle Ages by people entrusted with management of a province.
    I think “Ispán” should be used but maybe it should be in Latin?. Or for some povinces "ban"?
    I'll be grateful for hints.
    JoC
    Esztergom (Lower Hungary) Comes Stringoniensis
    Szekesfehervar (Lower Hungary) : Comes Alba Regiae
    Varad (Pannonian Plain) : Comes Varadiensis
    Gyulafehervar (Transilvania) : Voivoda Transsylvaniae
    Croatia (Zagreb): Banus Croatiae
    Dalmatia (Zara) : Comes Dalmatiae

Esztergom: Archbishop of Esztergom (Esztergomi érsek).
    Székesfehérvár: problem is that it was a royal city. It's name (Alba Regia) means "royal white". I would use the "Count palatinate" (nádor). If you want it to be available for other countries, then just use zhupan (ispan) even though it is not historical.
    Várad: the closest is the "Zhupan of Temes" (temesi ispán), but it is not the best match.
    Gyulafehérvár: Voivode of Transylvania (Erdélyi vajda)
    Croatia: Ban of Croatia (Horvát bán)
    Dalmatia: generally, if it had a sepearate title, it was tied to the Banate or Croatia ("prince of Croatia and Dalmatia")

Thanks a lot shikaka.
    The problem is, I have to pay attention to the other constraints present in M2TW/SSHIP.
    - the titles have to be the same for all catholic factions. So I decided to use latin in all cases, since ispan is only for Hungarian faction.
    - Esztergom - yes, I wanted to do like this, but there're agents priests (bishops, cardinals), so I cannot add ecclesiastical titles, they have to be "civil".
    - Count palatine - it already exists, but it's a ministerial title, not provincial. So I need to find another.
    - Dalmatia and Croatia are separate provinces in the SSHIP, so I need to come out with two different ones.
    So I need to make tough choices...
    thanks for the input!
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!