Thread: Question about modern greek pronounciation

Default Question about modern greek pronounciation

Sorry, not exactly about history, but I figure people interested in history might know the answer.

Right. I'm not going to actually write with greek letters, but I hope you understand the transliteration.

I know that the ancient diphtongs ai and oi becomes flat e and i respectively. for example, Toxotai is pronounced Toxote, and athanatoi is athanati in modern greek.

diphtong ei also becomes i. But I wonder, what happens in words like Kyrenaioi or Athenaioi? following the sound change rules, it should become kirinei and athinei respectively. aioi has now become ei. My question is, does this ei further simplify to just i? Or are the sounds pronounced separately? or is it a diphtong?

How is Kyrinaioi pronounced in modern greek? Is it kee-ree-neh-ee (without a diphtong)? Is it kee-ree-nee (ei made into i)? Or is it kee-ree-nay (with diphtong)?

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Question about modern greek pronounciation

To be able to tell the exact spelling, you'd have to look at the word written in Greek. The diphthongs are spelled differently depending on the place of the accent (tonos).

For example:

αι - spelled as "e" (epsilon)
    αί - spelled as "e" (epsilon)
    άι - spelled as "ai"
    αϊ - spelled as "ai"

Edit:
    So, if wikipedia's Κυρηναϊκή (Kyrenaike) and Ἀθῆναι (Athenai) are accurate, I think the modern spelling of Kyrenaioi and Athenaioi would be Kirinaii and Athinei. Note that I'm not a fluent speaker of Greek, so not 100% certain that these are accurate.
    Last edited by Charerg; October 15, 2016 at 05:03 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    To be able to tell the exact spelling, you'd have to look at the word written in Greek. The diphthongs are spelled differently depending on the place of the accent (tonos).

For example:

άι - spelled as "ai"
    αϊ - spelled as "ai"

Edit:
    So, if wikipedia's Κυρηναϊκή (Kyrenaike) and Ἀθῆναι (Athenai) are accurate, I think the modern spelling of Kyrenaioi and Athenaioi would be Kirinaii and Athinei. Note that I'm not a fluent speaker of Greek, so not 100% certain that these are accurate.
    Yes, i missed that there are accent marks that change the pronounciation in the word kyrenaioi. My question was just with -aioi in general, without any accent marks. So kyrenaioi was a bad example for me to use.

But yes, I actually asked a greek on another site how she would pronounce it, and she said that -aioi would become -ei. That is, both sounds are pronounced seperately, no diphthong. it is most likely as you say.

thank you.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post

For example:

άι - spelled as "ai"
    αϊ - spelled as "ai"

Edit:
    Correct

It is good that a significant part of the ancient language lives in the current version, despite changes. It is likely the best surviving thing in Greece tbh :/
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC