Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Games set on 17th century or 19th century?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Strategy Games set on 17th century or 19th century?

Hi,

Aside of Total War series, I am interested to know about other strategy pc games, preferably RTS set in 17th century and/or 19th century. What games would you recommend me?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Strategy Games set on 17th century or 19th century?

Steam has quite a few: Seven Years War, Ultimate Gettysburg, Mont and Blade, etc.

There's Pike and Shot, which I haven't played yet.

Pike & Shot is turn based, but back when it was launched it suffered plenty of minor (and couple of not so minor) issues which made the game borderline unplayable, but I no idea if the game has been improved with all the expansions it received.

Ultimage General Gettysburg is pretty decent, just lacking bit in details and gameplay flow is rather odd at times. Shame that you cannot play the "campaign" in multiplayer either.

Victoria 2 is grand strategy game as opposed to RTS but it's pretty damm good and so far my favourite Paradox made game ever. As a warning though, it may take a while before you really comprehend what is going on with the game.

Artifex

Grand Strategy:
    Europa Universalis 4
    Victoria 2 with the POP of Darkness mod
    Pride of Nations (never played it)

RTS:
    Cossacks 1-3
    American Conquest: Fight Back
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    Pride of Nations (never played it)
    I have 192 hours on Pride of Nations and it would be one of my favourite grand strategy games ever... if it wasn't for the absolutely awful turn-times.
    It has loads of depth and I really did enjoy playing it but the turn-times are literally 2-5 minutes long and that might be acceptable in one of AGEod's more limited and shorter games but when a game covers something like 100 years and a turn is 2 weeks (I think) it just makes it unplayable. Especially when you consider that years of that would be spent doing nothing but maintaining your economy and colonies.
    If they ever remade Pride of Nations or made a sequel, I would be all over it.

Thank you for the answers. I have Seven Years War and I like it, especially with Battle Pack dlc that allows you to make custom battles with huge armies. The problem is the fps impact, I sometimes get 11 fps but since in this game the animations are not as important as Total War games, I do not much care. I enjoy the battle tunes, this is the best feature that this game has that others not (each faction as his own battle tune).

I have been looking for gameplays of Pike and Shot, it's a shame is a turn-based strategy game but I am thinking about buying it because I like the era.

Could you please tell me in which consists Victoria II?

Cossacks 3 is recently out and quite good(really just a remake of Cossacks 1) It is set in the 17th and 18th Century, Very old schol, very little "historic about it, but still very good.

You also have Histwar Napoleon, still far from finished, but quite playable. Lets you play big battles set in the Napoleonic wars, I've personaly played battles with some 400 000 soldiers(shown as 200 000 models)
    Personaly I'm "finished" with it, untill they they patch it more(I'm speficaly waiting for the graphics/animation update)

Then you have Scourge of war, Both the gettysburg version with sevral other ACW battles added.
    You also have the newer Scourge of war: Waterloo game good game(I have my gripes about it)
    But it will let you play the entire battle of Waterloo, gives you a mini camapign, 3 full armies(Anglo-Allied, Prussian and French) I've personaly played a custom game with 380 000 soldiers(represented by 78 000 models)
    They have added expantion pack adding a second battle for the campaign, and soon a 2nd expantion. This will I think make it possible to play all 4 major battles of the War of the 7th Coalition/100 Days.

Again I'm kinda finished with the game, I'm wating for some expantion packs that add 1813 or 1812 or even better 1805-1809 period.
    There is allready a mod that adds Russians, and Austrians. The gettysburg game also has a mod that sets the game in the war of spanish succession(1700-1714)

As mention Pike and Shot(campaings,) let you play any war from 1494 to 1720, Turn based, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    Thank you for the answers. I have Seven Years War and I like it, especially with Battle Pack dlc that allows you to make custom battles with huge armies. The problem is the fps impact, I sometimes get 11 fps but since in this game the animations are not as important as Total War games, I do not much care. I enjoy the battle tunes, this is the best feature that this game has that others not (each faction as his own battle tune).

I have been looking for gameplays of Pike and Shot, it's a shame is a turn-based strategy game but I am thinking about buying it because I like the era.

Could you please tell me in which consists Victoria II?

Vicky 2 is one of the best games of all time in my opinion. Its a real time grand strategy game that starts in 1836 and ends in 1936 (though there is a lot of mods that change the dates) and basically you can pick any country in the world and develop its industry (or not) make war, alliances and etc.

For example taking the Empire of Brazil and making it come from a normal country to Secondary Power and eventually Great power, having spheres of influences, colonies in africa and etc, as well as being the world's greatest exporter of telephone, radios, tanks and airplanes is my favorite passtime!

If you are familiar with Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, its the same idea, though with a lot of different stuff, and yeah its way more complicated than those two.

Combat in it is quite simple just like in the other paradox games outside of the Hearts of Iron series, but it still is quite fun.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Thank you for your feedback, is greatly appreciated.

I am thinking about Pike and Shot and Victoria II. Somebody can explain me what are the battle mechanics in this game (how is a battle resolved)? Is included the colonial wars such as Indian Mutiny or Zulu Wars?

Also I recently bought the cheapiest version of Histwar Napoleon, 44 €. I have seen a price even of 2,000 € what's the reason of this huge difference in prices?

Thank you for your feedback, is greatly appreciated.

I am thinking about Pike and Shot and Victoria II. Somebody can explain me what are the battle mechanics in this game (how is a battle resolved)? Is included the colonial wars such as Indian Mutiny or Zulu Wars?

Zulu Wars is in Vicky 2 yeah. indian mutiny, well, if you play as the Uk you'll get tons of different revolutions and nationalistic uprisings in india.

(i suggest the pop demand mod that has a thousand more events on pretty much every country though)
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

Wrong quote

Also I recently bought the cheapiest version of Histwar Napoleon, 44 €. I have seen a price even of 2,000 € what's the reason of this huge difference in prices?
    Think of it as a kick starter thing. You give vast sums monies to help the development of the game

Who will pay 2,000 € for a game? That sounds ridiculous. I am not a son of an Emirati sheik.

Victoria Revolutions (Vic 1 with the Under the Sun Expansion) military mechanics are the same from hearts of Iron 2 which it easily exports into. Making it a very good war and economics simulator. Just use unit counters rather than the unit avatars and it looks so much better.

Older versions of EU are still worth playing. For The Glory which is EU2 with enhancements and incoperates the AGCEEP mod. EU3 with all the major expansions upto Divine Wind. Still a good game and is alot cheaper than EU4 with all its dlc content.

March of the Eagles which is focused on Europe during 1805 to 1820

Mount and Blade With Fire and Sword, Though the lack of artillery pieces is a negative.

Raied's Avatar Tiro

Pike & Shot is definitely one of the best Tactical combat game set in the 17th C, you cant go wrong with it. For operational level strategy try the AGEOD's Thirty Years War

Age of Empires 3 is one of my favourite strategy games of all times. It's set between the 16th-19th centuries, and it's a RTS. You should check it out. I would also recommend Mount and Blade Warband's dlc, the Napoleonic Wars (the whole game is worth buying just to play this dlc).

Thank you for your replies. I have seen a mod for Mount and Blade Warband Napoleonic Wars called Blood & Iron about Franco-Prussian war of 1870 and this is really appealing to me since I have not seen a game covering this war. I have a question regarding Mount and Blade: is a single player with multiplayer option game or just a MMO such as World of Tanks, World of Warships, etc...?

Its not an MMO. It has a sandbox singleplayer campaign, and a multiplayer where you can get some 300 players on the same server (but not an MMO definitelly,. There is no progression and no "character" or what not, you just choose a side, your equipment, then spawn and fight/die and etc).

A lot of the mods have a singleplayer campaign too, though im not sure about that one you mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast