Thread: Question about the front rank of ancient and medieval battle formations.

Default Question about the front rank of ancient and medieval battle formations.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering how was it decided who fought in the front rank of roman and medieval battle formations?
    I understand that the republican roman armies formed in three lines consisting of hastati, principes and triaari but how was it decided,who formed the front row of a hastati maniple?

Now I could imagine that soldiers who see the military service as an duty and an honor might volunteer, or even compete for a place in the front rank, but how about levied soldiers? Saxon fyrd or medieval feudal peasant levies?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Question about the front rank of ancient and medieval battle formations.

General speaking, in cold steel formation combat the first two ranks are what decides the battle; hence, experienced commanders, such as Emperor Maurice in his Strategikon, suggests that the first two ranks should be formed by hardy, experienced and motivated veterans, while others less experience should stay behind to provide fire support and staying power. Early Medieval researcher Bernard Bachrach also mentions in his works that early Carolingian commanders often picked the professional force (such as royal guards or retinue) as first rank and often it was those two ranks that suffered heavy casualty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..