Thread: [Preview] The Scordisci

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

Default [Preview] The Scordisci

Scordisci

Overview:
    For the earliest elements of celtic culture in the hinterlands of the eastern Adriatic coast, one must go back to the late 5th and early 4th centuries, when the earliest imported finds from celtic-speaking west central Europe begin to appear in areas south of the Alpine area and in the western Balkans.

The celts of the Adriatic region are mentioned most often in connection with the famous rulers of Hellenistic Macedonia. The earliest celtic grave finds from the Balkans belong to the period after 300 bc, and it is impossible to speak of a large density of Celtic settlement before the first half of the 3rd century bc. The Celtic tribes migrated into the hinterlands of the eastern Adriatic coast in two major distinct waves. The Taurisci settled in hilly eastern Slovenia and northeastern Croatia, while the greater and lesser branches of the Scordisci settled on the southern Pannonian plains between the Sava and the Danube. At the confluence of these two rivers they founded their centre, ancient Singidunon (now Belgrade, Serbia). other celtic groups continued northward, and eventually mingled with celts who had previously settled in Transylvania in present-day Romania.

Interactions between the Hellenic world and celtic migratory war bands and mercenaries are well described in historic sources. According to the Ptolemaic history of Alexander the Great, Alexander hosted a Celtic delegation from the Adriatic region during his expedition against the Triballi in 335 bc. The so-called Danubian Celts appeared in Greece in larger numbers just after Alexander’s death.

In approximately 310 bc, Casandrus defeated them in the area around Haemus (Mount Balkan). After defeating the Macedonian king Ptolemy Keraunos, the Celtic army, led by Brennos of the Prausi, crossed Thessaly and headed for Delphi. Some 30,000 Celtic warriors and their families crossed at Thermopylae in 279 bc and defeated the Greeks at Marathon. At Delphi that winter, the Greeks attacked and defeated the Celts, and the survivors retreated northward.

According to Strabo, the Tectosages collected a large amount of booty from Greece and subsequently settled around Tolosa (modern Toulouse, southwest France). Other tribes, including the Tolistobogii and Trocmi and others of the Tectosages, crossed the Dardanelles and penetrated further into Asia Minor as the Galatae (see Galatia).

Celtic influence in Thrace (roughly modern Bulgaria and European Turkey) is very modest, but these groups established a kingdom known as Tylis or Tyle on the Thracian coast of the Black Sea. This kingdom persisted until the later 3rd century bc, when its last ruler, Kauaros (cf. Welsh cawr ‘giant’), minted coins and imposed tribute on the nearby Greek city of Byzantion. The grave of a warrior from Ciumesti, Romania, which contains a helmet decorated with a huge bird, can certainly be connected with these early Celts. Helmets with reinforced crests are typical for these eastern Celts. One feature of Thracian-influenced Celtic style was the production of oversize ornamental objects, particularly apparent in some well-known pieces from western Europe—for example, at Trichtingen, where a silver torc weighing more than six kg was found, and probably at Gundestrup, Denmark, where the famous giant silver cauldron, about 80 cm in diameter, decorated with motives and cult scenes paralleled elsewhere in Celtic contexts, was found (see cauldrons; Gundestrup cauldron).

With the increasing influence of Rome in the 2nd century bc, the significance of Celts on the extreme eastern edge of Europe began to decrease rapidly. Their independence was slowly lost in a series of battles with the Roman legions, and one of the last of these Celtic tribes to submit to Rome were the Scordisci.

This faction overhaul will be released with 1.2

Units
    This faction overhaul adds 19 new units to the Scordisci besides 3 existing balkan celtic units. Here are some pictures of the new units:

Spear Infantry
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Early Celtic Champions) The Cauaros are the most skilled, famous, recognised, and powerful warriors of the Celts. During the Halstatt age, they were mostly heavy swordsmen, but their fighting techniques began to change, and they now favour the spear and close formation.

(Celtic Chosen Bodyguards) These really impressive warriors are in fact clients and bodyguards, chosen by and attached to a noble. In general terms, the Ambactes are chosen from the best in the warrior class and attached, possibly to the death, to their master, benefitting from his wealth. They are probably the very first in the warrior class to dream about buying chainmail.

(Celtic Levy Spearmen) These levies are recruited from outside the warrior class. Not well-trusted, they are poorly equipped with hastily-made wicker shields. Their main weapon is the spear, economical and efficient at short distances.

(Celtic Light Spearmen) These men carry a gaiso, a lancia, or any other intermediate-sized spear, which makes them usueful against enemy cavalry. They are not especially a defensive unit, but more a "guerilla warfare" unit, capable of fast tactical moves.

(Professional Spearmen) These professional spearmen, literally "those who march together," are the backbone of the Celtic infantry line. Well-disciplined and well-equipped as warriors, they use a long lancia (three meter-long spear), and a longsword as a melee weapon. They wear a helmet but no armour, or perhaps an affordable leather jacket under their tunic.

(Celtic Nobles) These Arjos have the best equipment available, including impressive helmets, highly decorated in order to be seen in the melee like a standard. They are numerous, and choose to fight on foot rather than from the safety of a horse. This attitude is less motivated by the quest of personal glory, than an immediate choice to be in the heart of their troops to motivate them.

Melee Infantry

(Celtic Clubmen) These men are a peasant levy, but are usually the strongest men around, chosen by the local chieftain. Their poor armament and protection makes them fast and well-suited for their task. The Batores are equipped with crude weapons, usually heavy clubs and various forestry and farming tools, like axes and other chopping instruments.

(Celtic Light Infantry) These light troops are called "those who march out" of the main army. They are brave and well-equipped, but not heavily armoured, because agility is the key of their tactics. They march on the wings of the main battleline, ready to take quick flanking maneuvers, ambushes, and other tactical moves.

(Celtic Medium Swordsmen) Although wealthy enough to afford a helmet, the Ueragris wear no armour, to be fast enough to intercept enemy skirmishers. They are battle-hardened and experienced warriors, and carry two heavy javelins and a longsword.

(Late Celtic Champions) These swordsmen are an evolved, late version of the classic champions. They can afford expensive chainmail with a surcoat of mail for adding protection to the shoulders and chest. Only the king and nobles of very high lineage could expect to enlist some of these warriors as soldiers. It is not unusual for these Uercingetes to have their own Ambactes.

Missile Infantry

(Celtic Archers) These archers are peasants recruited from local hunters; they are experienced and equipped with short swords. They are more sturdy than ordinary peasant levies, and they usually fight at the forefont before the main clash, softening the enemy ranks.

(Naked Spearmen) The Gaisates are naked or half-naked warriores armed with gaeso spears as their main weapons. They are posted to the rear of the army, and then moved to the forefront during the "tumultus gallicus" which precedes the assault.

(Celtic Medium Skirmishers) These fast warriors are specially trained to launch a short-range, but devastating weapon: the gaballa. It is designed, like a heavy pilum, to pierce any shield or armour, as well as injuring or killing any enemy fighters counterattacking the light forward troops.

(Celtic Slingers) These irregular slingers support the Celtic infantry line, and are capable of throwing their stones up to 230 or even 250 meters. In fact, they are devastating, but also easy prey in case of a counterattack, especially by cavalry.

(Celtic Youth Skirmishers) These skirmishers are equipped with a dagger, or more rarely, a short sword for close combat. Young and agile, they are primarly posted on the flanks of an army, both to prevent enemy flanking manoeuvers, and to outflank the enemy themselves and support their own cavalry.

Cavalry

(Celtic Light Horsemen) These light cavalrymen are very efficient as a screening and scouting unit. They are equipped with several affordable gaiso javelins for skirmishing, and also for close combat. Best for harrassing enemy light infantry and cavalry, they protect the flanks of the army and can drive away enemy cavalry.

(Celtic Medium Cavalry) These cavalrymen are generally not nobles, but warriors wealthy enough to afford a horse. They were versatile troops, carrying several javelins, a spear, and a sword or even an axe.

(Celtic Noble Cavalry) These highly skilled and valued nobles are equipped with a spear and a longsword, kept in reserve to deliver the fatal blow, charging and then fighting in melee. They would probaly not dismount, to allow them the ability to quickly flee and charge again, in the same manner as the noble charioteers of some Celtic tribes.

(Celtic General's Guard) These bodyguards are attached to the elected general of the whole tribal confederacy during a campaign. They are nobles of the highest rank, chosen from veteran noble cavalrymen as well as "companions," or nobles of the same house. Highly skilled and equipped, they can give the supreme crushing blow that disrupts enemy formations, allowing other units to exploit gaps in the enemy line.

Credits and Sources:
    -The Eb/EbII team for a lot of unit ideas
    -the guys from ancient-battles.com for their researching and unit ideas
    -Men at Arms 158: Gallic and British Celts
    -Celtic Warrior: 300 BC-AD 100
    -balkancelts

Default Re: [Preview] The Scordisci

I've never played as any celtic/germanic factions, but this made we want to give them a go! Amazing units as always, Ritter!
    Last edited by HighOnTea; October 07, 2016 at 07:55 AM.
    ---------------------------------Check out my mod --------------------------------

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoit8 View Post
    I've never played as any celtic/germanic factions, but this made we want to give them a go! Amazing units as always, Ritter!
    I used to be the same way, but I've changed my view on this over time. Historically speaking, the barbs rarely formed lasting empires or kingdoms, so I've always found it difficult to play with them without that narrative behind them. It just seems too unrealistic. Luckily with the Scordisci, they did form a potent political entity and have a pretty unique starting position for a Celt faction. Also, the prospect of marching a barb horde south and raiding and pillaging Greece is a really exciting and fun prospect. I'm definitely looking forward to trying these guys out. DeI does a great job of giving these barb factions some life that you just don't see in other mods.

Argive Strategos's Avatar Civis

There is no source of the Celts defeating or even reaching the Greeks at Marathon. It was not their target. The target was delphi which they failed to sack. The expedition was a major disaster to the Celts. The survivors became Tylis and Galatia.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    I used to be the same way, but I've changed my view on this over time. Historically speaking, the barbs rarely formed lasting empires or kingdoms, so I've always found it difficult to play with them without that narrative behind them. It just seems too unrealistic. Luckily with the Scordisci, they did form a potent political entity and have a pretty unique starting position for a Celt faction. Also, the prospect of marching a barb horde south and raiding and pillaging Greece is a really exciting and fun prospect. I'm definitely looking forward to trying these guys out. DeI does a great job of giving these barb factions some life that you just don't see in other mods.
    You're not the only one with that sort of hangup about playing one of the Celtic/Germanic/etc "non-civilized" factions. I've also always found it difficult to really buy into the idea that this minor barbarian kingdom I'm playing is realistically capable of becoming a major power. DeI has helped a lot with that feeling, actually. Back in Vanilla, with the limited rosters for groups like the Ardiaei and Odryssians, it never really felt quite right that I was creating an empire based on Rhompaia-wielding infantry or nothing but basic hoplites. DeI's realistic roster expansion via the reforms, the AOR system, and additional faction units really helps me buy into it more. Most factions now have some option to transition from a starting lightly armored/sophisticated army to a later game more heavily armored and balanced army. This was much more limited in Vanilla. So while I definitely agree with your political angle, my focus is just more on the military sophistication of whatever faction I play as. And thanks to DeI, every faction has a reasonable ability to attain a "civilized" level of sophistication. Or more simply put, everyone can gain access to main line infantry with chainmail.

Wow! Pretty impresive preview. I reeally love the different wood patterns on the shields :O

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Argive Strategos View Post
    There is no source of the Celts defeating or even reaching the Greeks at Marathon. It was not their target. The target was delphi which they failed to sack. The expedition was a major disaster to the Celts. The survivors became Tylis and Galatia.
    Whatever bro. William Wallace and his Celtic hordes straight up wreck'd all of Greece then got bored and ended up settling in the Ottoman heartlands.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; October 07, 2016 at 10:02 AM.

More life breathed into the zombified Celtic tribes of vanilla. Units look excellent! This will reduce the cookie cutter feel of the smaller tribes, especially in campaign where there are so many.
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Decanus

Very interested to see how a start position in between the Getae, Boii, and Ardiaei will work out. Definitely love the implementation of these non-Vanilla factions.

Ahh more uncultured dirty barbarians to slaughter, great addition, cant wait for my triumph.

These guys look really really good! Im a roman fan only and only play roman campaigns, but, this time i have to play this!

Excellent models once again Ritter (and all involved in their creation). Its going to be tough to know who to play as in 1.2.

Caius Bingerus's Avatar Tiro

what the hell, i cannot choose which faction using first time, it is really the greatest part of DeI (veteran player since 0.45) getting in touch with another faction with different layouts of positioning and units...wonderful chosen units btw! nice weekend to ya all
    ...the duty of a soldier ends only with his death...

Great work, I'm not a fan of barbarian factions, but Scordisci do sound tempting if I ever get around it...

Why is there such a huuuuge difference between the plunderers bonus for The Scordisci(150% bonus) and the Gallatian(25% bonus also to sack but it seems so insignificant)?

Quote Originally Posted by Imoen View Post
    Why is there such a huuuuge difference between the plunderers bonus for The Scordisci(150% bonus) and the Gallatian(25% bonus also to sack but it seems so insignificant)?
    Because the Scordisci are clearly way better at plundering

Nice stuff, hype +1

This is from over a year ago

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Holy mother of Necro

Quote Originally Posted by Imoen View Post
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that the Scordisci bonus is to RAIDING (meaning the army stance) not sacking settlements, in which case they're totally different beasts. Personally I don't actually find raiding to be good for that much. If my army's strong enough I might as well be taking the local settlement, and if not then I generally don't want to be dicking around in enemy territory with such an army. The only time I'll ever bother with raiding stance is when I just barely need 2 turns to get to somewhere, I'll raid on the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    This is from over a year ago
    Yeah, their playstyle now seems a lot more interesting. They have the Cordinau Orca elite swords from just a tier 2 barracks, they have a very strong early game but not so competitive once you get into the end. It really encourages you to push out hard early on.